Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldawgswag View Post
    Oh really Spence very undersized.

Wait let me go get something quick.

Sean Spence 231 lbs
    Lawrence Timmons 235 lbs
    Patrick Willis 240 lbs
    Jack Lambert 220 lbs

Hmmm, yes very undersized, wonder if he can pick up that weight.
    willis is an absolute freak of nature has way more strength than spence, both on field and in the weight room. also willis was 230 in high school....242 at the combine, and if you look at him you dont see and undersized LB, id be surprised if he wasnt 250+ regardless of his list weight, hes bigger than timmons and timmons bulked up to 250

Timmons is upwards of 250 now, and even when he was around 235 he was a TERRIBLE fit for us and was absolutely steam rolled in the run game, just physically abused and manhandled as a rookie. Even then he did over double the reps spence did at that size and while bench press isnt everything it does go a long way to taking on guards.

and jack lambert would be demolished in todays league, he played in a time where there were zero 300 pound players

great try, but spence is tremendouly undersized for a 34 MLB, not saying he cant grow into the position but you act like hes going to be a sudden impact which he just isnt...he may very well lead the team in special teams tackles but probably not too much on defnese. I like him a lot as a LB of the future, this year is just so unlikely. He will be able to shoot a gap like no other, its just rare for a rookie to play on that defense and hes really likely not physically ready, his functional strength leaves much to be desired
    Last edited by K Train; 07-13-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    great try, but spence is tremendouly undersized for a 34 MLB
    Why I wasn't high on this pick and why I wasn't high on the Timmons pick (as a MLB). Timmons had bust written all over him after his first year after they moved him inside.

But, I do think he can be more of a first year asset then most rookies drafted to this defense. IF he is as smart as they are making him out to be, and he has the play book down, that's kind of a big deal for a guy like him. Knowing the playbook allows him to play fast, which speed happens to be his best asset. Plus he has the added benefit of being a middle linebacker in college. Timmons was a 4-3 DE at FSU trying to stand up and move to MLB.

I'm not gonna say I think he'll be a starter (unless there is an injury) this year or next. But I think he'll be a contributor on Defense (nickel packages) maybe as soon as week 1

Isnt Harrison undersized also?

Harrison-6'0 242lbs
    Spence- 5'11 231lbs

We dont want all of our linebackers across the board to be like Woodley 6'2 and 266lbs. Our defense the past couple years has been "slow" especially with Farrior, let alone seeing Woodley and Harrison get picked on in the passing game. So Spence is an upgrade. Not saying he will start by week 1, but there can be a possibility he can be starting by week 12 or so. I wouldnt be suprised if he didnt start this season also. Just dont use his "size" to a disadvantage. Spence will bulk up fast with a pro workout routine.

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    Isnt Harrison undersized also?

Harrison-6'0 242lbs
    Spence- 5'11 231lbs

We dont want all of our linebackers across the board to be like Woodley 6'2 and 266lbs. Our defense the past couple years has been "slow" especially with Farrior, let alone seeing Woodley and Harrison get picked on in the passing game. So Spence is an upgrade. Not saying he will start by week 1, but there can be a possibility he can be starting by week 12 or so. I wouldnt be suprised if he didnt start this season also. Just dont use his "size" to a disadvantage. Spence will bulk up fast with a pro workout routine.
    its not just easy for a smaller guy to bulk up. Its not so much his size im citing as his functional strength, hes just not strong, and struggles greatly to shed blocks, which gets him eaten alive in traffic.

Harrison is "short" but hes insanely strong, like by ridiculous amount to the point where his shortness is used as an advantage. and woodley is bulky but both he and harrison do very well in coverage for pass rushers, thats not spences game. Im not just saying hes too small, im saying hes no where near pro ready strength wise. Hes smart, hes fast, he can turn and cover...im not discrediting that, as a "starter" im high skeptical that he wouldnt be a huge liability. Hes got work to do, but hes got work ethic to do it...imo slower is better for a player like spence, allowing him to grow into the position and carve out his own niche rather than being forced into someone elses

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawgswag View Post
    Oh really Spence very undersized.

Sean Spence 231 lbs
    Lawrence Timmons 235 lbs
    Patrick Willis 240 lbs
    Jack Lambert 220 lbs
    The Lambert comparison in completely irrelevant. Completely different league now.

Pat Willis- 6'1, 245lbs+ with freak athleticism and strength.
    Karlos Dansby- 6'4, 250lbs+
    Demeco Ryans- 6'1, 250lbs
    David Harris- 6'2, 250lbs
    Jon Beason- 6'0, 240lbs+
    DJ Willaims- 6'1, 250lbs
    Junior Seau- 6'3, 250lbs
    Brian Urlacher- 6'4, 260lbs
    Ray Lewis- 6'1 240lbs+
    Even London Fletcher is 5'10 but he's 245lbs.

Most of these I was just curious, but after looking up multiple top MLB, yes Spence seems to be undersized at 5'11, 230lbs. He has great potential, and I believe he'll be the starter in three years, but this year he'll be a STer and that's it.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

You guys have too much time on your hands... lol

My Mood
    Ornery
    This will be one of the more interesting camps......bring it on!
    The Tradition Continues!!!

Rookie Free Agent Njsteelersnut's Avatar
    My Mood
    Manic
    Im definately looking forward to see how some of these draft picks pan put. Can't wait for camp to start......if some of these rookies can step up even as role players we will be in great shape.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    willis is an absolute freak of nature has way more strength than spence, both on field and in the weight room. also willis was 230 in high school....242 at the combine, and if you look at him you dont see and undersized LB, id be surprised if he wasnt 250+ regardless of his list weight, hes bigger than timmons and timmons bulked up to 250

Timmons is upwards of 250 now, and even when he was around 235 he was a TERRIBLE fit for us and was absolutely steam rolled in the run game, just physically abused and manhandled as a rookie. Even then he did over double the reps spence did at that size and while bench press isnt everything it does go a long way to taking on guards.

and jack lambert would be demolished in todays league, he played in a time where there were zero 300 pound players

great try, but spence is tremendouly undersized for a 34 MLB, not saying he cant grow into the position but you act like hes going to be a sudden impact which he just isnt...he may very well lead the team in special teams tackles but probably not too much on defnese. I like him a lot as a LB of the future, this year is just so unlikely. He will be able to shoot a gap like no other, its just rare for a rookie to play on that defense and hes really likely not physically ready, his functional strength leaves much to be desired

not going to read after the first line with the ****** excuse.

Willis is freak bla bla bla.

you obviously, clearly did not watch miami football, Spence was a freak too and tackled far bigger players...

so go get laid, perhaps with gibson,

wait....

i cant find him on any roster....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Jon Beason- 6'0, 240lbs+
    Even London Fletcher is 5'10 but he's 245lbs.
    Beason is one of the best linebackers in the league and so is Fletcher. You don't need to be the requirements to be successful at the position, but you americans wouldn't know that.

I had an american ask me about a photo of Dubai I showed him, he said it wasn't Dubai because there wasn't any sand in the photo.
    Last edited by scudmissile29; 07-15-2012 at 11:40 AM.

For those who haven't seen this guy play do yourself a favor: Watch a "Highlight" video like this: and you'll see where the concern comes from. When left unblocked, the dude does exactly what you want form a middle linebacker: he flies to the ball and makes picture perfect tackles (getting his head across, wrapping his arms then rolling his hips, its tackling:101, perfection) But, as evidenced from the game tape videos, when an OL/FB/TE or sometimes ever WR gets to his chest he's usually blown out of the play. I have watched 5 game tape style videos of all of his defensive plays and not once did i see him take on a OL, stack>shed>tackle... NEVER SAW IT!!! And in coverage in those 5 games he was average at best, seen getting beat by TE's/RB's and Slot WR's in each game!

I like the the guy and think he has natural ability to play MLB, but he is going to need to bulk up because in the NFL, he's rarely going to be unblocked. I'll be interested to see how he does in 1-on-1 situations in camp. I cant imagine Colon or Pouncey getting there hands inside on Spence, that'll be a pancake everytime!
    Last edited by steelcitysfinestXL; 07-15-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Thread Information