Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin and Pittsburgh Culture

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Tomlin and Pittsburgh Culture

Actually a pretty good article about how Tomlin has become a "naturalized Pittsburgher" and why he should receive an extension before the season.
    "If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." -Jack Lambert

My Mood
    Clowns
    I was one of the people that was skeptical of Tomlin when he was first hired. He's not your typical Steelers head coach by the Cowher standards that everyone was used too for so long. He is more like a Chuck Noll though so in that respect I think it took a bit for people to buy into his coaching style because they just weren't used to it; especially the younger fans who weren't around for the Noll era.

He's adapted himself to the city nicely, he'll get his extension in the quiet manner in which the team usually does it.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Nice article, thanks for posting.

Tomlin's not going anywhere.

I'm looking forward to him coaching the Steelers for about another 10 years. Nice article thanks. Reading the comments this one stuck out.
    2001- #1 defense2004 - #1 defense2007 - #1 defense2008 - #1 defense2010 - #1 defense2011 - #1 defense Judging from the defensive ratings, Tomlin is doing better with the personal he inherited than his predicessor did. Cowher had 2 #1 defenses in 15 years. Tomlin had 4 in 5 years.
    Is that accurate?
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Cowher only had the #1 defense in 2001 and 2004. His teams defense was ranked in the top 5 many times during his tenure, but only twice at #1 overall.

Remember too that Cowher had much less to work with with when he took over. The dynasty players of the 70's were all retired by then and the 80's was just a decade to forget with a rag tag group of players. There were only a handful of decent players in that era honestly.

Tomlin was the benefactor of Cowher's hard work in putting together a championship team; much like Barry Switzer was when he took over for Jimmy Johnson. Obviously Tomlin's ability to build his own team is far and above anything that Switzer could hope for but both guys benefited greatly from their predecessors work.

Thank God he isn't Switzer.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I know right, Barry couldn't coach to save his life in the NFL. That team he received as a gift pretty much ran itself.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Is that accurate?
    I'm not sure if it's accurate, but in fairness, much of that defense in terms of system, coaches and players were left over from Cowher. So you can't really attribute the entire success of the Defense to Tomlin.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Cowher only had the #1 defense in 2001 and 2004. His teams defense was ranked in the top 5 many times during his tenure, but only twice at #1 overall.

Remember too that Cowher had much less to work with with when he took over. The dynasty players of the 70's were all retired by then and the 80's was just a decade to forget with a rag tag group of players. There were only a handful of decent players in that era honestly.

Tomlin was the benefactor of Cowher's hard work in putting together a championship team; much like Barry Switzer was when he took over for Jimmy Johnson. Obviously Tomlin's ability to build his own team is far and above anything that Switzer could hope for but both guys benefited greatly from their predecessors work.
    Actually Noll was building a decent team before he retired. He left Cowher on Defense with Rod Woodson, Greg Liyod, Carnell Lake, and a few other serviceable players. Offense he left him Neil O'donnell, Bary Foster, Eric Green , Dermontti Dawson and a pretty decent OL. I kinda felt bad for Noll suffering through the dark 80's years and then retire when he was finally building a good team. As for the 80's sure losing the 70's legend players was big but so was the awful drafts they had.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    We'll see what happens to the "D" ratings when LeBeau retires. Retaining him was one of the smarter things Tomlin did his rookie year.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

Thread Information