Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Biggest Reasons Why The Steelers Pass Defense Will Improve In 2012 And Beyond

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Three Biggest Reasons Why The Steelers Pass Defense Will Improve In 2012 And Beyond

Probably the two biggest areas Pittsburgh’s Defense struggled with the most over the last decade have been: Defending in the short and intermediate passing game when spread out against a well-rounded Receiving Corps, and defending against Backs and Ends through the air as well. New England and Tom Brady picked them apart in essentially every matchup, Rich Gannon destroyed them back on in 2002 and almost set all sorts of N.F.L. passing records, Drew Brees had his way with the Defense in 2010, Dick LeBeau’s schemes and numerous mental mistakes cost the Steelers against Tim Tebow of all people, and Aaron Rodgers would have had an even more incredible day in Super Bowl XLV had his Receivers held on to some extremely catchable balls.

Thankfully, it has seemed like Dick LeBeau, the rest of the Defensive Staff, and the Front Office have decided to do something about the Steelers’ Defensive struggles during the last couple of seasons. With the Steelers’ evident Defensive weaknesses on tape, and the League moving more towards a pass-first game,

improvements have been made to the roster, and it appears that the wheels have been set in motion to bolster and fix Pittsburgh’s Pass Defense for years to come. Thus, today I would like to list what I believe are the Top Three Reasons that the Steelers will be an improved Defense against the pass and explain why I feel this way.

Read full article
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 06-18-2012 at 09:59 AM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's still funny to think that the Steelers had the #1 pass defense last year but got torched in the playoffs, and got torched at various times throughout the year. The youth at cornerback and middle linebacker should go a long way towards rectifying the inconsistencies especially in the short to intermediate game.

No matter who starts or finishes opposite Timmons there's clearly going to be a significant speed upgrade in the middle. I don't usually get overly excited about 3rd round picks but Spence looks, early on at least, to be a show stopper once he learns the defense.

Having 3 solid options opposite Ike Taylor is going to make things even better too. No matter who wins the starting job there are 2 other capable bodies behind them ready to step in if need be.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    It's still funny to think that the Steelers had the #1 pass defense last year but got torched in the playoffs, and got torched at various times throughout the year. The youth at cornerback and middle linebacker should go a long way towards rectifying the inconsistencies especially in the short to intermediate game.

No matter who starts or finishes opposite Timmons there's clearly going to be a significant speed upgrade in the middle. I don't usually get overly excited about 3rd round picks but Spence looks, early on at least, to be a show stopper once he learns the defense.

Having 3 solid options opposite Ike Taylor is going to make things even better too. No matter who wins the starting job there are 2 other capable bodies behind them ready to step in if need be.
    It may be a bit late, but I still contend the defense's stats were helped trendously by the group of subpar and rookie QBs they faced last season. Other than Brady and perhaps Flacco, this group played a bunch of hapless rag-tag QBs as I have ever seen. I suppose you could make an argument for Red-Ryder in Cinci, but he was a rookie as well.

At one time I had the list and it was staggering.

C-town

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Our pass defense will improve.

Better indivdual talent will be there and the adding of Spence (linebacker) to help cover the Gronkowski's of the league can only make us better.
    Last edited by Real Deal Steel; 06-18-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Our pass defense will improve.

Better indivdual talent will be there and the adding of Spence (linebacker) to help cover the Gronkowski's of the league can only make us better.
    Yes, I agree. We won't face the low level of QBs we did last year anytime soon.

C-town

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post

C-town
    Guess it's time to show what they got!!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas44 View Post
    Guess it's time to show what they got!!
    You got that right!

My Mood
    Clowns
    Playing young and or inexperienced QB's usually helps your stats, there is no doubt about it. A great season by Ike Taylor, Polamalu, and Clark all went a long way though regardless of who they faced at QB. Gay had a decent season but Keenan Lewis coming in to help and Cortez Allen getting good reps at the dime position; all 3 made up one good cornerback.

C-town
    They do have Mark Sanchez this year unless, of course, Tebow is playing by then. LOL They were just outcoached in the Denver game IMO, but the season was really over when Ben got hurt in Cleveland game.

My Mood
    Addicted
    It may be a bit late, but I still contend the defense's stats were helped trendously by the group of subpar and rookie QBs they faced last season. Other than Brady and perhaps Flacco, this group played a bunch of hapless rag-tag QBs as I have ever seen. I suppose you could make an argument for Red-Ryder in Cinci, but he was a rookie as well.

At one time I had the list and it was staggering.

C-town
    Besides getting burnt a few times in the Denver game the secondary actually played pretty well all year. Getting a good pass rush will really help the young guys come along though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information