Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 322

Thread: Steelers Still Optimistic They'll Sign WR Mike Wallace Before Training Camp

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #121
    Chuck's Place ChucktownSteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,920
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    It's hearsay for you because it deflates your argument. We have the rights to Wallace so the 49ers had no reason to lie. Second, the Steelers front office is supremely confident in their player assessment. Just because a guy comes in the 7th round doesn't mean that they don't think he has the talent to make the team. If that were the case, then most of our WR's wouldn't have made this team because they are not 1st round picks.

    We can all name dozens of late round picks that haven't made it. But very few teams can name late round WR picks that have made it as much as the Steelers.

    Wallace is not worth 12 mil. He is not Larry Fitzgerald. He is not even in Fitzgerald zip code! He is worth 5-7 mil and I'm sure he'll get that. I just hope he's happy with whatever the management deems fair. Or there will be a new chapter added to this saga. And it's a chapter that Wallace won't win.
    Remind what round Sweed was and what round Greg Lloyd was. Again you are spot on, uncanny!

  2. #122
    Starter steelcitysfinestXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    We have to have something to talk about until camp.

    It's all good.
    Camp is only two days away.. And it's not like this is a great conversation, lol!

  3. #123
    JensK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Posts
    4,213
    I do not understand these threads anymore. It actually started about being a pretty decent debate and now its about who can yell higher or be more sarcastic. I mean, its perfectly fine that you think Wallace is the best WR on this team; he probably is. What gets me though is the sarcasm which is being used instead of using actual argumentation. I mean, according to some people here these threads are nothing but one big pile of something unspeakable. However, after having read all of the posts again, I'd say that only 3-4 of them really makes no sense. Most of the other posts merely point out what generally is true: Wallace holding out is most likely not helping him achieve anything what-so-ever. That does not AT ALL mean that those of us who believe this also believe that he should be traded or anything else of the sort.

    My point is, this thread needs to get back into an actual debate instead of this throwing around with a generalized sarcasm because a couple of posts in a 13 page long thread.


    A point which I find somewhat interesting is the fact that seemingly, no other teams but the Niners was interested in Wallace, and they jumped away when the price was mentioned. I don't know what this price was, but I know that it was too high to generate any solid interest in him. Apparently, the Steelers fans are the only people who believe him to be worth a big bunch of money. That is obviously disregarding the draft pick, but I'll make a bold claim and say that if teams really were high on Wallace they would have paid that easily.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

  4. #124
    Draft Pick
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    A point which I find somewhat interesting is the fact that seemingly, no other teams but the Niners was interested in Wallace, and they jumped away when the price was mentioned. I don't know what this price was, but I know that it was too high to generate any solid interest in him. Apparently, the Steelers fans are the only people who believe him to be worth a big bunch of money. That is obviously disregarding the draft pick, but I'll make a bold claim and say that if teams really were high on Wallace they would have paid that easily.

    But would they have paid the money AND the first round draft pick?



    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  5. #125
    JensK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Denmark, Aalborg
    Posts
    4,213
    Somehow It wont let me quote, but in response to greennick:

    If we go ahead and judge by some of the players which he has been compared to in this thread I think an interesting question would be: Would you want the Steelers make that trade?

    For the sake or argument I will say that he is going to demand something 12-15 mil per year. That is not far from what Fitzgerald and Johnson got. Now, would you pay a first-round pick and that kind of money for either of those players? I know I would.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

  6. #126
    Starter steelcitysfinestXL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    1,487
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post

    My point is, this thread needs to get back into an actual debate instead of this throwing around with a generalized sarcasm because a couple of posts in a 13 page long thread.


    A point which I find somewhat interesting is the fact that seemingly, no other teams but the Niners was interested in Wallace, and they jumped away when the price was mentioned. I don't know what this price was, but I know that it was too high to generate any solid interest in him. Apparently, the Steelers fans are the only people who believe him to be worth a big bunch of money. That is obviously disregarding the draft pick, but I'll make a bold claim and say that if teams really were high on Wallace they would have paid that easily.
    I disagree. The fact that no team has ever been willing to pay the 1st round draft pick price on a tendered player (to my recollection) is the reason why he didn't leave this year. You can't just "disregard" that because it's the main sticking point on why a deal like that has never happend.

    To the first point you made: I have no problem with an opposing point of view. But some of the things mentioned in this thread have been ridiculous. Half the time I don't even know if the poster is being serious or not, so yes I'll greet it with sarcasm.

    While people on here are so fast to throw out thoughts on past negotiations, It speaks volumes to me that the organization has been so public in saying they want Wallace for the foreseeable future. Normally this team has not been shy in saying things like: "We'll deal with the players who are here and the ones who aren't we won't talk about!" Tomlin has said it and Cowher has as well. Hearing Mike Tomlin even talk about Wallace, let alone saying: "Hopefully this is short term misery" lends to the belief that this team, like some on this board, realize how important Mike is to this team.

  7. #127
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,616
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Remind what round Sweed was and what round Greg Lloyd was. Again you are spot on, uncanny!
    love it when you have to find exceptions. That helps prove my point. Greg Lloyd....that was almost another era. But keep reaching.LOL
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  8. #128
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well I get sarcastic when I read totally dumbass comments like Rainey and Clemons making us forget all about Mike Wallace......Which have been going around in a couple threads.....I like both Rainey and Clemons as well but these guys have to make the team first period.....

    I also think its way off comparing Wallace to somebody like Andre Rison.......Wallace hasn't had off-field drama like Bad Moon did in his career and wasn't a first rounder like Rison......

    Again I'm going to ask what is really Mike Wallace holding out at the moment?....Training camp hasn't even started......I think people have over blown this whole Mike Wallace saga........

  9. #129
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Michigan City, IN
    Posts
    12,977
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    It's hearsay for you because it deflates your argument. We have the rights to Wallace so the 49ers had no reason to lie. Second, the Steelers front office is supremely confident in their player assessment. Just because a guy comes in the 7th round doesn't mean that they don't think he has the talent to make the team. If that were the case, then most of our WR's wouldn't have made this team because they are not 1st round picks.

    We can all name dozens of late round picks that haven't made it. But very few teams can name late round WR picks that have made it as much as the Steelers.

    Wallace is not worth 12 mil. He is not Larry Fitzgerald. He is not even in Fitzgerald zip code! He is worth 5-7 mil and I'm sure he'll get that. I just hope he's happy with whatever the management deems fair. Or there will be a new chapter added to this saga. And it's a chapter that Wallace won't win.
    Yea the 49ers had no reason to lie (eyes rolling)......Maybe throw a scare tactic and hoping the Steelers would have lowered their tender on Wallace.....All I'm saying until I hear it from Mike Wallace himself then I will have doubts on what kind of demands he is making....You or I are not behind the scenes during these negotiations........

  10. #130
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,623
    Wallace will sign soon. I hope sooner rather than later for his and this teams sake!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Steelers Training Camp Schedule - Who's going?
    By BlitzburghRockCity in forum Steelers Tailgate Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-2012, 08:29 AM
  2. Will we see Mike Adams before Training Camp?
    By bigplaysteel in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 04:54 PM
  3. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 08:20 PM
  4. Steelers Training Camp Set to Begin
    By Sir Blitzelot in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 12:45 AM
  5. Steelers 2008 Training Camp Information
    By Captcoolhand in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •