Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 322

Thread: Steelers Still Optimistic They'll Sign WR Mike Wallace Before Training Camp

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #311
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,482
    I call him a 1.5 trick pony at times... His bubble screen plays we're ok, he hit on a few crossing routes ok, but his bread and butter was the deep ball.

    AB seemed fearless crossing the middle, to me Mike seemed scared but that's just me!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

  2. #312
    Draft Pick NorCalSteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    302
    My Mood
    Pissedoff
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Not for nothin' but earlier in this thread (and in others) so many posters were telling us that Wallace was not very good, Brown was better, etc. Now, he is gold and is worth at least a 1st round pick? Just sayin'... ;-)

    Also, if Brown is better then shouldn't the Steelers be able to get at least a first rounder for Brown if they desired? Is there ANYONE who believes another team would give us a first rounder for Brown? I doubt it.

    It just seems like some people's assessment of the value for Brown and Wallace goes up and down like a yoyo depending on the argument they want to make on a given day.
    hmmm Brown did something last year that No other receiver in NFL history has ever done before...thats allot of receivers..yes somebody would give us a first round for him.

  3. #313
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    6,263
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I call him a 1.5 trick pony at times... His bubble screen plays we're ok, he hit on a few crossing routes ok, but his bread and butter was the deep ball.

    AB seemed fearless crossing the middle, to me Mike seemed scared but that's just me!
    Because he's great at a certain play makes him a 1-trick pony? Yes, the deep ball is his bread and butter (he's the unquestioned best deep threat in the game, who IMHO can be rivaled by only Randy Moss in recent memory) but the man is so much more than just that. And that doesn't even account for what his reputation alone does for every other player on offense. You take Wallace out of the game, not only does it make things a lot more difficult on the other receivers, but the running game would also struggle due to the defenses ability to put another player in the box, since they wouldn't have to worry about Wallace beating them deep. Brown has SOME deep play ability but no DC is gonna stay up nights wondering how to keep Brown from blowin the top off the D. It just boggles my mind how people on here can seriously say that the man is capable of doing one thing, and one thing only. Not to be an *******, but a lot of people on here really have no idea how important Wallace is to this offense.

  4. #314
    Big T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Penn State University
    Posts
    6,263
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCalSteel View Post
    hmmm Brown did something last year that No other receiver in NFL history has ever done before...thats allot of receivers..yes somebody would give us a first round for him.
    Absolutely not. No one will give a 1st round pick for a complementary receiver who has yet to show that he can be productive as a #1 receiver. Honestly I love Antonio Brown, and I love what he brings to the team, but a lot of you really overvalue him as a receiver up to this point. What I said before is not an opinion, it is a fact: Antonio Brown has not yet proven that he can be productive as a teams #1 receiving threat. And don't take that as a knock on him, it's not. He hasn't had to be the number one. He's a great complementary receiver, who is still unproven as a primary focus. I'm not saying he can't turn into that guy. ****, I pray that he shows he can be. But that's just not the way it is right now.

  5. #315
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,546
    hes not a one trick pony, hes a beast on the slant (not quite like holmes was, who was a monster of a slant runner) we did have a one (ok 3) trick OC. Im sure someones gonna say OMG BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT ONE SLANT WHERE BEN GOT IN WALLACES FACE FOR NOT BEING ON TIME?!?!? but he runs a decent route tree and has only gotten better.

    ill blow a ****ing gasket if they sign and trade him for anything lower than a 2nd, even that is a steal. And hes not a "diva who holds out" hes holding out now sure, but dont act like hes darrelle revis

  6. #316
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,482
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hes not a one trick pony, hes a beast on the slant (not quite like holmes was, who was a monster of a slant runner) we did have a one (ok 3) trick OC. Im sure someones gonna say OMG BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT ONE SLANT WHERE BEN GOT IN WALLACES FACE FOR NOT BEING ON TIME?!?!? but he runs a decent route tree and has only gotten better.

    ill blow a ****ing gasket if they sign and trade him for anything lower than a 2nd, even that is a steal. And hes not a "diva who holds out" hes holding out now sure, but dont act like hes darrelle revis
    I get what you're saying with the right OC (Haley) Wallace could explode all over the field and shed the "1 trick pony" label. My worry is too much damage has been done for him to come in and play right now, what's your thoughts on that subject?? Could they kiss and make up??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

