Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Penn St fined $60M, wins vacated from '98-11

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    I can see both sides of the argument. However, taking scholarships away from deserving students isn't benefiting anyone. Can anyone honestly say that a 3rd string o lineman that only got a scholarship to PSU because his dad or uncle or some other family member played their can get a scholarship elsewhere? Any one have any idea how hard it is to get money to go to school these days? It is damn hard. Probably even harder for a kid with a 2.0 GPA and less than 1000 on SAT's like a lot of high school athletes. Hell I have a 4.0 GPA and a member of Phi Thata Kapa and I am begging and borrowing to get enough funding to finish my BA. No thanks to President Obama taking away the funding. I agree with Jpele go after the admin at PSU demand that they step down. Their the ones that covered it all up not the student athletes.
    DJ Crimefighter @ Insaneradio.us

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Mca View Post
    I can see both sides of the argument. However, taking scholarships away from deserving students isn't benefiting anyone. Can anyone honestly say that a 3rd string o lineman that only got a scholarship to PSU because his dad or uncle or some other family member played their can get a scholarship elsewhere? Any one have any idea how hard it is to get money to go to school these days? It is damn hard. Probably even harder for a kid with a 2.0 GPA and less than 1000 on SAT's like a lot of high school athletes. Hell I have a 4.0 GPA and a member of Phi Thata Kapa and I am begging and borrowing to get enough funding to finish my BA. No thanks to President Obama taking away the funding. I agree with Jpele go after the admin at PSU demand that they step down. Their the ones that covered it all up not the student athletes.
    Students with 2.0 GPAs and less than a 1000 on their SATs shouldn't be admitted to schools that are ordinarily hard to get into because of athletic talent. I hate that system. I hate that I had to work my *** off to get into UMD and I'm in classes with some of the dumbest kids that I've ever met because they happen to be good at a sport. I also hate that all the athletes are given mopeds by the school because it would be a catastrophe if they wasted their legs walking around campus like the rest of us low lives. //off topic rant off.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Ok but still their is some schools where even a 3.0 and a high SAT won't get you in the door. I know to even be accepted into the IU school of law I need at least a 3.75. Regardless in the end their will be some kid left out because PSU lost those scholarships. Instead of the NCAA stepping in and demanding the Board or Trustee's to totally clean house at PSU. If this conspiracy is so huge that it involved all these different people who is to say who else knew what was going on and turned a blind eye. I haven't seen anything yet about the janitorial staff at PSU. Everyone knows custodians know whats going on. How about all these officials that had assistants and secretaries. How come we haven't seen anything about them being fired or asked to resign from their jobs?

The current team is going to be playing every Saturday in the fall. They can't play in bowl games and have their scholarships cut back. How does that punish the current team? The hand full of possible future NFL players it definitely effects. They can transfer to any school they want to. I don't believe anyone has left yet, although they have been heavily recruited already. So while it may be an inconvenience the NCAA basically made them free agents, so they can transfer if the want and certainly will have multiple offers to choose from. The others even though they may not be as heavily recruited still have the same options. From what I heard many of them want to stay and be part of the new era. I think that is great and I admire them for their dedication to the school. I believe it will make them all better players and people.

The NCAA did investigate it, they hired someone who was in charge of the FBI. Who is more qualified than that to conduct an investigation? Certainly not the board of the NCAA. They did what ever company does, hires an expert to do what they aren't capable of doing. I believe the punishment they handed out was not only justified but was done with the current players in mind. From what I heard of Bill O'Brien's interview I was impressed. I wish him and his team the best of luck in the future. It won't be an easy road, but he sounds like he is up to the challenge.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Draft Pick
    I thought Freeh was paid for and contracted by Penn State?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by greennick View Post
    I thought Freeh was paid for and contracted by Penn State?
    You're right they did, I miss stated it. They used his report as the major evidence. They were actually considering a much harsher punishment of a 4 year ban. You can bet that there will still be 100,000+ at every home game come September.

Do they actually give 3rd string lineman scholarships?
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    I think the NCAA rushed a decision in their dealing out punishment. Just to insure it was all handed out before the season began and to give the players that wanted to transfer the chance to make a decision. I have a feeling that some might want to argue that the punishment to PSU is for the healing of the victims. I think the victims will get more closure from Jerry being sentenced than the punishment to the school.
    A 3rd string lineman at PSU could be a starter at a different program. Coming out of high school I was offered a full ride to a D-2 school because I was the back up long snapper. During my interviews with the coach's thats all they talked about was how that is an extremely important position.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    You're right they did, I miss stated it. They used his report as the major evidence. They were actually considering a much harsher punishment of a 4 year ban. You can bet that there will still be 100,000+ at every home game come September.

Do they actually give 3rd string lineman scholarships?
    I think it is more the fact you can't take punts on players as many don't work out. A lot of scholarship players barely get game time.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information