Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kugler wants an offensive line set by the start of training camp..DeCastro and Adams Updates...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cool Kugler wants an offensive line set by the start of training camp..DeCastro and Adams Updates...

Getting some buzz today was Todd Haley talking about the playbook and Sean Kugler talking about the status of where he wants the offensive line to be at when camp starts. Scott Brown from the Trib tweeted today Kugler wants to have his starting 5 set by the time camp starts. We'll have a good idea of where they are heading once the final mini camp coming up is over.

OL coach Sean Kugler said that when the Steelers' first two draft picks show up for minicamp next week (academic scheduling prevented their OTA attendance), David DeCastro will be at RGand Mike Adams at LT. "They'll be rotating in with the 1s and 2s," Kugler said. "They're going to get multiple reps next week so we can see what they can do." - CBS Rapid Reports

OL coach Sean Kugler said OL Marcus Gilbert will continue to get reps at both LT and RT. Gilbert started at RT as a rookie last season but has a history at -- and a desire to play --LT. Rookie Mike Adams will compete to start at LT. "We're going to get the best five guys out there," Kugler said. - CBS Rapid Reports

Steelers OL coach Sean Kugler said rookie OL David DeCastro were handed laptops with the playbook on them, are sent install packets in the mail weekly and speak on the phone with coaches nightly. Neither could attend OTAs because of their schools' academic calendar. "The types of questions they're asking shows me that they're looking at their stuff," Kugler said. - CBS Rapid Reports

I like that he's willing to put the rookies out there and let them learn on the job. I'm not worried about DeCastro but I still get concerned with Adams at LT to start the year. Rookies starting at Tackle is rough, just look at Gilbert last year on both the left and right; he took his licks and did get better but Ben also got killed and the run game suffered.

I hope they work out and work out great but we'd be foolish to think that they won't struggle early on once the bullets start flying.

My Mood
    Manic
    Yes i know what you mean about rookies being put in but lets face it as good as Gilbert turned out to be Adams is projected better and DeCastro is clearly better based on tape so to me these aren't normal rookies

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Two top draft picks, and you expect them to step up early and often. I think DeCastro will catch on quick. Working beside a healthy Pouncey will help tremendously.

Adams taking his licks on the job would pay off as the season goes on if Ben survives the first 8 games. LOL

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

adams is much more pro ready than gilbert was and gilbert played very well as a rookie.

decastro leaves me with no doubt though, hes gonna be our best lineman....and playing next to poucey is going to be special

My Mood
    Manic
    If i was a free agent running back i would sign with the Steelers for the minimum the line this year will be similar to the old Cowboy lines that Emmitt had . I mean seriously Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert is absolutely sick!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    If i was a free agent running back i would sign with the Steelers for the minimum the line this year will be similar to the old Cowboy lines that Emmitt had . I mean seriously Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert is absolutely sick!!!!!!!
    tomlinson would be lovely

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    when was the last time someone said that about our line?
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Steel View Post
    when was the last time someone said that about our line?
    smith-faneca-hartings-simmons-starks was the last time the line was good, this line could potentially be SO much better

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I too like the idea of getting the personel issues of the line resolved as early as possible. Everyone knows that a successful O-line key element is cohessiveness. And you make that by having the same guys line up together.

The players we have now to put on the O-line are impressive. And we should be able to run the rock with some authority again. Even Ben said from what he's seen, we will be running the ball well this coming season.

I think we are all having great anticipation of how our offense will look for this coming season. I know that I can't wait.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Our offense needs to keep Flacco and Dalton off the field...

Thread Information