Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts after 1st pre-season game

Bookmark and Share
    Rookie Free Agent Blitzburgh_Mike's Avatar

My thoughts after 1st pre-season game

First just wanted to say I haven't read the other threads about last night's game yet so I apologize if I sound repetitive or sound like I'm echoing someone else's opinion.

The first thing that I saw last night, which I'm sure many have also seen, was Mike Adams getting beat from the outside pass rush. He looked a little lost on the pass protection. I'm not really worried about him though. It's too early for that. It's gonna take him some time to get used to the speed of NFL defensive ends. He will get better as the season progresses. DeCastro, on the other hand, looked great. He seemed very comfortable playing that right guard spot.

Second thing I got from last night's game is that Dwyer should be the #1 back over Redman. I love Redman and I think he should get his fair share of carries, but I believe Dwyer is the most talented RB on that roster (he could be better than Mendenhall if he stays healthy). If this were a real game, Dwyer would have had over 100 yards last night. Easily. And the Eagles have one of the best run defenses in the league.

Third thing I noticed is that Todd Haley is using Chris Rainey exactly how I hoped he would be used. Rainey should be used for both Special Teams units (kickoffs and punt returns; basically anything where he is given open field to run), which keeps AB (Antonio Brown) focused on just being the main slot guy for Big Ben. And Rainey can also be used for 3rd down bubble screens which, if given just a little room, Rainey could take to the house. I don't really care if Rainey doesn't get many carries. Let Dwyer, Redman, Clay, Batch take care of that.

Lastly, who is #39 on Pittsburgh's second team secondary? That guy is a stud. He is so quick and tackles as well as anybody on the team. Although everybody tackles well. The Steelers are the best tackling team in the league bar none.

Overall, I was pretty satisfied with what I saw last night. They need Wallace back on offense, but they showed that have plenty of playmakers that can move the ball without him. Defensively, the run defense is still solid but they are still getting beat by the deep-ball. We can't give Manning the deep ball opportunities that were available last night. He'll pick us apart. Looking forward to seeing the team back against Indy.

Would love to hear anybody else's comments about the team and the game.
    Last edited by Blitzburgh_Mike; 08-10-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Draft Pick
    I'm pretty sure Walter Mcfadden is #39.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I thought Walter got released.

My Mood
    Manic
    No Walt is still on the roster bryant was cut

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I agree with most of your thoughts.

However, I would disagree with your assessment of the RB situation. Dwyer may or may not be better but Thursday night was no indication of it.

Dwyer had 40 yards on two carries. Not much to go off of, especially when you consider that most of it came on a single run where the hole was big enough for Casey Hampton and Alameda Ta'amu to walk through arm in arm. Any RB on the roster would have made approximately the same yardage.

I have seen some criticism on other threads of Redman for not being explosive as Dwyer the other night. Hogwash. Redman looked just fine. He had 5 rushes. Three were 1st or 2nd down runs that went 4-5 yards. Who would complain if we were getting 4-5 yard runs on first down all season? Haley and Tomlin sure would not. Another was a 4th and 1 rush for 3 yards. Again, who could complain? The other run was an end run that the Eagles were all over and he lost 1-2 yards. Like the long Dwyer run, any RB on the roster would have had the same result.

We have what appears to be 2 competent backs on the roster capable of starting. One will show himself to be better than the other but Thursday night was no indication of who it is. Pure stats can be misleading and are in this case.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    I agree with most of your thoughts.

However, I would disagree with your assessment of the RB situation. Dwyer may or may not be better but Thursday night was no indication of it.

Dwyer had 40 yards on two carries. Not much to go off of, especially when you consider that most of it came on a single run where the hole was big enough for Casey Hampton and Alameda Ta'amu to walk through arm in arm. Any RB on the roster would have made approximately the same yardage.

I have seen some criticism on other threads of Redman for not being explosive as Dwyer the other night. Hogwash. Redman looked just fine. He had 5 rushes. Three were 1st or 2nd down runs that went 4-5 yards. Who would complain if we were getting 4-5 yard runs on first down all season? Haley and Tomlin sure would not. Another was a 4th and 1 rush for 3 yards. Again, who could complain? The other run was an end run that the Eagles were all over and he lost 1-2 yards. Like the long Dwyer run, any RB on the roster would have had the same result.

We have what appears to be 2 competent backs on the roster capable of starting. One will show himself to be better than the other but Thursday night was no indication of who it is. Pure stats can be misleading and are in this case.
    Agreed, I have been puzzled on the Redman bashing as well. Granted the guy is not Emmitt Smith, but all he seems to do is produce. If he gets 4 to 5 yards a carry I have no complaints (against the first team defense).

