Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Steelers free agent signing will have the biggest impact?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Which Steelers free agent signing will have the biggest impact?

There aren't many of them, but each year the Steelers bring in some second tier free agents to help fill in spots where they need depth. Which one, as listed by CBS Sportsline, will have the bigger impact this season?

TE Leonard Pope: The Steelers might not make big free-agent signings, but this year they sure made a BIG free-agent signing. Try 6-foot-8, 264 pounds big. Pope has made a career of going where new Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley has -- from Arizona to Kansas City to Pittsburgh. As might be expected, he's shown some good blocking skills in practice. He's also shown some hands. Pope looks like he'll be a nice No. 2 tight end and complement to Heath Miller.

LB Brandon Johnson: Signed during OTAs in June, Johnson is known as a special teams ace. He has the potential to be a captain of the special teams unit -- if he makes the team. Johnson is not thought of in terms of being much of a contributor at linebacker, though a spate of injuries on the outside has had him getting plenty of reps there this camp.

LT Max Starks: Starks' addition to this list comes with an asterisk since he played for the Steelers last season -- and the seven before that. But, like the previous offseason, Starks was allowed to become an unrestricted free agent partially due to an injury concern, no team signed him and Pittsburgh scooped him up late. Last season, it was a neck ailment that left him jobless into October. The Steelers signed him and immediately make him their starting left tackle. Starks tore an ACL in the playoff loss in Denver, and the Steelers waited until just before camp began to re-sign him. Starks has yet to be removed from the PUP list, and rookie Mike Adams appears to be asserting himself at left tackle.

LS Matt Katula: Yes, we're down to the backup long-snapper. That's just how little the Steelers use free agency. Katula is an eight-year veteran brought in to push long-time Pittsburgh long-snapperGreg Warren.

probably johnsons, similar to how keyaron fox contributed...nothing special, but solid

starks doesnt count lol

Pope...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

pope is pretty terrible, i wouldnt expect him to be around after saunders gets back

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    pope is pretty terrible, i wouldnt expect him to be around after saunders gets back
    Stop it, he's awesome...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You don't think Pope is going to make the final roster? He's a Todd Haley special. Saunders will make the team, he's had a good camp so then it comes down to either McCoy or Pope, and unless the team bucks the veteran trend that they love, I would think Pope would be here for atleast this year.

My Mood
    Manic
    Paul cox

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    You don't think Pope is going to make the final roster? He's a Todd Haley special. Saunders will make the team, he's had a good camp so then it comes down to either McCoy or Pope, and unless the team bucks the veteran trend that they love, I would think Pope would be here for atleast this year.
    i could see him being inactive on game days once saunders suspension is up, i think he makes the team but regardless of him following haley he hasnt done much under him

My Mood
    Addicted
    LB Brandon Johnson: Signed during OTAs in June, Johnson is known as a special teams ace. He has the potential to be a captain of the special teams unit -- if he makes the team. Johnson is not thought of in terms of being much of a contributor at linebacker, though a spate of injuries on the outside has had him getting plenty of reps there this camp.

Adds depth and is familiar with 3-4 system. Good solid addition. Thanks - Bungholes!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I keep hearing people barking about how great of an addition Johnson is, but hurt or not, there's no way he'd get the start over Foote on the inside. Even if Foote didn't play well or got hurt I want to see Sylvester get in there and do something now that he's in his 3rd year.

Thread Information