Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Who's your 5th WR for the Steelers?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Fine
    Funny you should compare Parker's TD numbers to Mendenhall's ... Parker was not used in goalline situations ... but hell, let's throws apples to apples out the window ...

Whatever! ...

What's the fear? ... that Redman proves you wrong? ... that an undrafted off-the-radar RB from an unknown blip of a college could become more productive than a former 1st rounder out of a Big 10 university? ...

To date, I haven't once said to myself "oh ****! ... another handoff to Redman! ... WTF!"

NO!

On the contrary ... every time Redman has touched the football in a Steelers regular season contest, I've pumped my internet bully muscles into an absolute frenzy! ...

Why?

Because regardless of what YOU say, Redman kicks ***!

Mendenhall is not adrian peterson, and he has not played in an offense like matt forte or MJD where they are accountable for like 60% of the yardage, and hes run behind misfits all of his career, musical chairs at offensive line with pathetically terrible run blockers.
    ... and Redman has somehow been even more fortunate? ...

Redman is the great unknown ... he of exactly one NFL start! ... Mendenhall gets to watch for a while! ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    you think redman has ANY place on that list??????????????????????????? he is not a great RB by any means, he will have plenty of chances to prove that to us this year. We drafted mendenhall to upgrade willie parkers position, and we certainly accomplished that.

i think its laughable he gets 3400 yards and 29 TDs in 3 seasons starting and you just expect more. he has 5 more TDs in 3 years than willie parker had in 6, and willie parker broke the steelers TD record in a single season. Mendenhall is not adrian peterson, and he has not played in an offense like matt forte or MJD where they are accountable for like 60% of the yardage, and hes run behind misfits all of his career, musical chairs at offensive line with pathetically terrible run blockers.

redman might be more relentless but hes far less talented, slower, and everyone knows that. not like we have teams lining up to take redman off our hands. I dont know what you expect a "breakout" to be for a RB, but hes broken out more than mcfadden and stewart did, i suppose we could have given him a ton of carries even when losing to get him to a milestone like the titans did with chris johnson, but the steelers were too busy not being a losing team. I "expect" 1000+ yards from a starting RB, mendenhall has done that for us.

rather than disregard what a **** offensive line and a ****** offensive coordinator guys like mendenhall and wallace have had and still produced, maybe consider that the ****** blocking and ****** play calling had an affect on their production and as that gets better so will they. Both guys i would love to see featured in todd haleys offense with an improved oline, theyve shown enough with bruce arians abortion of a game plan and misfit blocking for them (and roethlisberger in wallaces case) to be excited what improvements can bring.
    I'd add somethng to this post but you've said it all already!!! When you look at Mendenhalls numbers compared to the best in the league at his posistion, no he doesnt jump off the page at you. Since the day he was drafted NO ONE has confused us for a running team like the Titans, Raiders, Pathers, Jags etc. When healthy Mendenhall is a 1200 yard 10+ td back with an avg well over 4 yards per carry.... i dont see how you could ask for more out of a guy under the offense he played in. Throw in his added value as a GREAT blocker in pass pro and his ability to catch passes out of the backfield (something we all hope to see out of Haley) and Mendenhall WILL thrive in this offense! He's a damn good 3 down back in the right offense!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
    Funny you should compare Parker's TD numbers to Mendenhall's ... Parker was not used in goalline situations ... but hell, let's throws apples to apples out the window ...

Whatever! ...

What's the fear? ... that Redman proves you wrong? ... that an undrafted off-the-radar RB from an unknown blip of a college could become more productive than a former 1st rounder out of a Big 10 university? ...

To date, I haven't once said to myself "oh ****! ... another handoff to Redman! ... WTF!"

NO!

On the contrary ... every time Redman has touched the football in a Steelers regular season contest, I've pumped my internet bully muscles into an absolute frenzy! ...

Why?

Because regardless of what YOU say, Redman kicks ***!

... and Redman has somehow been even more fortunate? ...

Redman is the great unknown ... he of exactly one NFL start! ... Mendenhall gets to watch for a while! ...
    he really is so painfully average though, he lacks any explosion, its not even about his long distance speed...dan kreider was faster from backfield to handoff. He might run hard, but weve had hard runners come and go. Redman is no better than Carey Davis or Gary Russell was. And parker did fine on the goal line, and so does mendenhall...goal line running is mostly attributed to the OL, ask brian westbrook. He was a phenom around the goal line, not because he was a bruiser but because he had brusiers blocking for him (just like, uhhh willie parker did). If mendenhall was running behind smith, faneca, hartings, simmons, and starks hed put up way better numbers than willie ever did.

