Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on slogan contest.

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Addicted

Exclamation Update on slogan contest.

The slogan contest has been canceled due to some unforeseen circumstances. To be honest with everyone here the NFL sent me a letter requesting that I take the store down due to copyright issues. I called and spoke to the person who sent me the letter and worked everything out with them about the site itself and their biggest issue was the selling of products closely resembling the Steelers and their logo so I agreed to take the store down. The NFL encourages fan sites and doesn't mind the use of logos until the site goes "commercial". I've never really thought of this site as a commercial site and that was never my intent. I put the store up because it was a way for members to donate to the site while getting something back in return. And with what little money was actually made off the store I really never thought of it as commercial.....
    In all fairness to the NFL they do have a right to protect their trademarks and I'm not upset about this. We thought we had these issues covered to be honest. The person I talked to was very nice and told me I could call anytime with any questions in the future and they would be happy to help us out. We will still look to have other contests where you can win some cool prizes from us in the future so be on the lookout for them.
    I guess the good thing is the NFL knows about us now.....lol
    Again, sorry everyone. I will try and find another contest in the next couple of weeks that we could run that won't conflict with any copyrights and stuff.

At least I got mine and my sons shirts!!! They are collector items now

Hey man, I don't know if this would help, but if you got the site registered down as a non-profit organization would that help in being able to use "similar logos" without worry by the NFL that you are trying to infringe on their copyrighted logos or make money off of them without giving them their "dues" (although I would think an organization such as the NFL which makes millions per year wouldn't sweat an extra few bucks or so but I know that these days that doesn't seem to matter).

If you think there is a chance of being able to establish the site as a non-profit organization and that would help out just let me know. I know my dad was the treasurer of our church as well as a few other sports clubs and organizations and was able to get the organizations put as non-profit. Just trying to help.

Just out of curiosity, what did the old logo look like that looked too similar to the Steelers actual logo and how close can we get before it is going to get too similar to the NFL logo's. I ask again so hopefully I can help out with a new logo for the site.

BuFu

Quote Originally Posted by Hburg View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what did the old logo look like that looked too similar to the Steelers actual logo and how close can we get before it is going to get too similar to the NFL logo's. I ask again so hopefully I can help out with a new logo for the site.
    The logo that SF was using is similar to the image at the top of the page just minus the players and plate background. All it said was Steeler Addicts with the 3 grey hypocloids.

SA First Blitzburgh Blitzburgh55's Avatar
    Its cool the NFL even knows bout us

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ive always said the NFL marketing dept's keep tabs on team fan sights for everything from copyright stuff to just general fan input on the team. The sux if you ask me, but Im glad they know were alive and kickin.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    The logo that SF was using is similar to the image at the top of the page just minus the players and plate background. All it said was Steeler Addicts with the 3 grey hypocloids.
    How the hell is that similar to the actual Steelers logos? It's illegal now to use three hypocycloids? So now are they going to start keeping tabs on geometry class?

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Ive always said the NFL marketing dept's keep tabs on team fan sights for everything from copyright stuff to just general fan input on the team. The sux if you ask me, but Im glad they know were alive and kickin.
    Ok, well here's my input! YO NFL! STOP BEING SUCH TIGHT ASSES AND ALLOW SOME CREATIVITY AND FAN SUPPORT!!!

BuFu

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hburg View Post
    How the hell is that similar to the actual Steelers logos? It's illegal now to use three hypocycloids? So now are they going to start keeping tabs on geometry class?

Ok, well here's my input! YO NFL! STOP BEING SUCH TIGHT ASSES AND ALLOW SOME CREATIVITY AND FAN SUPPORT!!!

BuFu
    I agree, back on a site I used to be on the NFL got involved because the site's logo was REALLY close to the official Steelers logo and they had a cow. The No Fun League strikes again.

House of Steel
    I am sorry to hear this, Dan. I am glad you didn't get into a hussle with them like Mac and Wife did using the Steelers Logo to sell their damn products. They was about to file a lawsuit on the owner and his wife for selling Steelers Logo soap. They did get a small fine for it though. I hope everything gets back up and going soon. Well it is a lesson well learned. Damn the NFL.

Tha BEER Guy, Beer HEERRE
    I think that is a bunch of crap you have nothing (from the way it sounds that deals with the team. I call BS. The name of the team is "Pittsburgh SteelerS" not Steeler they want all the money

Thread Information