Thread: Rants & Slants from this week in the NFL

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Rants & Slants from this week in the NFL

Weekly column by Steeldad. You can see the full post on the homepage.
    http://www.steeleraddicts.com/2012/07/steeldads-rants-and-slants-version-3/

Kicking Off

There are so many ways I could go with this story about the Cowboys’ Dez Bryant attacking his mother, but I’ll choose this one; NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has been anything but consistent when handing out fines and suspensions, but he needs to get this one right or risk losing the ounce of respect fans around the league still have for him. If Goodell is going to suspend a player for four games for using Adderall and suspend a Pro Bowl QB for incidents for which he was never charged then I expect serious consequences for Bryant. And this is NOT his first off-field incident.

The Steelers’ Troy Polamalu appeared on the Dan Patrick Show this week and admitted he had hidden some concussion symptoms from team doctors before. If this surprises you, then you don’t know football. Nothing terrorizes players more than fear. Fear of letting teammates down or fear of not doing their job. Sounds barbaric but it’s fact.

Michael Vick may have learned a lot through his horrible actions and remarkable comeback, but one thing Tony Dungy obviously didn’t teach him was keeping his mouth shut. A dynasty Mike? How about just get to a Super Bowl first before you start that nonsense.

Halftime

Steelers fans have to understand that the NFL Network guys are never going to give the black ‘n gold any love. Jamie Dukes became the latest in a long line of ‘haters’ that includes Marshall Faulk, Warren ‘Bankrupt’ Sapp and Kurt Warner when he ripped the Steelers’ lack of running game or home run threat this week. This is what success brings my friends, haters.

The Second Half

I have some advice for the litany of NFL players who were stopped for traffic and/or DUI violations in recent weeks. First, you become an obvious target if you’re driving around an expensive, flashy vehicle late at night. Second, if you had so much as a sniff of cough syrup, don’t get behind the wheel. Third, are you telling me you cannot afford a driver for the evening? Hire one or pay a friend to be the DD for the evening. Some of you are just idiots.

I see where the Chargers released veteran defensive linman Luis Castillo this week. I would not be surprised one bit if he lands in Indianapolis where they are moving to the 3-4 defense. He would be a nice fit there if they have the cap space which I believe they do.

Congratulations to Jets’ Head Coach Rex Ryan on losing over 100 pounds. Doesn’t matter how he did it. Now if his brother Rob could just get rid of that yoga ball he’s been hiding under his shirt…. Seriously though, weight issues are a very serious issue. Hate his loud mouth but good to see him drop some poundage.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

My Mood
    Addicted
    Nice article, thanks for posting! I agree especially with the first paragraph, but did not know there was even an ounce of respect left for Goodell (it must be in the NE area).

C-town

My Mood
    Fine
    Rex Ryan ... could he be the next "John Madden" of the NFL? ... loveable loud-mouth? ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's ounce of respect comes from the owners. Nobody else can stand him lol

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

Thread Information