Redman is a nobody and in a few years we'll remember him as well as we remember gary russell, its just the nature of the business. I hope that somehow eithe dwyer takes snaps away from redman or redman manages to keep us out of the bottom 10 rushing teams the first 6 weeks. i imagine were going to see his AMAZING YPC AVERAGE!!!! plummet when hes asked to do more than spell mendenhall

Agreed K. What Redman brings to the table doesnt exactly scream "Starting RB". People see him bully DB's with a full head of steam and wanna label him Larry Csonka... im sorry he is not that guy! His upside, while minmal, is servicable. He is a decent blocker and has pretty good hands, so he isnt a liability on 3rd downs. When he is given space he does run with authority, and thats all well and good. But he lacks explosion needed to create anything when there is penetration at the line of scrimmage. Look at 3rd/shorts or goal line situations where the D gets penetration and he usually gets tackled for a loss. A guy like JB had AMAZINGLY quick feet to side step then explosiveness to get through the line... Redman has neither.

My big concern with Ike Redman is that he tries to be someone he is not when he gets the call as a starting RB. Sometimes when a second string guy gets a shot at starting (that he achieved via injury, not out playing the starter) he tries to do too much. I hope Redman sticks to what he does best: Get north and south and run hard! I have a feeling when the hole isnt there we may see him attempt to "bounce" out side (something Mendenhall does VERY well) or cut-back (again, something Mendenhall does well whether people admit it or not) when he doesnt have the ability to do that well at the NFL level!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    you think redman has ANY place on that list??????????????????????????? he is not a great RB by any means, he will have plenty of chances to prove that to us this year. We drafted mendenhall to upgrade willie parkers position, and we certainly accomplished that.

i think its laughable he gets 3400 yards and 29 TDs in 3 seasons starting and you just expect more. he has 5 more TDs in 3 years than willie parker had in 6, and willie parker broke the steelers TD record in a single season. Mendenhall is not adrian peterson, and he has not played in an offense like matt forte or MJD where they are accountable for like 60% of the yardage, and hes run behind misfits all of his career, musical chairs at offensive line with pathetically terrible run blockers.

redman might be more relentless but hes far less talented, slower, and everyone knows that. not like we have teams lining up to take redman off our hands. I dont know what you expect a "breakout" to be for a RB, but hes broken out more than mcfadden and stewart did, i suppose we could have given him a ton of carries even when losing to get him to a milestone like the titans did with chris johnson, but the steelers were too busy not being a losing team. I "expect" 1000+ yards from a starting RB, mendenhall has done that for us.

rather than disregard what a **** offensive line and a ****** offensive coordinator guys like mendenhall and wallace have had and still produced, maybe consider that the ****** blocking and ****** play calling had an affect on their production and as that gets better so will they. Both guys i would love to see featured in todd haleys offense with an improved oline, theyve shown enough with bruce arians abortion of a game plan and misfit blocking for them (and roethlisberger in wallaces case) to be excited what improvements can bring.
    Completely agree, 100%, with every word here...

My Mood
    Fine
    LMAO ... Redman has 1 start ... 19 touches ... 142 combined yards ...

Larry Csonka? ... that's exactly the first Csonka comparison I've heard to date ...

Where do you guys get this stuff from?
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Is this a 5th best RB or WR thread?????

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Is this a 5th best RB or WR thread?????

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Thread officially hijacked. All kidding aside, Redman is not a bad back to have on the roster. He will have his chance and time will if he fits the bill. I think we are going to se RB by commite this year regardless.

My Mood
    Pimp
    Not a bad player to have on the roster. Not a starting RB IMO...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not a bad player to have on the roster. Not a starting RB IMO...
    He has had one start 19 touches for about 142 yards or so. Our choices are Redman, Dwyer, Batch, Clay, and Rainey. The latter 4 have about 20 total carries in the NFL.

I will say I wasn't sold on Redman at first, but he has grown on me. Until Mendy gets back and barring a roster move he is our best choice. Now, the preseason may change the pecking order, but right now Redman is the starter. I got a funny feeling he will be on opening day as well. Seriously with this rag-tag oft injured O-line we have had the past season or so, I don't know how you grade any of our backs.

Thread Information