Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concussion lawsuit calls out James Harrison... Here we go again.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Concussion lawsuit calls out James Harrison... Here we go again.

For the love of God can people not ever give this topic a rest? Now the most recent concussion lawsuit against the NFL asks why Harrison is allowed to keep playing. Nothing like continuing to beat a dead horse... But that's life in today's NFL.

A concussion-related lawsuit filed against the NFL by 73 former players, including former Raiders star Ken “The Snake” Stabler, questions why Steelers linebacker James Harrison is allowed to keep playing despite repeat offenses that endanger fellow players.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Philadelphia, is one in a series of such legal actions nationally in which more than 2,700 former players are seeking relief from what they contend is the league’s slowness in dealing with the dangers of concussions and brain trauma.

Mentioned prominently are a number of in-game incidents from 2009 on, after a Boston University study revealed that multiple former NFL players died prematurely after developing boxer-like brain damage.

The players argue in the suit that “recidivist violators” such as Harrison, a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year and one of the league’s most punishing hitters, shouldn’t be allowed to keep playing. In legal terms, a recidivist is a repeat offender. The court filing mentions five illegal hits by Harrison on quarterbacks over three seasons.

Hits by Harrison resulted in multiple players sustaining concussions, including Browns quarterback Colt McCoy last season and Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi in 2010. Harrison drew a one-game suspension for the helmet-to-helmet McCoy hit and a $75,000 fine and no suspension for the Massaquoi hit.

Asked about the unusual request by former players to effectively ban a current player, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told the Tribune-Review: “I’ll leave that (the lawsuit) up to the lawyers. That’s for the lawyers. We’re here for football.”

Harrison reported to training camp Wednesday but did not talk to reporters.

“Those guys (former players) aren’t around and they don’t know the type of player that he is,” said quarterback Charlie Batch, the vice president of the NFL Players Association. “We know he’s not that way. The fight is not against somebody like a current player; the fight ultimately comes down to the NFL. You’re trying to make the game safer, and they’re pushing for 18 games. If concussions are a point of emphasis, these questions don’t need to be answered by the players. This needs to be answered by Roger (Goodell, the NFL commissioner) and the people in charge of the NFL. … The fight is not players against players.”

The lawsuit, first reported by ProFootballTalk.com, requests — among other things — a court-ordered monitoring of injuries resulting from hits to the head and punitive damages.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...ight-game-hits

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Oh my God can't they just leave Harrison alone......James Harrison is the concussion boogeyman....lol What a joke.......

My Mood
    Mellow
    it's funny that a former Raider is complaining about a player today who may injure someone. ask his former teammates what they used to do. ask lynn swann what they used to do to him. they made what harrison does look like he tackles people with a box of kittens.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Addicted
    Funny these former Raiders don't mention "Jack Tatum". Might want to ask Lynn Swann about him.

As long as its the Raiders, its laughable.

C-town

Non issue IMO!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Don't forget about George Atkinson., another former Raider choir boy.

Lambert was ahead of his time with his 'skirts' comment.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

My Mood
    Fine
    I happen to contend ...

NFL football is a great evil ...

It takes grown men away from church on Sunday ...

It makes grown men spend countless dollars on game tickets, beer, football merchandise, etc. ... money that should be put towards more useful matters, like "family", college, charity, healthcare, etc. ...

It makes married men to oogle over sex-dripped cheerleaders shaking their asses on the sidelines ...

Yet we embrace this culture of corruption as a right of passage for our sons ...

LMAO! ...

... and now there are lawsuits from within it's own ranks to change it? ...

James Harrison has made some viscious hits with his helmet over recent years; hits that have concussed several players ...

But his hits have been well within the context of the league's rules ... never egregious nor malicious in the intent ... just fundamental football ...

Harrison won't last a 16 game season in 2012 ... He'll be suspended once again ... rest assured ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

doesnt matter this is a reach, harrison is just the poster child

It says it was filed in Philadelphia. I always thought these were being filed in California because of their laws.

I like how Charlie gets in the 18 game plug He should read his coaches comment and use that in the future.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

I'm pretty sure football is a sport based on hitting right? Point is if you don't want concussed stay the F off the turf!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information