Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hopes are high for 3 young CBs: Lewis, Allen, and Brown

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Hopes are high for 3 young CBs: Lewis, Allen, and Brown

Maybe William Gay was on to something.

Maybe the guy who tied for the team lead in interceptions last season with Ike Taylor and Troy Polamalu, who tied for second on the team in passes defensed with Polamalu, who played a lot of cornerback for a team that won a lot of games, saw the handwriting on the wall. Granted, William Gay never was a threat to make the Pro Bowl and his lot with the Steelers always was going to be as a contributor and not a star. But still, he was not a disposal part.

Read more:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...c-264d7992dc01

Rookie Free Agent
    Hope better be high! if these guys don't step up we're toast. I think our season rides on these young CB's being an asset to the team rather than a liability. If these young CB's don't step up, I don't expect us to content for a championship this year.

one of the more interesting battler in camp. Personally id like to see lewis win the RCB job, Allen start to take clarks job at FS (starting week 1 and never looking back), and brown replace gay as the NB

My Mood
    Addicted
    Brown will be tremendous at nickel back, has great instincts and ball skills. I likey.

C-town

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I disagree in that I DO think we will contend for a championship.

Overall, our pass defense was one of the best last season. We had breakdowns in the Broncos game with Clark not being there. With that said, I think the individual talent will be upgraded this year in the secondary and I think the cohessiveness we need will be built in camp and preaseason. I'm expecting great play from the secondary.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    one of the more interesting battler in camp. Personally id like to see lewis win the RCB job, Allen start to take clarks job at FS (starting week 1 and never looking back), and brown replace gay as the NB
    Do you really think they'll start to groom Cortez as a Safety? I wouldn't mind them doing so but you know how they are with their veterans; they won't start to seriously think about inserting a new face until the old one is so far gone it's not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Do you really think they'll start to groom Cortez as a Safety? I wouldn't mind them doing so but you know how they are with their veterans; they won't start to seriously think about inserting a new face until the old one is so far gone it's not even funny.
    he was getting reps at FS over clark in passing situations last season...hes got the skillset to play both CB and FS but i hope he takes that week one start (or at LEAST a lot of playing time against denver week one, i dont mind mundy but mundy iis a much better SS backup than FS starter)

I think he has a better skillset to play FS than lewis who may lack lateral quickness to play FS, so by default i think they would work allen in at FS and Lewis in at CB unless one of them fails miserably. Brown on the other hand is built for NB but has legit outside potential, id like to see him make the NB spot his own though.

Allen could be ikes replacement at CB down the road, but i hope he takes the FS spot and never looks back.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I hope not, I love the height and speed at corner. But you have to get the best DB's on the field. With the league wanting to be a passing league the NB is almost a starter these days..

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    he was getting reps at FS over clark in passing situations last season...hes got the skillset to play both CB and FS but i hope he takes that week one start (or at LEAST a lot of playing time against denver week one, i dont mind mundy but mundy iis a much better SS backup than FS starter)

I think he has a better skillset to play FS than lewis who may lack lateral quickness to play FS, so by default i think they would work allen in at FS and Lewis in at CB unless one of them fails miserably. Brown on the other hand is built for NB but has legit outside potential, id like to see him make the NB spot his own though.

Allen could be ikes replacement at CB down the road, but i hope he takes the FS spot and never looks back.
    But were they giving him reps because they were grooming him or because of injury issues based on what happened to the secondary (Troy) with injuries the two previous seasons?
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Manic
    I hope Allen stays at Corner .Brown will be a great nickle corner Lewis is more of a safety too me

Thread Information