Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown still wants to return punts, but should he?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Antonio Brown still wants to return punts, but should he?

Brown said that he wants to keep on returning punts this season, even though the Steelers have said that Emmanuel Sanders will likely be the main guy for that job now. Chris Rainey could also figure into the return game too if he makes the team.

Steelers.com: Do you still want to do punt returns? Brown: I definitely want to do punt returns. I want to get another record to match my receiving and return numbers.

If you still return punts this year, do you worry at all about injuries or anything with an increased role in the offense? Brown: Not at all. Last year I played three positions and gave them all my best. You can’t worry about injuries. You have to go out, do your assignment and play for your team.

Do you want him back there returning kicks still even though he'll be a full time starter now? Randle El did it for years, Cowher played starters on special teams fairly regularly, especially when they needed a big play. I personally don't mind him doing that double duty, he gives a big spark to the return game but if he gets hurt doing it the offense could suffer.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

punts, sure

kickoffs, no

i dont mind him starting and returning punts, its way less hard on the returners body than kickoffs...but he may not even be the best man for the job anymore with rainey on the team

I thought Sanders sucked last year doing it, he ran to upright...

I love what Antonio can do in the return game, but as a gators fan, I'm excited about the things Rainey can do as a return man.

id like sanders to focus more on offense, hes not a good returner and hes fragile.....he needs to hone being a WR because he looks so good out there when he isnt hurt, he may need to step up big time if wallace really holds out.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    he may not even be the best man for the job anymore with rainey on the team
    couldn't agree more! I'm going to assume Rainey makes this roster and he's gonna be the type of guy where they are going to find every way possible to get the ball in his hands!!! I could see AB being a situational punt returner but full-time, no! Not unless Rainey and or Sanders fails consistently

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    It depends on how well the others are up to the task. If Sanders or another can give similar production, then he should not.

If they are not up to providing similar numbers, then he should or the old axiom about how important special teams are is BS. Remember a certain Heniz Field playoff game against NE under Cowher (2002?) that we would have won if we did not get a FG blocked and returned for a TD and another punt return TD given up? Special teams are critical.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Putting Sanders out there to return kicks worries because his inability to stay healthy. Perhaps his feet are 100%, that's the ideal situation however he had that knee issue as well. You can't predict injuries but based on his lack of time in his first 2 years I'd like to see him focus solely on offense and let Rainey take over the backup duties or the full time return man job if it came down to him and Sanders.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I think we turn the kickoffs/punt returns duties over to Rainy. Brown will have plenty to do already and this will be a good way to get the ball into Rainy's hands.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted
    No way in hell does Brown or Sanders see the special teams.

Rainey all the way.

Thread Information