Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Starks vs Mike Adams, who wins the battle at Left Tackle?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Max Starks vs Mike Adams, who wins the battle at Left Tackle?

The battle for LT between Max Starks and Mike Adams officially begins today. Now that Starks is off the PUP and will practice with the team, we'll get to see who's more ready to take over the position to start in week 1.

Like the article says, once Starks gets into his first contact and then sees how the knee reacts the next morning, we'll know better healed he really is.

So, if both players are healthy, who do you start in week 1 this year? Starks or Adams?

It might not be as clear cut as you think though, do you just throw Adams to the wolves and learn on the fly or do you let the veteran get in there to protect Ben until Starks has more practice time to learn?

Max Starks practiced for the first time since suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament seven months ago, while rookie Mike Adams returned to to practice after missing a week with a knee injury.

“They're valuable guys, and there's no question they need to be on the grass,” Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said. “Mike got back out there (Thursday) and we're looking forward to Max getting his hat in the ring.”

Both players are still working their way into game shape. Starks, who started training camp on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list, admitted Thursday he won't play in the Steelers' second pre-season game Sunday against Indianapolis at Heinz Field.
    “Not even close,” he said. “This is a gradual immersion back into the offense.”

Starks had a light practice Thursday, just working out in individual drills. He is expected to practice in pads for the first time Friday. He said he is ahead of schedule in his rehabilitation, but won't know how well until he experiences some contact.

“It's a different intensity level once you put pads on,” said Starks. “Once you get that contact for real, and actually go through it, and see how your knee reacts the next day ... if there's swelling, if it's stiff, those are the biggest questions I'm looking forward to getting answered.”
    Adams, the Steelers' second-round pick, endured a full padded practice and worked with the second-team at left tackle. He originally injured his knee in the Steelers' preseason game last Thursday againstPhiladelphia.

Adams said he and Starks worked out together while healing their injuries. The time together led to their agreement that the battle for the starting tackle spot can not be settled until they both participate in contact drills.

Coaches were impressed with Adams in the early stages of training camp. He earned the start in the preseason opener. But the second-round product from Ohio State struggled, allowing 2.5 sacks on 18 snaps.

His performance is one reason coaches are eager to see Starks in action.

“I'm still a long way away in my mind," Starks said. "There's a lot of things that obviously have to be put in order. I have to show enough progress before we get to that point.”

CBS Sports Pittsburgh
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-17-2012 at 08:17 AM.

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Adams......The Future is NOW.....

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I don't know who will start the season at LT, but my money is on Adams to finish it.

Max Starks vs Mike Adams, who wins the battle at Left Tackle?

Adams. I personally think him getting his butt beat last game will be the spark needed.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

i think a lot of people overreact about adams rough game against the eagles, i think he will improve immensely over the next few weeks

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I'm not sure he starts, but I think he'll be the starter at that position for most of the season.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

id actually like to see him on the right and gilbert on the left for a game, that might be the way to go for this year

My Mood
    Impatient

Re: Max Starks vs Mike Adams, who wins the battle at Left Tackle?

I prefer Adams, but I don't think Starks would be a downgrade. I think Adams will be starting after the bye week, if he isn't starting in Denver.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Siii using tapatalk 2

My Mood
    Clowns
    I think a lot of people over reacted to Adams' rough start too. It's one preseason game, his first professional action ever. He'll grow into his job but playing LT "ain't like dustin crops boy!"

I can go either way, start the best player and the most healthy one. I'm not much of one who likes flipping players around mid season, if Gilbert can start and stay at RT then keep him there. Let Starks and Adams battle it out.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Re: Adams' first pre season game, the Eagle players that took his lunch money were backups. Adams has big problems with speed rushers and needs a lot of work, we' ll see how he responds to some coaching.

So, if i'm the coach I go with Starks at LT he's much betteron the left than right side
    Last edited by jpele; 08-17-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Thread Information