Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Rooney wants the Steelers to play in Ireland

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Dan Rooney wants the Steelers to play in Ireland

Entrenched in his role as U.S. Ambassador to Ireland but with his mind never far from Pittsburgh, Dan Rooney expressed interest this week in bringing an NFL regular-season game — and the Steelers — to the Emerald Isle.

In an interview with BBC Northern Ireland Sports, the influential Steelers chairman emeritus said he has discussed the prospect with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.
    “Sometime soon it would be good, and I think the commissioner would be interested in working something out,” Rooney said. “I’d like to see the Steelers involved, and if it could be worked out by the league, we would enjoy doing it.”

With the NFL filling London’s soccer haven, Wembley Stadium, for one regular-season game each year since 2007 — part of the league’s International Series — Rooney said he could envision the same happening at Dublin’s Croke Park, an 82,500-seat venue that an NFL delegation visited last year.

“(The International Series) has proven very, very successful. In fact, that game sells out almost as soon as they put the tickets up,” he said. “The interest (in Dublin) in sports is, as it is in London, quite strong.”

The Steelers already have played a game in Croke Park, defeating Chicago in a 1997 preseason game. That was when the league often played exhibition games overseas as part of the American Bowl series.

Mark Waller, the NFL’s chief marketing officer, acknowledged the challenges of traveling long distance.
    “When we bring a team over, we are bringing over at least 150 personnel. That’s for each team,” Waller told the BBC. “That’s a massive infrastructural move, and — I want to stress this — with these overseas games, it also is in the middle of our season. So the logistics and planning side are key to the decision.”

From the Pittsburgh Trib
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 06-21-2012 at 08:51 AM.

I'm not a big fan of this... "America's Game"
    "Happy Happy Happy"

i think its a pretty cool idea, then again im not a season ticket holder

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I'll be posting my position on this to the homepage this afternoon.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I think it is fine. Rooney is a businessman. As a former (by then) Ambassador to Ireland, he will draw even more interest in the game and the Steelers. If the game (and the Steelers) take hold in Ireland, it means more Steelers shirts, hats, etc. sold and he profits.

That said, it should not be an annual event.

My Mood
    Addicted
    ...no

My Mood
    Sunshine
    When the owners of teams playing overseas pay airfare and rooming expenses for their season ticket holders, then I'll think it's a good idea.

How many empty stadiums do they need to see before they realize Europians don't care about American football?
    Last edited by jpele; 06-21-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by jpele View Post
    When the owners of teams playing overseas pay airfare and rooming expenses for their season ticket holders, then I'll think it's a good idea.

How many empty stadiums do they need to see before they realize Europians don't care about American football?
    Are they going to make you purchase a ticket for a game in London or, in this case, Dublin? I doubt it. If they do, you have a legitimate gripe. If not, then you do not. It is not like we have a "right" to see every game in person.

As far as attendance, I believe Wembley has seated at most about 88,000 people. NFL International attendance:

2005: 103,467 Mexico
    2007: 81,176
    2008: 83,226
    2009: 84,254
    2010: 83,941
    2011: 76,981

It is kind of hard to complain about that attendance. We should not confuse NFL Europe attendance with the actual NFL. Apparently, Europeans dislike bad American football as much as we do.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    From a business standpoint its a good idea to further the games. More merchandise and what not. From a fan perspective it stinks! Taking it away from the home crowd is never, ever good. I personally hate it. Only 16 games a year as it is.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by TarlsQtr View Post
    Are they going to make you purchase a ticket for a game in London or, in this case, Dublin? I doubt it. If they do, you have a legitimate gripe. If not, then you do not. It is not like we have a "right" to see every game in person.

As far as attendance, I believe Wembley has seated at most about 88,000 people. NFL International attendance:

2005: 103,467 Mexico
    2007: 81,176

2008: 83,226
    2009: 84,254
    2010: 83,941
    2011: 76,981

It is kind of hard to complain about that attendance. We should not confuse NFL Europe attendance with the actual NFL. Apparently, Europeans dislike bad American football as much as we do.
    If I have a season ticket and have to miss a game i have a legitimate complaint.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Thread Information