Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Still Optimistic They'll Sign WR Mike Wallace Before Training Camp

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    Thats the EXACT reason why IMO he hasnt signed! Look around the league: $5.85 mil/year is $1 mil less than Stevie Johnson money with ZERO job security. In comparison Vincent Jackson signed this season for 5 years $55 mil. In Jacksons BEST three seasons he totalled ~3300 yards 25 TDs - Wallaces FIRST 3 years totalled 3200 yards 24 tds! He deserves V-Jac money! He deserves more. If the Steelers arent willing to atleast give him $10-11 mil/year, then I cant blame the guy for holding out! I'd hate to see it happen, i dont think it will happen!
    But he has no bargining power and the F.O. Knows it. He has to sign or retire, doesn't matter who got what.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Retire?............lol Noway Mike Wallace is going to retire.......lol I just want Mike Wallace to sign so all the nonsense can stop.....Some of our fans really need to remove the sand out of their vaginas........

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    wallace is the best WR on the team, and wallace does have more yards than a lot of great receivers did their first 3 years, its not easy to contribute as a WR early on let alone become a #1....the best is yet to come with wallace, its laughable you dont see that just because of a POTENTIAL holdout
    My opinion has nothing to do with him maybe holding out my opinion is that Brown is a better receiver Wallace drops a lot of balls.look I'm not saying he not good but he isn't Larry fitzgerald or Megatron . As far as Rainey goes he can do real damage on offense this year if Haley uses him right.I hope A. Browns success doesn't go to his head like it went to Wallace's head.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    My opinion has nothing to do with him maybe holding out my opinion is that Brown is a better receiver Wallace drops a lot of balls.look I'm not saying he not good but he isn't Larry fitzgerald or Megatron . As far as Rainey goes he can do real damage on offense this year if Haley uses him right.I hope A. Browns success doesn't go to his head like it went to Wallace's head.
    I don't understand why everyone thinks Wallace drops a lot of balls. He had 6 drops last season. Brown had 7.

according to this link:
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...ping-the-ball/
    Wallace only dropped 4 catchable balls. Only 12 receivers had better drop rates and only 9 had 50+ catchable balls thrown their way.

Here are some more stats I like:
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr
    Wallace is 5th on the list and Brown is 20th.

I love Brown but I can't understand the perception that he is better than Wallace. I also can't understand the hatred towards him for trying to get paid and make sure he doesn't get hurt before hand. It's smart business...plain and simple. If he doesn't show for training camp one way or another, then I will start to wonder what he is doing. Compared to other contracts, he deserves 8-9 million a year. Also, he is not under contract so he is not officially a holdout.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ View Post
    I don't understand why everyone thinks Wallace drops a lot of balls. He had 6 drops last season. Brown had 7.

according to this link:
    Wallace only dropped 4 catchable balls. Only 12 receivers had better drop rates and only 9 had 50+ catchable balls thrown their way.

I love Brown but I can't understand the perception that he is better than Wallace. I also can't understand the hatred towards him for trying to get paid and make sure he doesn't get hurt before hand. It's smart business...plain and simple. If he doesn't show for training camp one way or another, then I will start to wonder what he is doing. Compared to other contracts, he deserves 8-9 million a year. Also, he is not under contract so he is not officially a holdout.
    Agreed. Plus, training camp hasnt even started. He's not holding out from anything at the moment lol. People seriously need to chill the hell out.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ View Post

according to this link:

EXACTLY!!! I've made that same argument here time and time again!!!

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Agreed. Plus, training camp hasnt even started. He's not holding out from anything at the moment lol. People seriously need to chill the hell out.
    But its the only thing we have to talk about. They fixed the Oline in the draft, got rid of the senior citizens, what else are we supposed to stress/complain about?

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    But he has no bargining power and the F.O. Knows it. He has to sign or retire, doesn't matter who got what.
    You all need to understand, this isnt a hold out, not yet! He is NOT UNDER CONTRACT! His only obligation is to show up week 10 to aquire the time needed to enter Free Agency next year as an unrestricted FA. So the whole retirement thing is just silly! I would venture to guess if he decided to sit out until week 10, this team would prob just bench him when he returned. I just dont see it happening, I think the FO will offer him a backloaded deal worth more than most of us think and hope he bites. The problem there is in 7-8 months he could get the same money upfront maybe even guaranteed from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    But its the only thing we have to talk about. They fixed the Oline in the draft, got rid of the senior citizens, what else are we supposed to stress/complain about?
    the kicking game!?!?

I have never disregarded Wallace as being a bad WR, nor claimed that he drops a whole lot of balls or anything like that. I will, however, say that the decline of production the second part of the season last year is worrisome. He simply became too much of a threat for the opposing teams, so they had a safety cover him and suddenly he is a no-show. Now you can blame a whole lot of different aspects to this, but neither of them will hold ANY kind of leverage when they are negotiating.

You can cut Wallace all the slack you want, but the facts remain the same: The man has very little leverage when it comes to the negotiations. He is simply not doing anything to help himself right now. He is not getting any reps, so he will be behind with the new playbook. He might not be in as great a shape as the other players since he has not been on the facility -. we see this quite often... Players believe they can stay in football shape on their own, they hold out and pull a hammy or the like. He also knows that Steelers have very little room to work with this year and most likely next year as well. Steelers knows this as well. We also know from previous examples that it is very unlikely that Steelers is going to make a 3rd year WR with 1.5 years worth of really solid production, the highest paid player on the roster. And for all we know, that is the kind of money he has asked for.

Now, I do believe that he should be resigned. He is clearly worth more than 2.5mil. He is just not doing himself a favor by holding out. The only reasonable argument you could make is because he is afraid of injuries. That is a legit concern obviously, however I still believe that there are so many examples of players getting hurt off the field anyway. As I mentioned, the longer he decides to hold out, the bigger are the risk of injuring himself when he actually returns.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Thread Information