Thread: Colon: "Going inside is my whole game"

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cool Colon: "Going inside is my whole game"

Ken Laird of the Pittsburgh Trib talked with Willie Colon about his new position. Here's part of the interview..

Have you embraced being a left guard, running that signature Steelers pulling-guard run?

“We run 36-Power a lot. Whatever my job is, I don’t look forward to any single play. If 36-Power is the call, I’m just going hit whatever is looking the opposite of me. Going inside is my whole game. I can just kind of bounce around and be the hunter. I like it so far.”

Do you know your new position enough to be able to help the new left tackles?
    “I think a little bit, we’re kind of helping each other. But at the same time, I know how to prepare as a professional. I know what it takes to be ready on gameday, and whoever is next to me I know they’ll be ready, too.”

How much technique work do you have to do at camp?

“It’s all technique, you can’t be an offensive lineman without good mechanics and technique. That’s our whole day, that’s the only thing we do out here is work on technique. Other guys get to run around and look pretty. We’re back in the corner, working on footsteps and hitting pads. That’s our job, man, I wouldn’t want it any other way. You learn to love it at a very young age. And if you don’t love it, you won’t make it.”

He's a shoe in for that starting job at this point but for God sakes just stay healthy man!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm excited to see Colon at OG since I always thought he was an OG at the NFL level........Like many predraft reports stated he was prior to the 2006 NFL draft.....

My Mood
    Mellow
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I'm excited to see Colon at OG since I always thought he was an OG at the NFL level........Like many predraft reports stated he was prior to the 2006 NFL draft.....

100% agree.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Draft Pick
    Colon's "going inside" ?. Sounds like a "Colon-oscopy" to me.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by KemoTherapy View Post
    Colon's "going inside" ?. Sounds like a "Colon-oscopy" to me.

I'm not concerned with Colon's ability to play at OG, I think he's a great fit there. I'm just worried about him making out of the first month of the season without getting hurt. He signed that huge deal last year and missed the whole season again. As long as he's out there I love his potential. He does play mean which I love to see in lineman. None of this nice guy stuff, "here let me help you up off the ground" ...No way, when their down you trash talk and just walk away knowing you kicked his ***.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post

I'm not concerned with Colon's ability to play at OG, I think he's a great fit there. I'm just worried about him making out of the first month of the season without getting hurt. He signed that huge deal last year and missed the whole season again. As long as he's out there I love his potential. He does play mean which I love to see in lineman. None of this nice guy stuff, "here let me help you up off the ground" ...No way, when their down you trash talk and just walk away knowing you kicked his ***.
    You're right he has to stay healthy but if he does I think Colon will be a serious upgrade to Kemo.......

My Mood
    Addicted
    I like the attitude!

Let's go Willie!

My Mood
    Manic
    This could be a bigger deal than drafting DeCastro all that pent up adrenaline from 2 years on IR this O-line could be one for the ages the offensive steel curtain

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Please..let it be so.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information