Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: An early case for Steeler success in 2012

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Chuck's Place ChucktownSteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    4,007
    My Mood
    Addicted

    An early case for Steeler success in 2012

    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13389132275102

    Stumbled on to this article and really that the author hit the nail on the head. He made many great points and I especially like:

    My friend also doesn't understand the complimentary relationship between offense and defense. The new offense doesn't have to be that much better to place the team within championship territory. Maybe one touchdown this year when they had to settle for a field goal before, maybe one field goal when they had to punt before, maybe a few more first downs instead of a three and out. The extra points and rest could be enough to keep the defense at the top of the league standings even if there were something of a drop off in absolute terms. (My team had the top ranked defense in the league with a middle of the pack offense).

    Also caught my eye:

    The message is that competitive death comes to everyone, even to future Hall of Famers and Super Bowl MVPs. And if the grim reaper comes for Hines Ward or James Farrior or Aaron Smith then who the hell are you?

    and this:

    The fun part is that there is a belief building within Steeler Nation that something special is going on, very much like the feeling in the early 70s when folks knew that something was building but they couldn't put a finger on it since it hadn't reached concrete fruition yet. What's fun about it is that we're likely to be the only ones who are clued into what's unfolding in plain sight.

    Hope you enjoy the entire article, I found it a great read.

    C-town

  2. #2
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Some of this was brought home to me when I was watching the America's Game program on the '08 Steelers. Tomlin revealed himself to being a process person (as opposed to being event or game focused). He talked about wanting to "smell the roses". What flew over my head when I viewed this segment previously is how eerily similar his thinking is to Chuck Noll, and Vince Lombardi. These coaches all understood that there was no meaningful separation between the preparation for games and the games themselves. As such OTAs hold as much fascination and importance as the Super Bowl because in some respects in relation to the philosophy they are inseparable. It would appear that philosophy has also been effectively conveyed to his players.




    This is true about Tomlin, how many times have we seen him on the jumbotron at Heinz or in some special on TV where before the game he's just taking it all in, enjoying the moment. In his mind if he prepares accordingly then everything should fall into place on gameday.


    I like that logic but at the same time the Steelers inability to adjust last year cost them big time. Part of that was Arians' offense, part of it was injuries on defense. Last year the players just didn't have the horsepower to will themselves to wins like they did in the latest super bowl run. Perhaps this year with preparation and a healthy team, they can.

  3. #3
    Veteran connecticutsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    southern connecticut
    Posts
    2,705
    My Mood
    Manic
    Great post i think we will winn the north and advance to the super bowl this year our O-line is good enough right now considering we won with far less talented in the past

  4. #4
    Chuck's Place ChucktownSteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    4,007
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Some of this was brought home to me when I was watching the America's Game program on the '08 Steelers. Tomlin revealed himself to being a process person (as opposed to being event or game focused). He talked about wanting to "smell the roses". What flew over my head when I viewed this segment previously is how eerily similar his thinking is to Chuck Noll, and Vince Lombardi. These coaches all understood that there was no meaningful separation between the preparation for games and the games themselves. As such OTAs hold as much fascination and importance as the Super Bowl because in some respects in relation to the philosophy they are inseparable. It would appear that philosophy has also been effectively conveyed to his players.




    This is true about Tomlin, how many times have we seen him on the jumbotron at Heinz or in some special on TV where before the game he's just taking it all in, enjoying the moment. In his mind if he prepares accordingly then everything should fall into place on gameday.


    I like that logic but at the same time the Steelers inability to adjust last year cost them big time. Part of that was Arians' offense, part of it was injuries on defense. Last year the players just didn't have the horsepower to will themselves to wins like they did in the latest super bowl run. Perhaps this year with preparation and a healthy team, they can.
    I agree and I have analyzed last year ad nausea and I don't don't believe there is any rhyme nor reason to the season. Certainly injuries played a part, but even those should have been addressed and overcome better. BA is a favorite scapegoat, but I have never seen some many mistakes and turn-overs in the redzone by proven players such as Hines, Heath, and even the usual sure-handed Mewelde Moore. With the schedule last year, 14-2 should have been worst case record, and 15-1 and even 16-0 achievable.

    Well, as a famous cartoon character put it: "let's put the past behind us".

    I do agree as well Tomlin has more of Noll's coaching traits than did Cowher, not meaning to say one is better than the other.

    I am looking for a better season a head and hoisting #7 in February.

    C-town

  5. #5
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,616
    Well,

    When you look at the injuries,

    There were so many that even with adequete replacements, you lose the chemistry that you need. And chemistry is everything in football. That's what OTA"s/Camp is all about. Establishing that chemistry. But there wasn't an adequete off-season because of the lockout. That played a part in all this too.

    The injuries were just too devestating and at key positions too. I think we've added depth at some positions and I think with the chance of getting everyone on the same page..especially the young guys, we will be able to handle any and all injuries better. The one position I"m looking at where injuries could devestate us is at the safety position.

    We really need to have good back ups at that position. I wouldn't mind seeing a good safety taken in atlest the 3rd round by us.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

  6. #6
    2nd String BubbyBlister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    662
    Yes it is a great article and a good read and thanks for posting it I haven't been excited about a season like this one coming up in a long while and even knew the last Super Bowl win was going to be special season.

  7. #7
    Assistant Coach coldrolled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers Beach
    Posts
    6,058
    We were Fife and Drum last year at the end with Arians holding the burning flag....
    We barely beat the Browns.. We got wooped by the 9ers ...

    Tomlin knows he cant run his starters 4 qtrs for 16 games.. he said it a few weeks back and that will change this year.

  8. #8
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,802
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbyBlister View Post
    Yes it is a great article and a good read and thanks for posting it I haven't been excited about a season like this one coming up in a long while and even knew the last Super Bowl win was going to be special season.
    Dude your fn avatar is nasty!

  9. #9
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    We were Fife and Drum last year at the end with Arians holding the burning flag....
    We barely beat the Browns.. We got wooped by the 9ers ...

    Tomlin knows he cant run his starters 4 qtrs for 16 games.. he said it a few weeks back and that will change this year.

    It seems most every year we are excited at the personnel available on offense but never about BA. Now we have reason for hope with the personnel and Haley. That's good enough for me right now and let's hope we don't see the same old crap at the wrong times on offense. You've got enough talent to put up 40 points a game, so let's see it!

  10. #10
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ranclho Cucamonga,California
    Posts
    5,616
    I totally agree. It's time to put up points, and turn that defense loose after the QB!!
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is it too early to start talking 2012 Draft??
    By STEELyourface in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 08:52 AM
  2. Early Dementia in Former Steeler Linked to Football?
    By Hawk Believer in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •