Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Max Starks to 1 year deal

Bookmark and Share
    Banned

Steelers sign Max Starks to 1 year deal

The Steelers moved to strengthen an offensive line heavy on youth and pedigree by re-signing veteran tackle Max Starks to another one-year contract today.

The signing of their starting left tackle since 2008 gives the Steelers the luxury of keeping second-year pro Marcus Gilbert at right tackle, where he started as a rookie. Starks and rookie Mike Adams, their second-round draft choice, will contend for the starting job at left tackle in training camp.

Before they drafted Adams, the Steelers planned to move Gilbert to left tackle. Gilbert practiced on both sides during the spring.

Starks, an unrestricted free agent this year, underwent ACL surgery in January but proclaimed on Twitter this afternoon that "It's a great day, doc gave me a great report! On my way to being game ready."

Starks' experience with the Steelers since they drafted him on the third round from Florida in 2004 has been a mix of success and oddity. He became their starting right tackle in 2005, when they won a Super Bowl, and stayed there until Willie Colon beat him out in 2007.

Nevertheless, the Steelers made him their transition player in 2008 and paid him a one-year deal of nearly $7 million. He opened that season again as a backup but started 11 games at left tackle for an injured Marvel Smith.

In 2009, the Steelers named him their franchise player and paid him nearly $8.5 million for one season and he started every game at left tackle. Before training camp in 2010, they signed him to a four-year, $26.3 million contract. However, his season ended after seven games because of a neck injury and before the 2011 camp began, they released him for salary cap purposes.

They opened last season with Jonathan Scott as their left tackle but after four games, they signed Starks to a one-year contract and he started the rest of the way at left tackle, injuring his knee in the second quarter of their playoff loss to Denver. He became an unrestricted free agent in March and general manager Kevin Colbert said then that they would wait until the summer to determine whether to re-sign him.

No financial terms of Starks' one-year deal were available.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...starks-645041/
    Last edited by Big T; 07-17-2012 at 04:00 PM.

his rehab must be going well.

this means the end for jonathan scott :-D

also, idc if adams is the starter or not i dont want starks at LT, its either gilbert or adams....starks needs to be a backup or the starting RT
    Last edited by K Train; 07-17-2012 at 03:31 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Just posted a quick article to the homepage. This is really good news and could provide our Oline the opportunity to be even better.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I was waiting for this to happen. Just think it's good insurance to gives Adams more time to be ready.

Agree with Ktrain, this is likely the end of J. Scott either now or by final cut down day.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    And assuming they arent gonna pay Max $2.2 mil. cutting Scott still saves cap room.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    And assuming they arent gonna pay Max $2.2 mil. cutting Scott still saves cap room.
    Yeah, Starks got vet minimum which means it counts less against the cap, only .7 million or close to it. Its not that I hate J. Scott, its that I hate him on the field.

My Mood
    Fine
    This is really good news ... we are going to have some serious team chemistry and offensive team leadership coming out of our locker room ... Ben, Pouncey and Starks are all LEADERS! ... DeCastro will be a stand up guy, as will Adams ... and this benefits ADAMS more than anybody! ....

I haven't anticipated a Steelers season more than this one EVER! ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    his rehab must be going well.

also, idc if adams is the starter or not i dont want starks at LT, its either gilbert or adams....starks needs to be a backup or the starting RT
    This is a good move Starks backing up Adams and it keeps some veteran leadership around.I agree with K-Train this is the end of J.Scott in Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
    This is really good news ... we are going to have some serious team chemistry and offensive team leadership coming out of our locker room ... Ben, Pouncey and Starks are all LEADERS! ... DeCastro will be a stand up guy, as will Adams ... and this benefits ADAMS more than anybody! ....

I haven't anticipated a Steelers season more than this one EVER! ...
    woohoo!

My Mood
    Pimp
    Nice...knew it was coming!

Thread Information