Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Read: Could the Pittsburgh Steelers Trade Mike Wallace to the Carolina Panthers?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Amazed

Interesting Read: Could the Pittsburgh Steelers Trade Mike Wallace to the Carolina Panthers?

While many expect nothing more than a minor holdout from receiver Mike Wallace, the Pittsburgh Steelers know the can't afford to lose him to free agency. Would the Carolina Panthers offer a valuable trade for him?
    Ike Taylor and other teammates expect Wallace at NFL training camp
    While Ben Roethlisberger gets more and more anxious the longer Wallace is gone, at least one Steelers veteran promises the Pro Bowl receiver will return no later than the start of NFL training camp in July. He feels Pittsburgh will find a deal the receiver likes and the two sides will "get it done." In truth, Mike Wallace might sit under an illusion that he deserves to get paid like superstars Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson. Both players make upwards of $16 million per year. Numbers alone show he's not quite there but one must also take into account that Pittsburgh has some other good receivers on the roster. While Wallace is still the best among them and probably the best in the AFC, most agree if he gets an extension it will stand around $12 million per year. The truth is the Pittsburgh Steelers control the rights to his contract for the next two seasons with the restricted free agent tender this year and then the franchise tag in 2013. Only a stubborn and even obnoxious holdout might sway them to extend or trade him. If it came to that, where would the Steelers send him?

Panthers need an eventual Steve Smith replacement for Cam Newton

One team that could use a number two receiver and an eventual replacement for their number one is the Carolina Panthers. Under rookie Cam Newton, All-Pro receiver Steve Smith came out in 2011 like a phoenix from the ashes. Many expect him to have another good year but the clock is still ticking for him. Smith just turned 33 and runs the risk of injury the more Newton throws to him. It's why Carolina has made their search for a second receiver so important. Many fans like Brandon LaFell or David Gettis to fill that role, Carolina must make sure their prized quarterback has a star target on the outside if they want to compete for Super Bowls. That means they need not just a number two but an eventual successor to Smith. That's where a trade with Pittsburgh comes in. Carolina is in a good spot in that they have plenty of draft picks but also skill players at needed roster areas, particularly offensive linemen like Pro Bowlers Jordan Gross and Ryan Khalil. Either player would become a welcome addition to the bad Steelers line and add some leadership for young rookies like David DeCastro and Mike Adams.

Nothing is certain in the NFL but trading Mike Wallace sounds like the end of the world for Pittsburgh Steelers fans. Then again teams like the Carolinas Panther have good reason to pay high for him as insurance for when Cam Newton can't rely on Steve Smith anymore.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle...81474981431843
    I do not think this will happen but if Wallace becomes even more difficult to work with, I can see it happening as the Steeler Organization is well known for his disdain toward hard to work with players. I know he is an awesome player but I do not think he is what he thinks he is, by far, in fact, he would have to do quite a bit to earn back MANY Steeler fans respect.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Pimp

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok the past three drafts the Steelers have used a first round pick on Maurkice Pouncey in 2010, a 2nd round pick on Marcus Gilbert in 2011, a first on David DeCastro and a 2nd on Mike Adams in this past draft........The Steelers are not going to trade one of the best young WR's in the NFL who is just entering the prime of his career for more OL since really there isn't any need for anymore OL.....Pouncey, Gilbert, DeCastro, Adams are all young and will be one of the best OLs in the NFL.....

Such a stupid article and lets put the whole Mike Wallace trade talks to rest...He isn't going anywhere and a long term deal will get done.....

My Mood
    Addicted
    I can't even see Wallace getting close to 12 million. That would make him highest paid on roster. No way that happens.

The Steelers have Wallace, for two more years: 2.8 million this year and 9.3 millioin next year: that 11 million over two years which is a average of 5.5 million per year: which is about what he is worth. I know Wallace is the Steelers speed guy, but Brown, Sanders, are NOT some slow foot pocession receivers. Besides with Hanley short passing game approach, speed alone, may not be worth what it use to be.

Besides: of the top four receivers on the roster (including Wallace) he has the worse hands.

My Mood
    Manic
    Anything can happen and we don't need wallace to win a super bowl . but i think he will sign and it will be for 8 to 10 mil per for 5 years

interesting, i think id want at least jonathan stewart and a first rounder next year (since we missed out on getting a second this year first round draft pick)

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    interesting, i think id want at least jonathan stewart and a first rounder next year (since we missed out on getting a second this year first round draft pick)
    Now that would be worth it but still I'm all for keeping Wallace. He has not reached his potential yet which I expect he will this year.When that happens and with that speed look the heck out.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    At this point, nothing is for certain. Wallace COULD be traded but I don't think it will happen. I think alot depends on:

1. Is he (or will he be) pouty in the locker-room (Like Desean Jackson last year)
    2. How long he remains unsigned and falls behind in learning a new offensive scheme and terminology.

Time will tell.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Fine
    Hell I thought Jordy Staal was untouchable too ... but the Pens worked out a fair deal for all parties, including Staal himself ...

If it can happen in hockey why can't it happen in the NFL?

If Wallace goes, then we need to protect the value of what was lost with a comparable albeit slightly less capable talent as well as draft picks ... that's my take ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

Thread Information