Thread: No extension for Tomlin yet?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Lightbulb No extension for Tomlin yet?

With all the hype surrounding Wallace and his contract situation, Tomlin's deal is soon coming to an end as well. The Rooney's never make a big deal about coaches contracts in the media, they just get them done, announce it and move on with life.

ESPN reports on Tuesday via Ron Cook of the PG that we should look for a deal for Tomlin to get done sometime in training camp but if that doesn't happen it could begin raising some questions as to the future of Coach T in Pittsburgh?

When it comes to contract talks with the Pittsburgh Steelers, all the talk focuses on wide receiver Mike Wallace. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ron Cook suggests another priority -- coach Mike Tomlin.

He is signed through this season with a team option for the 2013 season, according to the Steelers' official website.

"It seems likely there will be an announcement -- quietly, of course, with no fanfare -- of an extension for Tomlin before camp," Cook wrote. "But if it doesn't happen before the start of the season in September, it will be reason for great concern. Bill Cowher led the Steelers to a win in Super Bowl XL after the 2005 season but didn't get an extension that offseason when he had two years left on his contract. After coaching the team in '06, he was gone. What a shame it would be if Tomlin left."

Hensley's slant: Tomlin deserves an extension and should continue to rank among the highest-paid coaches in sports. He's currently eighth with an annual salary of $5.8 million. He is only one of seven coaches in league history to win a Super Bowl in his first two seasons as an NFL head coach and became only the sixth to win at least nine games in each of his first five seasons since the 1970 merger. (George Seifert, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Chuck Knox and Mike Sherman were the others.)

I hope this gets done...it looks like it should. I want this guy around for a LONG time.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I think Coach Mike is here for a very long time.

Much ado about nothing, must be a slow sports day in the 'Burgh.

C-town

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He'll be here, no question about it. The Rooney's won't give up on him yet. It would take a total collapse this seson for them to even consider the thought of not bringing him back. He's one year removed from a super bowl appearance where half of the offense was injured and the defense was old. He's got a great draft behind him now so we should expect to see a good year and an extension within the next couple of months. Even if they wait until after the season, the media will go crazy with it but tthe front office knows what it's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    I think Coach Mike is here for a very long time.

Much ado about nothing, must be a slow sports day in the 'Burgh.

C-town
    I'm with you on this one. In the day of the 24 hour news cycle, must be hard to keep coming up with topics and issues.

Tomlin should and will be here for quite some time. That makes me happy.

My Mood
    Fine
    Tomlin has a perfect head coach's demeanor ... He is solid with the press ... pulls no BS ... He is solid with his coaches ... He is a fundamentalist ... He leads by example ... He's a standup citizen ...

Not as passionate as Cowher ... not very good with his sideline decisions ...

I can't imagine the Rooney's would just let him walk at this stage of the matter ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm interested to see how Tomlin continues to evolve as a head coach. His adjustments on the fly and his decisions on challenging calls haven't exactly been great at times. How much of that was BA though influencing his thoughts? We'll see.

Thread Information