Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Rivers have won Super Bowls in Pittsburgh?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Would Rivers have won Super Bowls in Pittsburgh?

I was watching NFL Network last night and they were talking about the Chargers and their current playoff drought. Philip Rivers has had his ups and downs in San Diego but the dude is a competitor and seems to have a good head on his shoulders and a good attitude about where he is and what he's capable of. He's taking his share of lumps as a starter and has shown a toughness and desire to compete. Although at times he loses focus and gets flustered more than you'd probably like but his talent is as good as anyone in the league when he's on his game.

Roethlisberger has won 2 super bowls and been to 3 total.
    Manning has won 2 super bowls.
    Rivers has a big ole zero in the championship department.

I wonder though, had the Steelers drafted Rivers if he'd have been able to lead the team to a any championships the way Ben has, and for that matter how would he have performed vs what Ben and Eli did in their super bowls?

i think he probably would have gotten pummeled behind the oline.

if ben wasnt there they were gonna take andrews anyway, no one expected ben to be on the board. i read they werent very high on rivers

Rivers sucks! I honestly don't see what the hype is about with him!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think Rivers would have been crushed behind our line as well. He's not as mobile and innovative as Ben is when it comes to making something out of nothing. That's something Ben came into the league with but also something that he has perfected over his career.

Things definitely worked out in our favor, getting Ben, however Rivers would probably have a similar career in Pittsburgh that he's had in San Diego. He wouldn't be a flop but that team that Ben lead to super bowl Xl would pretty solid all around.

I think he would have won 1 atleast, guy is a soid qb, not as mobile as Ben is/was but is a very good qb. With the defense that has been behind Ben, Rivers would have alot of wins also.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I think Rivers would have been crushed behind our line as well.
    I agree but we tend to look at things in a vacuum. Such a choice would have had a ripple effect. Knowing that he is not as mobile as Ben, the coaching staff may have decided to place more emphasis on drafting OL in the subsequent years. That would have helped Rivers but obviously would have weakened other parts of the team as well.

So, it is tough to say. I tend to think he could have won one.

It's hard to tell. Thing is, while Roethlisberger's worst playoff games are well-documented, Philip Rivers has played worse in the playoffs overall. He's thrown more INTs than TDs in the playoffs, and his playoff passer rating is only in the high 70's. I consider those numbers unacceptable for a QB who's supposed to be "elite." Yeah, he's gutsy, playing the 2007 AFC Championship Game with a shredded knee ligament, but he didn't play well that game and the Chargers lost. (Funny how when Rivers plays through an injury and struggles, he's "gutsy," but when Roethlisberger does it, he's "stupid" or "selfish.") Overall, I put Rivers in the same category as Tony Romo: QBs who are technically competent and help a team win lots of games, but seem to lack the stones to get it done in the playoffs.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Hell no Rivers wouldn't have won a Super Bowl with the Steelers......I'm so glad he never fell to the Steelers at 11 since Cowher would have drafted Rivers......It was believed Cowher loved Rivers and didn't want Ben......But Dan Rooney and Kevin Colbert wanted Ben.........I think Rivers is a fraud and will be the Dan Fouts of his generation....Stat machine but will never make it to the Super Bowl.......

Rivers had some talented San Diego teams behind him and still they crap the bed when it matter so there is your answer.

Also Ben didn't have a top notch rb like LT in his prime to help him out.

Thread Information