Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Rainey, the next goal line back?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Chris Rainey, the next goal line back?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, but he was taking snaps in camp in the goal line drills over the weekend and also played some against the Eagles. He's not a guy that you want pounding it up the middle like Redman or Dwyer but there's nobody that's getting to the outside quicker than this guy that's for sure.

Speedster running back Chris Rainey has shown the Steelers just about everything through 2 1/2 impressive weeks of his first NFL training camp.

But Rainey as a goal-line back? That was new.

The 5-9, 180-pound (and that's generous) rookie from Florida was getting the ball during the popular goal-line drills Sunday at practice.

To be fair, his participation in the drill was more out of necessity and a last-man-standing quality than anything else. Nagging injuries to Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer kept them out of practice, and fellow back John Clay left the workout with a hip/groin injury.

That left Baron Batch and Rainey, who used his blazing speed to score a touchdown during the Steelers preseason loss at Philadelphia Thursday. But that, like most of his touchdowns at the University of Florida, was in the open field. Lining up at the 1 1/2-yard line behind a two-tight end set was different.

"Obviously, he doesn't fit the cookie-cutter of a man who runs in that situation, but he did a nice job today," coach Mike Tomlin said.

"We don't have him in the box, we really don't. He's done just about everything we've asked him to do and we'll continue to find ways and see if he's capable of doing things."
    CBS Sports

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    He's not a guy that you want pounding it up the middle
    Batch Either.

I like this kid..

he might be a guy you want pounding it up the middle. Hes going to need good blocking but sneaky little guys can be good goal line backs with decent blockers in front. He has the ability to squeez in a tight spot or go over the top. Not gonna truck over LBs but theres been some successful backs around the goal line that arent exactly bruisers

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I can see him flying over the line but can't see him pounding the ball anywhere..LOL

If they get good blocking and give him a toss on either side he can take off and outrun the pursuit.

My Mood
    Roflol
    I think they need to bring in another camp body rb. Where's Chad Spann when you need him?
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

Change Legs to a FB! He's got the name, just change his #!

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    he might be a guy you want pounding it up the middle. Hes going to need good blocking but sneaky little guys can be good goal line backs with decent blockers in front. He has the ability to squeez in a tight spot or go over the top. Not gonna truck over LBs but theres been some successful backs around the goal line that arent exactly bruisers
    I kinda see your point, a young LT comes to mind. Some guys just have a nose for the goaline. Either way, i'd love to see 1st and goal come out in 4 wide with Rainey as the lone back, lol!(Some Steelers fans would lose thier minds!!!) It will almost force a time out by the defense. If not, your gonna have GL personel for the defense trying to line up with a 4 wide set, run the draw or quick pass to the biggest mismatch! I digress... i see your point though: i really think the GL back duties will be an evolving process all year long.

LT, bush, sproles, Westbrook, even Steve slaton during his short career were good around the goal line without being a bruiser

Banned
    LOL Good stuff. Baron and Chris are getting reps on the goal line because they are HEALTHY.

Thread Information