Who remembers the TD reception against the Ratbirds a few years ago around the 10-yard line that Redman scored on pure will and determination. Did that propel us into the play-offs?

I'll take his heart and determination any day on my team.

We have a fine stable of backs that are a nice compliment to each other. A lot of teams would like to have this problem.

C-town

Without Mendenhall, I wouldn't say we have a "fine stable of backs"... Batch and Clay have shown absolutely nothing to make anyone believe that they deserve playing time, Redman is a situational, complimentary back that can have some production but lacks any explosion whatsoever, and Dwyer needs to do it consistently. Dwyer has the talent to hold down the fort until Mendenhall can come back, but he needs to show he can stay in shape, stay healthy and carry the load.

And just one more thing. I love Dwyer, I think he can be a solid starter for us, but I keep seeing this "Dwyer has more ability than Mendenhall" talk and, imo, it's absolutely ludicrous.
    Last edited by Big T; 08-11-2012 at 11:57 AM.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Without Mendenhall, I wouldn't say we have a "fine stable of backs"... Batch and Clay have shown absolutely nothing to make anyone believe that they deserve playing time, Redman is a situational, complimentary back that can have some production but lacks any explosion whatsoever, and Dwyer needs to do it consistently. Dwyer has the talent to hold down the fort until Mendenhall can come back, but he needs to show he can stay in shape, stay healthy and carry the load.

And just one more thing. I love Dwyer, I think he can be a solid starter for us, but I keep seeing this "Dwyer has more ability than Mendenhall" talk and, imo, it's absolutely ludicrous.
    I was counting Mendenhall to the stable. There is a lot of teams that would like to have this "problem". The Packers are on the cusp of signing Cedric Benson. Yoi!

2nd String
    I remember that perfectly. I distinctly remember Ray Lewis getting his hands on Redman pretty good. Instead of making a textbook tackle, if you watch closely, you can see him try to strip the ball. That might have cost them the game. And then he fell, and watched Remdan go into the redzone on his hands and knees. I need a poster of that! Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Agreed, I have been puzzled on the Redman bashing as well. Granted the guy is not Emmitt Smith, but all he seems to do is produce. If he gets 4 to 5 yards a carry I have no complaints (against the first team defense).

Who remembers the TD reception against the Ratbirds a few years ago around the 10-yard line that Redman scored on pure will and determination. Did that propel us into the play-offs?

I'll take his heart and determination any day on my team.

We have a fine stable of backs that are a nice compliment to each other. A lot of teams would like to have this problem.

C-town

After watching the game I am very impressed with the young guys on our team.

1. McClendon is a a certified beast and very smart on the field. You can tell he really picked Hoke's brain. He gets his hands on on the center quick and as soon as he realizes it's a pass he basically bull rushes them into the quarterback. When it was a run either he made the play or he he takes out blockers so that people behind him can make the play.

2. Dwyer and Redman is a good combination, in short yardage situations Redman is unstoppable and Dwyer is better in the open field. They should split carries and let Rainey play exclusively on 3 and 7 or more. Dwyer is great on stretches and counters because you don't expect him to be that shifty but he can drop that shoulder on you too. Redman is better at running straight up the gut. I agree with some that he is not that explosive running side to side but when it's straight up the middle he explodes quicker than anyone on the roster.

3.In the secondary Cortez is going to be a star in the next 2 years. I specifically remember a play where Desean jackson caught a quick comeback and by the time he caught the ball Allen closed in on him and mirrored every move he made. He is a hell of a tackler and did well in coverage. I didn't think he was as fast as he was thursday. Walter McFadden played pretty well also, he is a great tackler. I also want to see more of Golden at either safety position, he seems to have a lot of potential. Lewis was about the same as last year to me. I think Brown still needs a year ,but he has all the talent to be a good corner for us he just has to be more alert when the ball is in the air.

4.At linebacker I think Chris Carter is going to take Worilds spot before the season is over. He put pressure on the QB on every play and the biggest improvement was he seemed to be strong enough to set the edge. He also seemed more disciplined as far as not over running the play and leaving a lane for the running back. Spence will be a future star with us, the kid knows the scheme pretty well and to be undersized he can hold his on in traffic. Something thats going to make our defense even harder to figure out when he is on the field is his speed and how far back he can blitz from. The guy blitz from about 7 yards from the line of scrimmage and he hit the QB as he was releasing the ball and boy did he hit him. The guy has some serious speed.

5. The offensive line did about what I expected I knew Adams would struggle with the ends of the Eagles, because their all short and fast which would give anybody 6-7 300 plus a problem. I think he is our future at the position and he has great feet just has to get better position in pass blocking. I think this was a great for his first nfl game now he knows what to expect. Decastro did really well and has taken a spot in my opinion.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Thread Information