Thread: Reliving the 2005 AFC Divisional Playoff - some things never change

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cool Reliving the 2005 AFC Divisional Playoff - some things never change

I was channel surfing last evening and came across NFL Network showing the 2005 AFC Divisional Playoff between our Steelers and the Colts. We had some fun discussions via twitter with some of our followers and a couple of them mentioned one of the things I was thinking...the 2nd half Steelers need to play like the first half.

Some things never change I guess but damn I would be nice wouldn't it? To see our team play great in the first half and then not start giving the game away in the 3rd and 4th quarter. To see them put the pedal to the metal on offense, the bring the heat on defense, being aggressive across the board. We damn near lost that game; if Vanderjact doesn't miss that FG with only seconds left there's no guarantee we win it in OT?

Cowher did run the ball tremendously in the second half, both Bettis and Parker along with the OL blocked their tails off but ultimately things got out of hand because they sat on the lead.

We see it every year and every year I say to myself, it's going to be different now..but it never is...

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I was channel surfing last evening and came across NFL Network showing the 2005 AFC Divisional Playoff between our Steelers and the Colts. We had some fun discussions via twitter with some of our followers and a couple of them mentioned one of the things I was thinking...the 2nd half Steelers need to play like the first half.

Some things never change I guess but damn I would be nice wouldn't it? To see our team play great in the first half and then not start giving the game away in the 3rd and 4th quarter. To see them put the pedal to the metal on offense, the bring the heat on defense, being aggressive across the board. We damn near lost that game; if Vanderjact doesn't miss that FG with only seconds left there's no guarantee we win it in OT?

Cowher did run the ball tremendously in the second half, both Bettis and Parker along with the OL blocked their tails off but ultimately things got out of hand because they sat on the lead.

We see it every year and every year I say to myself, it's going to be different now..but it never is...
    That was Cowher's Philosophy and why Ben told him in the SuperBowl that year lets not let up coach. I also think Arians liked to play it safe too when he was here but maybe that is Tomlin too.

My Mood
    Addicted
    It's something in the water with Pittsburgh team. The Penguins are the same way, and the Pirates as of late.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I have no doubt that Cowher had that philosophy, the Steelers lived by it for decades; get a lead then sit on it. Offenses are way too explosive these days to keep playing that way. I hate the Pats but they are aggressive till the very end, so were the Colts when Manning was there. I would to see the Steelers get a 21-7 lead at halftime and come out firing for atleast 2 or 3 more TD's instead of FG's or punts.

I agree sitting on a lead don't work in the modern NFL with it being pass happy. I remember years back when Pitt was playing the Chiefs in the playoffs. Think it was Cowher's 1st or 2nd year as coach. Steelers was up 20-0 at halftime and Joe Montana brought the Chiefs back to beat them in the 2nd half.

Thread Information