Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall returns to Twitter land with a status update of his knee

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cool Mendenhall returns to Twitter land with a status update of his knee

Much of the talk around the Pittsburgh Steelers this offseason has been about the status of running back Rashard Mendenhall, who suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the team's regular-season finale against the Cleveland Browns. Mendenhall took to Twitter on Friday morning to share with his followers a very upbeat prognosis.s

@R_Mendenhall: My knee has healed wonderfully, thanks for all the well wishes!

At the end of Steelers minicamp in June, general manager Kevin Colbert made a fairly educated guess that Mendenhall would open training camp on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. This would be a reasonable assessment of the situation, considering that the normal recovery time from a torn ACL is generally nine to 12 months.To be eligible to start the regular season on the PUP list, Mendenhall would have to be on the PUP list to open camp. Since Mendenhall might not be at 100 percent until November or so, there's little chance that Colbert will jeopardize roster flexibility just to rush Mendenhall back to the field.Forcing him to roam the sidelines for the first six weeks of the season might be the wisest move for both the team and Mendenhall, who is scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

NFL.com

I still say they need to stick him on the PUP; 9 months to recover is cutting it close especially for a runner that likes to cut and dance like he does.

Hey, atleast he isn't tweeting about the celebrating the death of terrorists right? LOL

My Mood
    Ornery
    I may be in the minority here, but I'm pulling for Mendy to make a full recovery and look forward to seeing what he can do behind our new offensive line.
    The Tradition Continues!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGoldHaze View Post
    I may be in the minority here, but I'm pulling for Mendy to make a full recovery and look forward to seeing what he can do behind our new offensive line.
    A lot of people are annoyed at his perceived "running style", but I think everyone here wishes him a full recovery. He is by far our most naturally talented back, and will excel behind the improved line once healthy.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Rookie Free Agent
    I've been especially hard on Mendenhall for his style of running. But... if we can save some money by keeping him with his production (which has been good) then I too would like to see what he can do behind a real offensive line.

Draft Pick

Not at all. Mendy is a big fast back that will only benefit from solidifying the offensive line. I think a lot of the dancing we complain about was due to a lack of any discernable hole for him to attack. It will be awesome to have a running game that's capable of going the distance on any given play again. A true compliment to our passing attack.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Getting him back will help a great deal especially after the midway point of the season when he would likely be close to full strength again. Fresh legs for the 2nd half of the season and the playoffs is a big deal. He may annoy many of us with his dancing around but getting back is important for sure. Perhaps behind a decent line he plays more of that power game that we saw some of last year.

Rookie Free Agent Njsteelersnut's Avatar
    My Mood
    Manic
    Well if he is able play at some point this year, and line is much improved by that time.......we will see if it was the O-line or his running style that caused our mediocre rushing attack.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    The new "O" line will make a positive difference no matter who is running the ball. That's a no-brainer. Bettis was 'washed up' at one point until an improved line started opening up holes again. Having a kick *** passing game will help too.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

Rookie Free Agent Njsteelersnut's Avatar
    My Mood
    Manic
    I just think Mendy runs "soft" way too often, runs way too upright even on the goaline......he needs to lower his shoulder and burst into the hole rather then dancing and constantly trying to spin off a tackle....Just saying
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Njsteelersnut View Post
    I just think Mendy runs "soft" way too often, runs way too upright even on the goaline......he needs to lower his shoulder and burst into the hole rather then dancing and constantly trying to spin off a tackle....Just saying
    He needs to look at some old Thomlinson tapes when he was with the Chargers to see how to run near the goal line. But I wish him a speedy, healthful recovery.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information