Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Peter King doesn't think much of the Steelers O-Line

Bookmark and Share
    Banned
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Did you see Dwyer's big run last year?? His first carry he went 60 yards in a real game! I forget who they played. But he's done this whenever he gets enough carries. But you want to dismiss it.
    I want to dismiss what? The question is not whether Dwyer will be the better back. Personally, being so cocksure of a guy with 25 career NFL carries seems a little strange as well, but so be it. He may very well be. I have a few points. 1) Neither have enough game carries (Redman about 150 or so) to determine who will be better. 2) The comments in the other two threads were not based upon actual game performances. They were based on 2 carries by Dwyer, one a very nice run but through a 5 yard wide hole cut through the second team defense. They were also based upon Redman's 5 carries against the first team offense by people who either did not watch the game and relied solely on stats or had a preconceived bias. Redman looked strong, with 4-5 yards on 3 first or second down runs, 3 yards on a 4th and 1, and an end run that went for negative 2 that was stacked up before he had a chance. 3) People here were criticizing Peter King strongly for making judgments based on a handful of plays. They are preaching to the choir here. However, many of the same people made judgments regarding Redman/Dwyer on fewer plays.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Look,

When Dwyer gets a chance, he's shined. That's the bottom line. Spine it how you need to so you can sleep better at night. Gzzzz
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Banned
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Look,

When Dwyer gets a chance, he's shined. That's the bottom line. Spine it how you need to so you can sleep better at night. Gzzzz

LOL The one revising history is you. The following is from the original post that I commented on (emphasis mine):

Second thing I got from last night's game is that Dwyer should be the #1 back over Redman. I love Redman and I think he should get his fair share of carries, but I believe Dwyer is the most talented RB on that roster (he could be better than Mendenhall if he stays healthy). If this were a real game, Dwyer would have had over 100 yards last night. Easily. And the Eagles have one of the best run defenses in the league.
    In other words, the OP (and others supporting him in this and another thread) were basing Dwyer's ascension to #1 on the depth chart on 2 carries against the second string Eagle defense. Sounds an awful lot like my complaint...

And here was my comment on that thread:

I agree with most of your thoughts.

However, I would disagree with your assessment of the RB situation. Dwyer may or may not be better but Thursday night was no indication of it.

Dwyer had 40 yards on two carries. Not much to go off of, especially when you consider that most of it came on a single run where the hole was big enough for Casey Hampton and Alameda Ta'amu to walk through arm in arm. Any RB on the roster would have made approximately the same yardage.

I have seen some criticism on other threads of Redman for not being explosive as Dwyer the other night. Hogwash. Redman looked just fine. He had 5 rushes. Three were 1st or 2nd down runs that went 4-5 yards. Who would complain if we were getting 4-5 yard runs on first down all season? Haley and Tomlin sure would not. Another was a 4th and 1 rush for 3 yards. Again, who could complain? The other run was an end run that the Eagles were all over and he lost 1-2 yards. Like the long Dwyer run, any RB on the roster would have had the same result.

We have what appears to be 2 competent backs on the roster capable of starting. One will show himself to be better than the other but Thursday night was no indication of who it is. Pure stats can be misleading and are in this case.
    Again, pretty much the same thing I said here. I do not expect an apology, as I suspect you are not man enough to admit that you are wrong. My opinions have stayed consistent.I did not "spine" it in any way, shape, or form.

My Mood
    Bungals
    Ditto sorry for the duplicate
    Last edited by Shaner83; 08-15-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: forgot to add quote

My Mood
    Bungals
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    I don't think much of Peter King.
    Ditto

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    You post half-truths. Your very first post discounted what Dwyer did. But what he did is consistent to what he's done when given the opportunity. If you were right about something, I'd happily apologize to you. No problem. But you have to be right to get that apology. And your not. Based on your initial post about Dwyer.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Draft Pick
    Just put him in the HOF since he's clearly earned it.

Banned
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    You post half-truths. Your very first post discounted what Dwyer did. But what he did is consistent to what he's done when given the opportunity. If you were right about something, I'd happily apologize to you. No problem. But you have to be right to get that apology. And your not. Based on your initial post about Dwyer.
    Yikes. Reading. It's fundamental.

My first post was not a criticism of Dwyer. It was a SPECIFIC comment to the OP who deemed Dwyer the best RB based SOLELY ON HIS PERFORMANCE AGAINST THE EAGLES. If he had brought up "what he's done when given the opportunity" in the regular season, I would have addressed it. He did not, so I did not.

Nor did I "discount" what he did. I stated facts, not "half-truths" as you call them in a cowardly fashion, without being specific regarding what I stated was a "half-truth." He had only 2 rushes. They were against the second team defense of the Eagles. His long run was through a hole anyone could run through. If you disagree, post the video for all to see and explain why it was such a brilliant run.

Again, I never criticized or "discounted him." Again, here are my comments (emphasis added):

Dwyer may or may not be better...
    We have what appears to be 2 competent backs on the roster capable of starting. One will show himself to be better than the other...
    The only criticism you appear to have is that I am not a full-throated supporter of your "Dwyer 4 the HOF" campaign based on his 25 NFL carries and feel that ACTUAL GAMES will determine which is better. Glory be! What a radical I am!

In a nutshell, grow up.

Id roll with Dwyer over redman every single time, to me its clear hes the superior back. If dwyer doesnt get touches because redman is slightly more experienced im gonna be really annoyed. Mendenhall blows them both away talent wise, but when dealing with misfits and backups you have to take the higher upside back eventually

also, peter king is an idiot. i would kill for his job though

Is Dwyer playing Sunday? Or are we running the Ole Ford..

Thread Information