Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hampton says he wants to play a few more years

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb Hampton says he wants to play a few more years

"Iím planning on coming back for the season," Hampton said Wednesday. "Thatís what Iím looking at. Thatís realistic for me. I donít know about anybody else.

When asked about the possibility of being placed on the PUP list: "Nah, I canít see that happening," he said. "I feel like Iím ready to go." - ESPN

@DVEMike: Casey Hampton on departed teammates Farrior, Smith, Hoke: "The difference between me and them, if I ain't here I'm gonna be somewhere else." "I'm not gonna retire. I want to play a few more years. Hopefully it's here but with those young guys coming you never know." "shooting for the beginning of the season" for his return. "I'm never ready to play in July, anyway. I'm always ready in September."

Hampton's deal is up after this year so he'd have to sign a new contract or have the team get him an extension if he wants to stick around.

Lots of things can still happen but for the time being it looks like this will be his last year with the team.

Draft Pick
    I dunno. I think he doesn't have a lot of tread left on the tires based on his play last year. He may "want" to play a few years more but if the team moves on will someone take a chance on him?. Probalbly so.

Rookie Free Agent
    I think it would be great if he can start the season. I do however feel we should platoon at NT providing McClendon and Ta'Amu can be productive. A fresh healthy Hampton would be great for the playoffs.

its gonna be for someone else, a beefed up mcclendon and taamu could make it a crowded position, keeping hampton too long is a great way NOT to develop young talent at NT

I got sick of watching him get rolled up like a fat kid at the bus stop. If he can play and beat out the young guys great, if not get him out of here..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Father time waits for nobody. Snack might have a couple seasons left but how effective will he be?
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Manic
    Hampton was one of the best for many years and he is still as good as any one for 20 min a game but we won't resign him to be a part time player . In fact he may not last the season he will get hurt again.The youth movement is in full effect in Pittsburgh

he, like farrior looked to be washed up a few years ago and had a heroic late career surge, he shed pounds and regained dominance...im afraid thats not going to happen twice for a 370 pound NT coming off a bad knee

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ktrain makes a good point, the Steelers have held onto old veterans for so long and have paid the price. They are slowly but surely being phased out in these last couple of years and Hampton is probably the next one to go. I wonder though when push comes to shove if he'll really go somewhere else. Ward said the same thing..I have a few more years left, I want another championship, blah blah blah, but when push came to shove he'd rather go out a Steeler and just finish out his career with a familiar team.

My Mood
    Manic
    I think Hamp would try to make another team and would be cut in the process the only reason he is still on the roster is clearly based on past performance because Mclendon and Ta'amu are going to give him all he can handle this year .Personally i think they will put him on the pup list so he can mentor the young guys

Thread Information