Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers 2012 OTA updates thread

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers 2012 OTA updates thread

WR Mike Wallace, as expected due to his unsigned tender, didn't show for the voluntary OTAs Tuesday. Among other Steelers absent were DE Brett Keisel, CB Ike Taylor OLB Jason Worilds; attendance isn't mandatory until minicamp June1-14. RB Baron Batch (August) participated, but fellow ACL-repaired teammates RB Rashard Mendenhall (January) and NT Casey Hampton (February) were rendered spectators.

From our friend Chuck Finder at CBS Sports

Nothing extremely concerning right here now. Ike Taylor is a workout beast in the offseason so he'll be ready to go. We don't know the reason yet for Keisel being absent but it could be due to his continued rehab from the groin injury last year. He says he's ready to go but I would imagine he wants to take it easy this offseason.

Other updates via Twitter this afternoon:

Larry Foote on the subject of taking on leadership responsibilities this season: @steelers: Larry Foote: "I think i've always been a leader on this team, one of the leaders, we've got a whole bunch on this team". Everybody has just got to step up. Bottom line, in this league, you’ve got to do your job, period. I don’t care who you are"
    @DVEMike: Foote on replacing Farrior's leadership: "I have the respect around here. I've been here 10 years. That demands respect. They'll listen."
    Emmanuel Sanders officially returning punts: @MarkKaboly_Trib: Emmanuel Sanders is your new punt returner ... or at least that is what he said happened Day 1 of OTAs
    Casey Hampton & Rashard Mendenhall not participating in OTA's but are working out: @MarkKaboly_Trib: Mendenhall and Hampton working out feverishly on their own. Mendenhall looked good
    Polamalu will attend all OTA's: @MarkKaboly_Trib: Troy Polamalu will attend all 10 OTAs and minicamp. Never done that before.
    @CBSSportsNFLPit: S Troy Polamalu made a rare springtime appearance -- he's normally at home in California working out. "It's nice for everybody new to see a familiar face," Polamalu said. "And, hopefully, to get myself better."
    Sanders says Wallace deal will get done; Tomlin also agrees: WR Emmanuel Sanders was among the teammates who communicated with WR Mike Wallace about a potential long-term deal. "He is a guy who wants to be here," Sanders said. "It's the business side. It's definitely not because the Steelers don't want Mike here."
    On the topic of Wallace not being at OTA's and is he (Tomlin) disappointed in that situation: "Not at all, this is a business, it's an element of the business. Mike came in, we visited last week, we had good communication. This process is going to run it's course. We know what type of young man he is, he's a hard worker, a diligent young man. It will be over soon, there will be some short term misery but it won't be significant in the big scheme of things hopefully." - note, key word here is "hopefully" but many expect Wallace to sign his 1 yr. tender and join the team by the time the mandatory camps start in June.
    Video link
    Ike Taylor will be at OTA's this week, missed today due to flight not getting into until this afternoon: @TribLive_Radio: Ike Taylor will be at the OTA's tomorrow.
    Colon and his new position at Guard: @MarkKaboly_Trib: Colon about guard being more suited to his mauling-style play "I'm going to kick (butt) regardless, it doesn't matter what position I am in". @DVEMike: Pouncey on Colon at LG: "He's going to be a monster." Pouncey on Gilbert staying at RT: "I don't think he cares. He just wants to play."
    Colon also on the atmosphere at camp without guys like Hines Ward, James Farrior, and Aaron Smith: The atmosphere at OTAs is undeniably different without a handful of decade-long leaders."Not having Aaron [Smith], James [Farrior], Hines [Ward] -- with him smiling like always --that's definitely a different feel," said LG Willie Colon. "It definitely helped using championships. All you can do is remember the legacy."
    More players like the new playbook: @DVEMike Pouncey big fan of new playbook. "I like it a lot. Hopefully everyone else does. It's exciting, man."" -- So, ado = nothing.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 05-22-2012 at 04:04 PM.

taylor and keisel are among the players that need OTAs the least.

worilds is among those who probably need it the most

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Also from Chuck Finder..
    Mike Tomlin wasn't concerned with a few absentees from Tuesday's voluntary OTAs. "It's important for as many people as possible to be here," Tomlin said. "We have a lot of work in front of us." New offensive coordinator Todd Haley opened with two prospective starting OL (still in college) and without holdout WR Mike Wallace.

My Mood
    Roflol
    Taylor coming up in TribRadio in a couple minutes.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

My Mood
    Manic
    Troy showed up to support Ta'amu

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Updated the first post with a lot more info via twitter and Chuck Finder at CBS Sportsline. Wallace, Sanders, Polamalu, Foote, Colon, and more talk to media.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Also from Chuck Finder..
    Mike Tomlin wasn't concerned with a few absentees from Tuesday's voluntary OTAs. "It's important for as many people as possible to be here," Tomlin said. "We have a lot of work in front of us." New offensive coordinator Todd Haley opened with two prospective starting OL (still in college) and without holdout WR Mike Wallace.
    Good to hear that Hampton and Mendy looked good and were working out already. Don't count Mendy out for the all import playoff late season. It would be nice to see him come in late year with fresh legs and help lead us to #7.

On a side note: Does anyone know if Chuck Finder's new book has hit the stands yet? I contributed a story or two to it and a photo, but not sure if they were included. Any news is appreciated.

Chucky

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Good to hear that Hampton and Mendy looked good and were working out already. Don't count Mendy out for the all import playoff late season. It would be nice to see him come in late year with fresh legs and help lead us to #7.

On a side note: Does anyone know if Chuck Finder's new book has hit the stands yet? I contributed a story or two to it and a photo, but not sure if they were included. Any news is appreciated.

Chucky
    Matt and I spoke with Chuck a couple of months ago on the podcast. His book should be available in August as he was hoping for a 'football season' release.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Everything sounds good. Let's all knock on wood.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    Matt and I spoke with Chuck a couple of months ago on the podcast. His book should be available in August as he was hoping for a 'football season' release.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the update. If my photo is included you can always use the book to scare rats away! LOL

I sent a release form in, but he couldn't promise I would make the book.

Can't wait to see it on the shelves!

C-town

Thread Information