Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should everybody fight for their job ?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Should everybody fight for their job ?

Obviously we know players like Ben, Hines, Troy, Casey, and any one of several possible others going into 2007 probably won't lose their starting spot but going into this camp I would hope that everybody takes the idea to heart that it's time to fight for your job in camp, strap up the helmets and see who wants it more ! Competition breeds excellence and may the best man win, whoever he is !

I think thats definably a benefit of bringing in an outsider, he has no real allegiances to long time players
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

House of Steel
    I agree with Dan, everything is up for grabs.

Gold Standard

Absolutely!

Players like Duce Staley who were coaches pets and took a long free ride without contributing should be served notice! New sheriff in town and the free rides are over. Players talents, attitudes, and potentials will be closely evaluated and players who are not carrying their weight won't be around for long! As it should be! Loyalty should be a one-way street from the players to the coach and not vice versa. A coaches loyalties should be to the fans and the owners........not the players! Its a performance oriented business and those who can no longer play at a competitive level should move on! Change is the operative word. Players just like teams are either on the rise or on the decline......nothing stays the same. Coaches must always guard against allowing personal relationships with their players cloud the professional decisions that must be made to keep the team moving up the mountain! Bill had lost that edge. Tomlin will bring it back!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Just the selection of an outsider like Tomlin sends a very huge message to the team, "NO FREE LUNCH" ....

Yep, the veteran Free Lunch program has ended and everyone must come in prepared to earn their spot on payroll next year.

Gold Standard

We need to keep Chidi Iwuoma

It really irked me that Chidi who is one of our best special teams players was cut and Duce Staley who really hadn't contributed since his first year we brought him here was kept! I thought that Chidi Iwuoma made an immediate impact on special teams as soon as he was brought back!

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

I've thought about this as well... should be a pretty intense camp with each player wanting to stand out. I'm sure their will be some players feeling insecure about their spot on the depth chart. When a new coach comes in he has no history with you and feels no loyalty towards any one player over another. I would think first impression means a lot.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    It really irked me that Chidi who is one of our best special teams players was cut and Duce Staley who really hadn't contributed since his first year we brought him here was kept! I thought that Chidi Iwuoma made an immediate impact on special teams as soon as he was brought back!

Dude that was just one of the moves that our team made that made me ! Cutting Chidi was a terrible move, keeping Duce so long was a terrible move. Then early on we cut Kuhn, brought in Cobb from the Pats, dropped him a few days later I think it was, then brought in Davenport and didn't use him till half way through the season I swear 2006 was about one of the weirdest years I can remember.

House of Steel
    You can say that again, Matt.

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

I wish but am beginning to wonder if that is something teams do anymore or if it is just lip service.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

Thread Information