Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colbert says Mendenhall likely to start season on the PUP

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Colbert says Mendenhall likely to start season on the PUP

"My guess is they'll open the season on PUP (the physically unable to perform list)," Colbert told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Friday.

Kicking off 2012 on the PUP means Mendenhall would be unavailable to the Steelers until after the sixth game of the season. Colbert hinted at the same fate for nose tackle Casey Hampton ,recovering from a serious knee injury. Both players are in the final year of their contracts with the team.

"When one guy is not here,another guy steps up," Redman told NFL Network's Aditi Kinkhabwala last month . "That's Steelers football."

For many years,that's been true. Only a handful of teams in the league have shown the ability to weather roster turnover and injuries with the skill of Pittsburgh. Mendenhall has posted three straight 1,000-yard seasons,and Redman will be asked to do the same in Todd Haley's run-oriented attack. Mendenhall is often forgotten in debates about football's top young backs. He shouldn't be. Mendenhall's absence would be costly,but we expect Redman to fill the gap, because that's what this team does.

NFL.com

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This isn't anything we should be surprised about. Even if Mendy thinks he's ready to go the Steelers would do well to put him on the PUP and get him that extra 6 weeks of rest just to be safe. It's hard enough to come back and be effective after a torn ACL but his running style includes so much cutting and dancing around that if he's not fully healed he could set himself back further.

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    It's hard enough to come back and be effective after a torn ACL but his running style includes so much cutting and dancing around that if he's not fully healed he could set himself back further.
    That's right ... and that's why we should just place Mendy on the IR and let him miss the entire season ... Redman is up to the task ...

Pittsburgh Steelers RB Isaac Redman's between-the-tackles running style potentially gives the offense a better shot at getting back to a physical brand of football. Since the start of the 2010 season, RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee) averaged 3.9 yards per carry, the fifth worst among the 28 players with at least 300 rushes in the past two seasons. Mendenhall also had the second fewest yards after contact (1.6 per carry) among running backs with at least 200 carries.
    Mendenhall also had the second fewest yards after contact (1.6 per carry) among running backs with at least 200 carries? ... ... Well that pretty much shoots down the "it was the horrible O-Line" theory ...
    Last edited by The Lakelander; 06-17-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

Quote Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
    That's right ... and that's why we should just place Mendy on the IR and let him miss the entire season ... Redman is up to the task ...

Mendenhall also had the second fewest yards after contact (1.6 per carry) among running backs with at least 200 carries? ... ... Well that pretty much shoots down the "it was the horrible O-Line" theory ...
    Not necessarily and a lot of those hits could be defense players penetrating the line before Mendy got a chance to get going. That said he does to me look like he goes down easy after the first hit. He seem to get some fire under him later in the season last year though.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post

Not sure why you believe that such a stat vindicates the OL and convicts Mendy. A bad OL will allow many more clean hits and multiple hits than a good OL would.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I like the decision to place him on PUP. Let him have the extra time to heal and come back mid-season. His fresh legs will carry us deep into the play-offs.

I hope all the backs do good, that means the Steelers have a better chance at success.

Let's see what all our backs can do with a much improved O-line.

C-town
    Last edited by ChucktownSteeler; 06-17-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Waterboy

Unhappy

Hope this is a breakout year for Redman. Hoping for the best for Mendy, but I just have a bad feeling he might never return near his form again..

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Talking to Chuck Finder from CBS Sports tonight on the podcast; there's no rush to bring back Mendenhall right now. The coaches are pretty content in Redman and the other backs on the roster. Even if he doesn't start the season on the PUP, they can put him on the active roster but just deactivate him for the first month to see how things go. Also, they can take him off the PUP list anytime they want this summer but if they do, he can't go back on it this season so they are playing ti be ear for the time being.

As for Hampton, don't be surprised if he doesn't start on the PUP. They may do the same thing and have him on the active roster to start the year whether he's ready or not but only play him after the first month. As Hampton has said before, I only have to run 1 yd to the right, left, forward or backwards. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post
    Not necessarily and a lot of those hits could be defense players penetrating the line before Mendy got a chance to get going.
    I'm having flashbacks to the first Baltimore game (I use that term loosely) when one of the Baltimore defenders ran right by Legursky or whoever it was and hit Mendy before he had time to take even one step. He had just gotten the handoff.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Root4Stlrs View Post
    I'm having flashbacks to the first Baltimore game (I use that term loosely) when one of the Baltimore defenders ran right by Legursky or whoever it was and hit Mendy before he had time to take even one step. He had just gotten the handoff.
    That is correct, it was Ngata. Mendy had no chance on that play.

Thread Information