Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K Train's random offseason thoughts

Bookmark and Share

K Train's random offseason thoughts

Im so bored with the offseason, but training camp is around the corner so heres some offseason things weve been talking about and can talk about.

First off we can get Wallace out of the way, i am kinda thinking they will not be able to sign him long term before this season, but i do think that if he shows up to play this year under his tender he will be guaranteed a long term deal next season, similar to what happened to woodley. I understand his concern and i dont think its totally fair, but when it comes down to it they need him but cant really afford to lock him up right now. I think its definitely in his best interest to play, he would get a cheaper deal this year even if they do sign him just because of cap issues, if he comes out and plays well he will get a top dollar deal from the steelers because they will be able to afford it and if not he will make much more money next year than he would anywhere this year. I dont think saying things like "they have to be careful with wallace so they dont lose brown" is fair because brown needs wallace and wallace is a better player, but thats because everyone is so down on wallace for unofficially holding out...but i guarantee if this was holmes vs wallace you all would be hating on holmes and saying how wallace needs to be locked up ect.....just the nature of the business i suppose.

I fully expect wallace to dominate in haleys offense, 12+ TDs and 1300+ yards is very doable i believe. This should be his breakout year, all todd haley does is turn WRs into studs, thats his thing, just like arians thing was to throw it deep 10 times a game.

Im really interested in positional battles, i would love to make it to camp this year for a day or 2 i have never been there. this year is really a year of a youth movement on both sides of the ball

adams vs gilbert is going to be awesome, i hope scott isnt even in the conversation. I would imagine that starks is on speed dial should adams struggle, but i think even if he cant lock down the left side where hes penciled now, the right side should be where he would fall to which isnt a bad thing because im not opposed to gilbert on the left either, just on paper it looks like adams is the better LT

lewis vs brown vs allen is another one that ill monitor closely. Im interested to see who gets the start for clark week one, do they give it to mundy again? i like mundy as a backup strong, but not as a starting free. I anticipate Ike and Lewis starting at CB (should lewis struggle allen would slip right in and possibly give lewis a shot at FS) but i think cortez gets the week one start at FS and then he and lewis rotate at LCB until one os them locks it down. I think brown gets the NB spot and could quite possibly lead the team in picks this year, hes silky smooth in coverage and has some insane vertical and ball skills.

rainey vs redman vs batch vs dwyer screams mediocrity but should be fun lol, as much as i loathe redman as a starting back i think he will be serviceable behind this improved oline for a few weeks....as with lewis/allen id like him to split time evenly until one runs away with the right to the majority of the carries, which i think would be dwyer.

taamu vs mcclendon is a quiet battle, but i REALLY like what taamu offers, i think he could lock down NT from day one and run away with it, but the defensive coaches love vets and if mcclendon really is up to 325 (which seems unlikely to me as he was 280ish last year) and he can hold up at that weight it seems taamu might be a rotational player at best as a rookie, although i do not think hes a 2 down NT like many do when they see the "346 pounds" because hes not just a fat slob, hes a mammoth of a man but carries all that weight very well. Its also do or die for al woods, who ive always loved...hes gotta shake the raw label.

hood vs heyward both will play a lot, but with keisel still being our best Dlineman they will have to fight for a starter spot and a spot that spells both keisel and whoever wins the starter spot. We all know that OUTER LIMIT SPORTS IMPROVES YOUR EXPLOSIVENESS!!!!!! with evanders videos being whored around the internet, but heyward in year two should be something special to watch. the man stacks and sheds blockers like hes a boulder covered in butter and he brings down runners with one arm in traffic, hood gets washed out too much and bends around the corner like hes a 250 pound OLB jsut to get blocked out of the play

saunders vs pope is a crucial battle for saunders, saunders absoultely blocks his *** off and really looks like heath miller when he catches the ball, hes got sweet feet and soft hands for a big man, but pope follows haley and saunders is suspended for 4 games, he needs to shine in camp and preseason. Paulson i suppose could make a case as well, hes a decent recieving threat, im really on board with saunders though

quietly i think brown vs sanders could be very interesting too. Sanders is an excellent route runner and has excellent hands, brown is erratic in route running and has a knack for a big awkward catch. I think brown is a BEAST #2, but if sanders can work his way to the outside spot and stay healthy brown would go from beast #2 to the best slot WR in the league, hes got a certain feel for the zones and a quickness that is sporadic but super effective when hes allowed to roam. Ive always like brown more than sanders, but i wouldnt count sanders out just yet

foote vs spence vs sly is a wierd one to play next to timmons, i imagine foot wins it, sly is the primary backup, and spence is a special teamer and possible Nickel/Dime LB

I predict that decastro is a top 5 guard by mid season, and pouncey shakes the hype and overrated label hes been given after last year and locks himself down as a top 3 center again.

