Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the praise for Sean Spence also a knock on Stevenson Sylvester?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Is the praise for Sean Spence also a knock on Stevenson Sylvester?

The voluntary OTA's have wrapped up now for the Steelers, with only the mandatory team workouts next week left before training camp starts.

Keith Butler and Dick Lebeau were talking to the media after the workouts yesterday, and among the people they talked about were Sean Spence and how well he's coming along.

My question to you all; with that praise coming and nothing being mentioned of Sylvester, does that mean Spence might have the inside track to moving up the depth chart quicker than maybe Sylvester does?

IMO Spence is going to see a lot of special teams work this year they may use him in combination with Sylvester to spell Foote or Timmons but neither of the young guys will be a significant contributor on defense unless injuries force them into duty.

But Butler seemed pleased with what he has seen thus far in some junior members of the linebacker corps, with one caveat: "Here's the deal -- they all look good in shorts. Its almost like a beauty contest. But, when the hittin' starts, we'll find out about 'em."

He has found out, however, that third-round pick Sean Spence -- who made an eye-catching interception in drills yesterday -- is a quick study and likely will see game action this season.

"He's coming along well. A very sharp young man. He's picking up our system as good as anybody has at this point," Butler said.

"He's showed me some things ... I wouldn't say he's not going to play. The fact of the matter is, since I've been here, we've never had a rookie start for us -- not Lawrence Timmons, not LaMarr Woodley, not anybody. So we'll see with him. He may not start, but he's probably going to get some playing time."

Butler also singled out second-year man Chris Carter as well as undrafted free agents Adrian Robinson and Brandon Hicks for their good showing in OTAs..

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz1xCl8w84M

i do believe sly bulked up to become more effective as a LB and not just a STer, but im afraid his bulking may have really hindered his coverage skill...hes too stiff. Spence is the anti sly, and i really like sly its just do or die for him to make any kind of impact in a package on defense

My Mood
    Fine
    Carter flashed enough last year for me to be hopeful of him ...

I got a really strong hunch about Spence ... I think he's going to be too good to keep off the field ... the inside backers (Timmons and Spence) with their speed and quickness on the same field is a delicious notion ... I'd love to see more impact plays from our inside backers ... more INT's ... more forced fumbles ... more tipped passes ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

Put 10, maybe 15 lbs on Spence and he'll be good to go. I'm pretty excited about his abilities.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I really like his his speed, Spence. We've been slow on the inside for far too long and have payed the price for it. Foote will do nicely, especially in a leadership role getting the defense set, but Spence could be a long term steal. He and Sly battling it out should be a good one to watch.

If Sly has bulked up too much, could they consider putting him on the outside at some point? It's possible.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Wow...

Isn't this a pleasant problem? Having two good linebackers and trying to figure which would be better.

With the game being what it is today (linebackers having to cover the Gronkowski's and Hernandez's TE in the league) Spence probably provides the better coverage because of his speed. But we have to stop the run too.

Really, really tough call. And it's something that will be worked out in camp no doubt. But this is a pleasant problem because regardless, I think we will be okay.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Draft Pick
    Sylvester is going to have to show me that he has more than a catchy nickname to deserve being on the field. Time will tell.

I like Sly a lot (hence my avatar) and I'll admit it's time for him to step up. I like "no name" players. Back in 05, Larry Foote was my guy until he left for Detroit then my favorite was Fox then when he left I turned to Sly. I am currently crushing on Spence. I like our linebackers and think they are very talented but someone is going to have to step up.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Unless Sly makes some major strides this year he'll be relegated to special teams again.....where he is an absolute beast!
    The Tradition Continues!!!

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    anyone but Foote...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Thread Information