Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concussion this, concussion that... Make it stop!

Bookmark and Share
    The subject isn't going away anytime soon. I think it's only just begun. There's no doubt that all the press will keep many mom's and dad's from letting their kids play football.

You can read how some ex players who were at John Stallwoth's golf outing feel about it.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...about_con.html

My thoughts on this quote:

"The main issue is whether or not the NFL had information that would have been beneficial to the players and kept that information from them," former Auburn running back Joe Cribbs said after the Stallworth tournament. "If that's the case, and that's proven to be the case, that's an injustice."
    Injustice means give me lots of money.

Though he is a judge in Pittsburgh and one of a rare handful of ex-players with a law degree, Woodruff looks at things a little more pragmatically and a little less legalistically.

"As far as I know, there's not a whole lot you can do about it," he said. "You've got to live your life and hopefully you have enough family support around you so you can live out those golden years in a relatively good and peaceful way. If it's coming, it's coming. You just pray a little bit more and hopefully you can get through it so you can peacefully live out the life you want to."
    I never knew he was a judge.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Ornery
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    The subject isn't going away anytime soon. I think it's only just begun. There's no doubt that all the press will keep many mom's and dad's from letting their kids play football.

I wonder what football will be like in twenty years...if it even exists. More and more parents are discouraging their sons from playing football...
    The Tradition Continues!!!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    The son of a co-worker just finished 9th grade. He's on a fast track to being a local football star. His mother and I have had many conversations about that. Right now, her main worry is another player taking out his knees. She and her husband aren't worried about concussions, at least not yet. He plays corner and wide receiver, so he has and will continue to experience high speed hits. Those hits will get faster and harder as he goes from JV to Varsity to college and maybe pro.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

Waterboy
    How they have nearly taken one the most exciting plays in all sports (the kickoff) out of the game completely, is a tragedy...

Super Moderator Mean Linebacker's Avatar
    My Mood
    Blah
    All the NFL is ultimately worried about is the future of the game and what the soccer parents think. Right now their kids play baseball, soccer, or basketball so nobody is worried about concussions. If this type of thing keeps getting the press that it has been recently you're eventually going to see a decline in the quality of football prospects coming into the NFL.

It's a tragedy that the game we all love is turning into this political battle between the league and the players. You can cry player safety all you want but in the end if you're going to play football you know the risks. There is no excuse for ignorance of the potential risks so anybody that says they don't know is an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Linebacker View Post
    All the NFL is ultimately worried about is the future of the game and what the soccer parents think. Right now their kids play baseball, soccer, or basketball so nobody is worried about concussions. If this type of thing keeps getting the press that it has been recently you're eventually going to see a decline in the quality of football prospects coming into the NFL.

It's a tragedy that the game we all love is turning into this political battle between the league and the players. You can cry player safety all you want but in the end if you're going to play football you know the risks. There is no excuse for ignorance of the potential risks so anybody that says they don't know is an idiot.
    Soccer is getting more and more press about the dangers it poses. When you actually use your head to score a goal or to move the ball around, you know it has to be dangerous. And there's no helmet to protect you. I believe that there will be improvements in technology that decrease some of the dangers of concussions in football. I've heard about using Kevlar technology to absorb the energy from the hit and that prevents the brain from bouncing around in the skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Root4Stlrs View Post
    Soccer is getting more and more press about the dangers it poses. When you actually use your head to score a goal or to move the ball around, you know it has to be dangerous. And there's no helmet to protect you.
    I watched a Euro 2012 game last week. I was amazed at the amount of players flopping around like a fish out of water on the ground. It seemed like one every few minutes.

If you watch Rugby they wear no or very few pads, only a couple wear helmets and they look like leather ones from the 30's or something like a wrestling helmet. They don't hit with their heads, they tackle with their arms and shoulder. I'm not sure if they have head injury problems or not.
    -Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    I watched a Euro 2012 game last week. I was amazed at the amount of players flopping around like a fish out of water on the ground. It seemed like one every few minutes.

If you watch Rugby they wear no or very few pads, only a couple wear helmets and they look like leather ones from the 30's or something like a wrestling helmet. They don't hit with their heads, they tackle with their arms and shoulder. I'm not sure if they have head injury problems or not.
    Its not really comparable though. It is two different sport cultures. Even though I'm from Denmark I'm not a huge soccer fan, so I will not defend it at all, but I will say that it is a rising trend that the players fall down for nothing. It is immensely annoying to watch, but it really has nothing to do with the players security. You very rarely see anything life-threatening in soccer. Sometimes a guy swallows his own tongue, or a guy gets hit by lightning but those a freak accidents. There have not really been any talk about concussions worth mentioning.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Put them back in leather helmets and no face guards.

C-town

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    but I will say that it is a rising trend that the players fall down for nothing. It is immensely annoying to watch, but it really has nothing to do with the players security.
    That was the first game I actually watched in years, Poland vs Russia. It was actually fun other than the players falling down for nothing.
    -Wayne Dyer

Thread Information