Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flacco among most overrated players in the AFC

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cool Flacco among most overrated players in the AFC

It's ESPN vs ESPN in the most overrated AFC players. Flacco is listed first in that list by KC Joyner but of course Jamison Hensley stands up to defend him as not overrated but rather inconsistent. I say in this case they are one in the same. If you're hyped up to be the best by your own admission and the media talks about you like you're some sort of god, then being inconsistent every single year makes you overrated.

That he isn't the best field general in the league comes as no surprise, but Flacco's 2011 season doesn't even place him in the upper half of the league. His 9.6 vertical yards per attempt mark (VYPA -- which measures success on passes 11-plus yards downfield) ranked tied for 25th, and his 10.7 stretch vertical YPA (SVYPA -- passes over 20 yards downfield) ranked 26th. To get an idea of just how bad those totals were, they each ranked dead last or tied for last in the AFC North.
    Jermaine Gresham of the Bengals and Joe Haden of the Browns are also on that list. To read the rest you have to subscribe to ESPN.

Here's what Joyner had to say about Gresham:
    Gresham certainly showed some potential at times last year, but the blunt truth is that his numbers fell quite short of the Pro Bowl nomination he was given. The 4.7 short pass YPA was tied for the fourth-lowest total among tight ends in that category, and the 8.7 medium YPA ranked 30th. Gresham was tied for 12th in the deep pass YPA metric, but didn't have a single bomb pass thrown his way all season.
    I can certainly see why Gresham would be viewed as overrated. He led AFC North tight ends in receptions (56) and touchdown catches (six) last season, but they weren't numbers usually associated with a Pro Bowl season. Instead of calling him overrated, I would say he was underused. Gresham should be catching between 70 and 80 passes, a goal that could be reached in an offense lacking an established No. 2 wide receiver.
    This is Joyner's explanation of why Haden is overrated:
    Haden was a shutdown cornerback in 2010, as his 6.2 overall YPA that season ranked tied for 18th-best in that metric. His 2011 campaign was another matter entirely, as Haden ranked 51st in overall YPA (8.0), 59th in VYPA (11.0) and 65th in SVYPA (14.4). This wasn't a matter of a low target volume skewing the numbers, either, as Haden's 77 targets last year ranked tied for the 23rd-highest total among cornerbacks in that metric.
    I still believe Haden is the most talented cornerback in the division, even though these statistics suggest otherwise. While he has to intercept more passes, it's impressive that he broke up 37 passes in his first two seasons. He also held his own against some of the best receivers in the NFL, from Larry Fitzgerald to Brandon Marshall.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I still think Flacco squats to pee even though he had moments last year....Flacco will never win a Super Bowl....book it.....

2nd String
    He just might. I have always contended that the Ravens do not build their team around a QB. As a team, they play very well and coalesce like no other team in the league. Yes, even better than our Steelers I would argue. As a result, they can have just about any QB in there and the results will be the same. Sure, that QB may have a bad game or two, and some spectacular showings, but in the end, the team "unit" will win most games. Their season is dictated by the team, not the performance of their QB. Now, if they had a real stinker, or a Joe Montana, that would change, but the majority of the QB's are average and close skill/talent wise.

The Steelers, on the other hand, seem to require the QB to lead them to victory, especially of late with Ben. Imagine if he had Marty Mediocre throwing the ball in recent years? I shudder at the thought. If Baltimore gets a serious QB it could get ugly for the Steelers. In the meantime, when we play Baltimore, we need to knock them off their overall game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I still think Flacco squats to pee even though he had moments last year....Flacco will never win a Super Bowl....book it.....

My Mood
    Addicted
    Flacco is over-rated, but if Trent Dilfer can win a Super Bowl with the Ravens, Flacco can.

C-town

My Mood
    Fine
    Always the best conversations come out of these threads ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

My Mood
    Manic
    C-town the defense the dilfer won was all world they will never be that good again plus Flacco is at the peaki of this talent they had there shot last year although in the old nfl that was a touchdown last year

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

I totally agree with this. Flacco will be put on the corner in some high heel pumps by us this coming season. And he also will be wearing a black and gold skirt too.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    C-town the defense the dilfer won was all world they will never be that good again plus Flacco is at the peaki of this talent they had there shot last year although in the old nfl that was a touchdown last year
    In all honesty, Flacco put the ball in the receivers hands at the end of the game against N.E. He dropped it. Flacco had them in the Super Bowl, if the receiver hangs on. Make no mistake, I hate Flacco, but "just sayin".

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Flacco had his moments last year but until last year he played like a piece of crap in the play-offs......Look at his post-season numbers his first three years?....Just terrible.....

Comparing the 2000 Ravens to the 2011 Ravens is way off....The 2000 Ravens had an alltime great defense....This current Ravens D is banged up and getting older.....I'm saying it now the Ravens miss the play-offs in 2012....book it.....

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Flacco had his moments last year but until last year he played like a piece of crap in the play-offs......Look at his post-season numbers his first three years?....Just terrible.....

Comparing the 2000 Ravens to the 2011 Ravens is way off....The 2000 Ravens had an alltime great defense....This current Ravens D is banged up and getting older.....I'm saying it now the Ravens miss the play-offs in 2012....book it.....
    I agree with this. Look at the hits they took in free agency. They got stripped down. I just don't see that defense being that good (especially with Ed Reed having retirement in his mind all the time) and if the Ravens are behind, they don't have a come from behind offense per say.

And..the Bengals are a better ballclub also too.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information