  7. #317
    Starter steelcitysfinestXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Not to be an *******, but a lot of people on here really have no idea how important Wallace is to this offense.
    I couldnt agree more, Thats been my point since April!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big T View Post
    Absolutely not. No one will give a 1st round pick for a complementary receiver who has yet to show that he can be productive as a #1 receiver. Honestly I love Antonio Brown, and I love what he brings to the team, but a lot of you really overvalue him as a receiver up to this point. What I said before is not an opinion, it is a fact: Antonio Brown has not yet proven that he can be productive as a teams #1 receiving threat. And don't take that as a knock on him, it's not. He hasn't had to be the number one. He's a great complementary receiver, who is still unproven as a primary focus. I'm not saying he can't turn into that guy. ****, I pray that he shows he can be. But that's just not the way it is right now.
    Its not a knock on Brown to say he isnt a #1 WR. He's had what, 3 starts in his career!?!? Lets give him time to grow into a role like that
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hes not a one trick pony, hes a beast on the slant (not quite like holmes was, who was a monster of a slant runner) we did have a one (ok 3) trick OC. Im sure someones gonna say OMG BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT ONE SLANT WHERE BEN GOT IN WALLACES FACE FOR NOT BEING ON TIME?!?!? but he runs a decent route tree and has only gotten better.

    ill blow a ****ing gasket if they sign and trade him for anything lower than a 2nd, even that is a steal. And hes not a "diva who holds out" hes holding out now sure, but dont act like hes darrelle revis
    Agreed, its amazing to me how he's still labled a one trick pony after only playing under BA, and OC who MOST people hated!!! You cant hate BA, then bash Wallace for the plays BA drew up for him!
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I get what you're saying with the right OC (Haley) Wallace could explode all over the field and shed the "1 trick pony" label. My worry is too much damage has been done for him to come in and play right now, what's your thoughts on that subject?? Could they kiss and make up??
    I think so, as long as his hold out doesnt go into the season. If he shows up at some point before week 1, then yes I dont see how he doesnt play out this year as a Steeler and prob get a deal done or get franchised then get a deal in 2013 offseason!

  8. #318
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    I know how important Mike Wallace is to the Steelers offense and that is why I have been so mad how the Steelers have dropped the ball when dealing with these contract talks with Mike Wallace......The Steelers knew he wasn't going to be the easiest of signs and if they had no plans in giving him the contract he wants then they should have traded him before the draft....Its not what I want but that would have been better in maybe trading him for a 4th round pick now.....Plus the Steelers resigning Brown was such a knee jerk reaction since they don't want to go through this same route next year......I really like Antonio Brown but I think its really funny that some think Wallace wasn't a number 1 WR but Brown is....lol

  9. #319
    JensK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Posts
    4,192
    I find it rather amusing how "hurt" people get over that 1-trick pony. It is really only a bad term of you decide its a bad thing. I mean, for the longest time we could have called Woodley a 1-trick pony as well. He Bullrushed into whoever got in his way, got to the ball and made a play. Sure, it was the same thing every time but it worked. Same thing with Wallace. Sure, he runs a decent slant and yes he can be used for screens, but he can run fast and that is what he survives on. Cause as someone said, he is a decent route-runner, but decent route-runners don't get top-money if that is the only thing they have to show-case. You most certainly do not get a lot of money for being a good screen guy. Without his insane speed, Wallace would be a very average NFL WR. He is, however, neither of those. So why does it matter that he may be a 1-trick pony? It quite clearly works. And as Ktrain mentioned, he is improving on the other aspects of the game, although I personally doubt that he'll ever become a very polished route-runner. Again, hardly matters. You don't need to be if you can find another way to get open.

    Brown is a great example of this as well. He CAN run really great routes, but he often gets lost which we often see Ben moan about. It does, however, not really matter since he somehow finds a way to get open anyway.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

  10. #320
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hes not a one trick pony, hes a beast on the slant (not quite like holmes was, who was a monster of a slant runner) we did have a one (ok 3) trick OC. Im sure someones gonna say OMG BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT ONE SLANT WHERE BEN GOT IN WALLACES FACE FOR NOT BEING ON TIME?!?!? but he runs a decent route tree and has only gotten better.

    ill blow a ****ing gasket if they sign and trade him for anything lower than a 2nd, even that is a steal. And hes not a "diva who holds out" hes holding out now sure, but dont act like hes darrelle revis
    Agree with everything you said Ktrain........Mike Wallace keeps getting better and better....I'm sure the Pats would gladly take this one trick pony WR off the Steelers hands....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Steelers Training Camp Schedule - Who's going?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Tailgate Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 08:29 AM
  2. Will we see Mike Adams before Training Camp?
    By bigplaysteel in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 08:20 PM
  4. Steelers Training Camp Set to Begin
    By Sir Blitzelot in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 12:45 AM
  5. Steelers 2008 Training Camp Information
    By Captcoolhand in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •