Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porter: I would have held out...

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Porter: I would have held out...

Just watching NFL total access, and Joey is on there on Steelers cam. Talking about Ben's injury and how its basically overhyped by the media but when Marshall Faulk questioned him he said, "if it wasn't for Cowher I would have seriously considered holding out. "

If there was ever any doubt of this teams faith in BC for the 2006 season after all this contract stuff, it should be squashed now. Porter said Cowher told him it will get taken care of and that he (cowher) would be here this year, and that was enough for Joey.

Right on Porter !!! Good to see ya on the field again !

My Mood
    Addicted
    Cowher is the man as always. He always has his players' respect.

#1 Hater of the other 30 SteelCityMan786's Avatar
    Good to see Porter didn't hold out.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    here's an article of that story

Porter remains unhappy camper over contract
    Cowher main reason LB reported to camp on time

Friday, August 18, 2006
    By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers linebacker Joey Porter told the NFL Network last night that he almost did not show up at camp this summer, and the main reason he did was because of his close relationship with coach Bill Cowher.

"He's one of the main reasons why I'm back here at camp," Porter said. "Contract-wise I wasn't too happy with the situation that we [had] going into the season. But I talked to coach Cowher, and after me and him had our words ... he said he's going to be here, so he had a big impact on me being here in camp this year."

Co-host Marshall Faulk then asked a follow-up question about holding out of camp and whether Porter felt like he was underpaid.

"Definitely," Porter said. "I definitely feel that I have outplayed the contract that I am under. What I bring to the team ... It's not just me out there playing football. Me being the leader I am and the response I get from my team ... The whole city of Pittsburgh knows what I bring. Coach Cowher knows what I bring.

"We had a talk, and it was 'I need you.' I was unhappy. There was no use me lying about it. I wasn't going to talk to anybody and just play football since they made it the business it is. I was ready to just come out here and give them the business.

"I didn't have to come out here and be nice to anybody. But me having a talk with coach Cowher and the relationship we have, I feel like I can suck it in, even though I'm not happy with the contract, go out there for coach Cowher and play like I know how to play and just put it all in God's hands and see what happens next year."

The Post-Gazette reported in May that Porter was unhappy with his contract. Porter, 29, has two years left on a contract he signed in February 2004. He is scheduled to earn a $3.85 million salary this year and $5 million next season, which includes a $1 million roster bonus.

Porter, one of the Steelers' captains since 2003, led all NFL linebackers last season with 101/2 sacks and made his third Pro Bowl. His 53 career sacks rank sixth all-time for the Steelers, half a sack behind Greg Lloyd. A third-round draft choice from Colorado State in 1999, Porter became the team's starting right outside linebacker in 2000.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06230/714492-66.stm
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Amazed
    It has been widely reported about what a leader JP is in the locker room. Prior to this season when they were talking about "who is gonna replace bettis' leadership?" And Ben said, "Joey Porter will be one" I had no idea Joey was that much of a respected leader.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelerlyn
    It has been widely reported about what a leader JP is in the locker room. Prior to this season when they were talking about "who is gonna replace bettis' leadership?" And Ben said, "Joey Porter will be one" I had no idea Joey was that much of a respected leader.
    It has a great deal to do with his intensity. He's always going at 110% and he gets other players fired up and ready to play. He's gonna go out there and play his *** off whether we're undefeated or 0-16.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Addicted
    I'm not sure we will be able to afford him if he is unhappy about getting 8-9 million over the next two years. I'm just glad he's back this year and ready to play. Hopefully things work out next year with his contract.

SA's #1 James Farrior Fan PITT23's Avatar
    I think the biggest reason he needs more money is that by the time this current contract is over he'll be 31 and maybe out of his prime and this is the best shot he'll get for more cash. Its great to think that all of these guys think highly enough of Cowher to get back in there and work.
    :: Whoa, where the hell was I for 2 years?::

My Mood
    Addicted
    I agree Pitt. Joey is just one of those guys who can just raise the intensity level. I would hate to lose Joey, but his contract is coming at a very bad time. We have Ben and Troy to sign and possibly Ike. Those guys will be higher on the priority list.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Prosdo
    I agree Pitt. Joey is just one of those guys who can just raise the intensity level. I would hate to lose Joey, but his contract is coming at a very bad time. We have Ben and Troy to sign and possibly Ike. Those guys will be higher on the priority list.
    Oh, you can count on Ike being gone after this year. There is noway I see the Rooney's giving Ike a 10 million dollar signing bonus like his agent wants. Hell Hines Ward only got a 9 million signing bonus. I like Ike Taylor and I think the kid has a ton of pontential. But I think most are really overrating him right now. Trust me its easy to do. Since Rod Woodson left we have seen alot of average to bad corners. Oh, Chad Scott, DeWayne Washington and Donnell Woolford come to mind. So I really I don't blame alot of fans to be excited about Ike Taylor. The kid did have a good year last year and did step up his game. But he is far from a finished product. The chances are we will see that finished product in another teams uniform.

Thread Information