A guy that might not make it out of training camp that i think might warrant a look by the steelers is alex carringinton of the bills, who might be on his way out with them moving to a 43 and having mario, kyle williams, and marcel dareus. Carrington was among the top 34 defensive ends his year and could be good insurance at the position with keisel having bad calves and hoods return in question.

a quick mock draft for next season:

1. TJ Mcdonald, FS USCong
    2. Chase Thomas, OLB Stanford
    3. Dennard Robinson, WR/KR Michigan
    4. EJ Manuel, QB FSU
    5. Cierre Wood, RB Notre Dame
    6. Partick Larrimore, MLB UCLA
    7. Dustin Hopkins, K FSU

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Few random thoughts on your post.

As much as I want Ta'amu in the lineup for the next 10 years I don't think he's going to make it as the starter this season. McClendon wins this job based on his veteran experience but sooner or later they won't be able to keep Ta'amu off the field and he's going to be the starter. He's just got too much potential to not do well IMO.

Heyward is in a tough spot; he's not going to start as long as Keisel is around and Bret probably has a good 3-4 years left in him at this rate. Cam will get reps in the rotation but he's going to be stuck unless Keisel gets injured.

Hood needs to step up big time, he's the man now, no excuses just get out there and get it done.

Foote wins that starting job by default of being the veteran and having done it for so long. Sly is in a tough spot right now because he's not going to start out of the gate and while he'll get some playing time in a rotation it won't be like the defensive line is. Foote will be the guy for probably this whole season unless he gets hurt or just flat out plays bad. The latter isn't likely and Sly would have to be amazing in camp and preseason for the coaches to have confidence to put him in regularly.

This is a big year for Sanders, he's going to want a big deal after this season so he needs to stay healthy. I would love to see him take over that Hines Ward role on this team with those sharp routes and tough catches. AB is no secret anymore, teams have a solid year of film on him so he's going to see more doubles go his way if Wallace holds out or starts out slow, which will be interesting to see how he handles it. If Wallace has the year that you think he can then AB will be the benefactor of Wallace drawing the double teams.

Defenses saw how Wallace dropped off in traffic last year so if they double him they know they can contain him as long as he doesn't run away from them.

Great post(s) I'll add my $0.02 on where i differ:

On Wallace: Maybe I'm a dreamer but i truly think the FO believes Wallace is a key piece to winning over the next few seasons. While a long term deal looks bleak, i believe the steelers are holding the Ace with the franchise tag next year. Meaning, if Wallace signs his tender for $2.7 this year and they franchise him at about $9 mil next year thats $6.35 mil a year for the next two years! Thats a team friendly situation for Wallaces services. Knowing that i believe Wallace will sign his tender and reach a long term deal before the season (maybe early in the season) in the neighborhood of 5-6 years/45-55mil. Thats a good deal for both sides IMHO.

On Lewis vs. Brown vs. Allen: Kenan Lewis can play, i dont think anyone can doubt that. But he has a history of self-imploding and i dont think the separation in talent between the 3 is that great if at all. While experience is on Lewis' side The Steelers MUST feel comfortable with Allen and Brown as being capable starters due to the fact they never pursued a FA CB and let Will Gay walk. I think Lewis will be on a short leash and that battle will last all season long unless one of them can prove he is head and shoulders above the others. I like Allen the most out of this group due to the fact i think he is our most versitile (albeit RAW) DB. Curtis Brown is really the x-factor because he is a prototypical NFL CB. If he can stay healthy i think he really makes this training camp exciting!

On the DL: Kiesel/Hampton/McClendon/Hayward/Hood/Ta'Amu is a GREAT problem to have. I dont care whose where on the depth chart, this group is DEEP and having a rotation that can stay fresh for 60 minutes and the length of the season is a good thing for this team. Diesel/McClendon/Hood start the season and im more than fine with that. Hampton can works his way back to 100% and Cam and Ta'Amu will push for PT!

honestly id like to see casey cut/traded/IRd whatever. I dont think hes going to be able to hold up for the year

Good stuff guys!

I agree w Hampton he should of been let go or traded...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

To really kick off 2012 rainey or spence need to play in 16 games

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    honestly id like to see casey cut/traded/IRd whatever. I dont think hes going to be able to hold up for the year
    The rumor was Hampton was guaranteed a roster spot when he took his paycut.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I think it's going to be amazing season and I don't see a weakness at any position depth wise other then Ben staying healthy. This is probably the first year in a long while including the recent Superbowl victories that we have quality depth at every position. Amazing our weakness on DL AND OL seem to be filled. This team is built for the long halt! Amazing difference then last year. Of course we can say we are weak at kicker for now but that is nit picking.

PS. did I say Amazing enough lol ?

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Nice post Ktrain and I enjoyed it man........Dude I want to follow up on the Sanders/Brown battle...If Sanders can stay healthy and turn the corner.....Can you imagine Wallace, Brown, Sanders all as big time threats?......I have liked both Sanders and Brown both from day one but like you said Sander is just silky smooth when running routes......If the OL can into sync quick and avoid a rash of injuries the offense will be unstoppable........

Thread Information