Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers hire special teams coach.....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Steelers hire special teams coach.....

New head coach Mike Tomlin has made another hire on his coaching staff and it's someone with ties to Pittsburgh.

New head coach Mike Tomlinís first staff with the Pittsburgh Steelers continues to take shape as he has filled one opening and appears close to filling another.

According to the St. Louis Dispatch, Tomlin has hired former Rams special teams coach Bob Ligashesky to replace Kevin Spencer. Spencer joined Ken Whisenhuntís staff in Arizona last week in the same capacity.

The 44-year-old Ligashesky is a Pittsburgh native and played football at IUP. He also coached special teams at the University of Pittsburgh from 2000 through 2003.

Prior to joining the Rams in 2005, Ligashesky, who was fired earlier this week by St. Louis, served as special teams coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2004. Under Ligashesky in 2006, St. Louis finished 25th in the league in punt returns, 26th in kickoff returns and 28th in kickoff coverage.

But placekicker Jeff Wilkins did finish second in the NFL in scoring with 131 points, making 32 of 37 field goals. And the teamís net punt average of 39.0 yards was also second in the NFL.

The hiring of Ligashesky leaves Tomlin with three openings on his staff, running backs, wide receivers and offensive line.

Tomlin may be close to filling one of those as he is reportedly talking to former Arizona Cardinals running backs coach Kirby Wilson about replacing Dick Hoak, who retired from the same position with the Steelers after more than 40 years with the team.

The 45-year-old Wilson, 45, had been with the Cardinals since 2004 but was not retained by Whisenhunt. Wilson coached in Tampa Bay in 2002 and 2003 when Tomlin was the teamís secondary coach.

By SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Jan 26, 2007
    We'll see how this works out.....

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

our ST coach doesnt matter if we draft that punter i want lol

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    It matters a whole lot if your special teams cannot cover.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Prior to joining the Rams in 2005, Ligashesky, who was fired earlier this week by St. Louis, served as special teams coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2004. Under Ligashesky in 2006, St. Louis finished 25th in the league in punt returns, 26th in kickoff returns and 28th in kickoff coverage.

Lets see here for a minute, his coaching expertise allowed his team to finish 25th, 26th and 28th. There are still only 32 teams, right?

Gonna be a long season watching our Sp. Teams.

Wow... Rams were ranked 26th last year and the Steelers were dead last or at least close it... I guess it's an improvement!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i'm starting to think tomlin is nothing more then a puppet, i bet all these hirings are art and colberts hires.............
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    i'm starting to think tomlin is nothing more then a puppet, i bet all these hirings are art and colberts hires.............
    Oh God Koop is starting the smack talk with Tomlin.lol That didn't take long.

Back to the topic. This is a strange hire. The Rams special teams sucked.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    WTF !! Kinda coach is that ! Our special teams were bad enough now they're gonna be worse !!!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Oh God Koop is starting the smack talk with Tomlin.lol That didn't take long.

Back to the topic. This is a strange hire. The Rams special teams sucked.
    i'm not smacking him, it's more to art and colbert, they are just making him a puppet and not letting him do what he wants to do, he didn't even really get his own staff, it was cowher left overs
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    i'm not smacking him, it's more to art and colbert, they are just making him a puppet and not letting him do what he wants to do, he didn't even really get his own staff, it was cowher left overs
    Just joking with you Koop.

I doubt Tomlin is a puppet. The guy seems to have to much pride to be a puppet. But this is a questionable hire for a coach.

Thread Information