Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer Intent On Losing Weight, Increasing Role

Bookmark and Share

Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer Intent On Losing Weight, Increasing Role

Steelers’ RB Dwyer intent on losing weight, increasing role
    Jul
    7/2/2012 10:24:03 AM
    Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on stumbleupon Share on digg | More Sharing ServicesMore
    Steelers running back Jonathan Dwyer has been in coach Mike Tomlin's doghouse for being overweight. Dwyer is set to be the backup running back to Isaac Redman when the Steelers start the season Sept. 9 in Denver. That is, if he comes into training camp in shape, Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.

“I am pretty sure he has gotten it now,” Redman said. “I feel a light bulb went off in his head, and he is going to come to camp ready to go.”

Dwyer’s actions are saying the same.

Prodded by two of the NFL’s best running backs in Maurice Jones-Drew and Matt Forte — they share the same agent — Dwyer will spend the next four weeks in North Miami Beach, Fla., at Pete Bommarito Performance Systems ensuring he will arrive at St. Vincent College on July 25 in the best shape of his life.

“They asked me to come down, and I see how successful they are and how the training is and felt it was a good idea,” Dwyer said. “I thought to myself that I would be a fool not to go train down there with them.”

“I am just realizing how much it takes to get where you are in this league and how hard you have to work and push yourself,” Dwyer said. “This is my year to prove something to myself, the league, to the organization, that I am worth more than what I was.”

Dwyer started workouts this week and will remain in Florida until the day before camp.

“I know if I come in at the weight I am supposed to be, I will be OK,” Dwyer said. “It is not anybody else’s responsibility to come into camp in shape. It is mine.”

“Dwyer has all the talent in the world,” Redman said. “He can run the ball; he can block; he can catch out of the backfield. With him, it is all about him being able to come to camp in shape.”
    lol at the redman quote.

anyway, this is exciting if he can come in slimmed down for real this time he has a real shot at getting substantial carries. Hes probably the most complete back on the roster if he stays in shape and stays out of tomlins dog house

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescriptio...?EntryID=27262

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm still surprised he showed up to mini camps so out of shape. I know he was injured and all that but man when you know that the starter is coming off of an ACL injury and you're likely penciled in as the main backup to Redman, you'd think that would be all the motivation you need to get ready.

Starks was huge coming off that neck problem a couple years ago and paid the price, I just hope the light comes on and stays on for Dwyer because he's got a great opportunity this season.

He will be the starter week 3
    - my guess

He has to much upside to be held back.. we really need him to be the antonio of the RB's

Not sure how to feel about Redman calling him out but my bet is like the the above post Dwyer will be the starter at some point this season..

Good to hear he is getting his head on straight and good luck to Dwyer. Also props to Redman helping him.

My Mood
    Addicted
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...yer-shapes-up/ he lost 20 lbs so far down from 240-220 with Mendy out were gonna need him and Redman,man i'm excited for the season to start,i think this is gonna be a special season...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Shouldn't this be the goal of like...every football player??

Veteran
    Dwyer will spend the next four weeks in North Miami Beach, Fla., at Pete Bommarito Performance Systems ensuring he will arrive at St. Vincent College on July 25 in the best shape of his life.
    Based on this comment, he still doesn't quite get it. You can't work hard for 4 weeks and expect everything to be great. I bet Maurice Jones-Drew has been working his butt off since the season ended, which is why he is a great player.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    “I know if I come in at the weight I am supposed to be, I will be OK,” Dwyer said. “It is not anybody else’s responsibility to come into camp in shape. It is mine.”

“Dwyer has all the talent in the world,” Redman said. “He can run the ball; he can block; he can catch out of the backfield. With him, it is all about him being able to come to camp in shape.”
    I'm glad Redman called him out, somebody has too. When you're teammates bring your name out specifically for something that you need to work on, that says something. The Steelers players don't normally call each other out but somebody has to get this guys head out of the fridge and back focused on his career every day, not just in season.

I get that you want to relax in the offseason but after what happened in 2011, I'd never want to go through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Based on this comment, he still doesn't quite get it. You can't work hard for 4 weeks and expect everything to be great. I bet Maurice Jones-Drew has been working his butt off since the season ended, which is why he is a great player.
    hes in good conditioning shape, he wants to trim down and 4 weeks is plenty of time for a RB of his size to do that. MJD spends much of the offseason recouping, the last month into the next month is around the time players kick it into high gear to get in shape for camp

Thread Information