Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joke of an article - Around the NFL: Browns window of ending misery to Steelers could be opening

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Joke of an article - Around the NFL: Browns window of ending misery to Steelers could be opening

This guy deserves to be lined up and gunned down mercilessly by a firing squad.

Oh yeah we haven't had DeCasto, Spikes and others yet, what an idiot, I question why he was brought into this world, and now like the other thread (worst fans) cleveland must enter it.

What a dumb bunch of idiots.

If a team builds through the draft ... If the building superintendent has a clue ...

If Tom Heckert’s three offseasons of rounding up a new roster is to bear fruit ...

It’s just about time for the Browns to catch up to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It has been time.

On Sept. 17, 2000, rookie No. 1 overall pick Courtney Brown sacked Steelers quarterback Kent Graham on the last play of the game to seal a 23-20 Browns win.

Since then, Cleveland’s record in the Pittsburgh series is 2-22.

Some things are half past pathetic — 2-22 is much worse than that.

The concept of catching up to Pittsburgh began turning into a manifestation within the last half year.

On Dec. 8 at Pittsburgh, the Browns had a first-and-goal late in the fourth quarter, trailing 7-3.

On Jan. 1 in Cleveland, they led Pittsburgh 6-3 at halftime and lost 13-9.

Defeats, yes. But this wasn’t the same as getting their ears boxed on Christmas Eve, 2006, the day no Browns fans were left to see James Harrison spike a drunken fan who staggered across the field.

This wasn’t like Eric Mangini’s last hurrah, a 41-9 home shellacking Jan. 2, 2011.

Yes, there were extenuating circumstances behind the two close losses last season.

Pittsburgh’s Ben Roethlisberger played more than half of one game and all of the other one with a mangled ankle.

But then, Cleveland played all of both games without Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden and Mitchell Schwartz.

If Heckert is as good as Boss Holmgren says he is, the three high draft picks should make a quick difference.

Plus, the Steelers have some leaks:

• Their last game was a playoff loss at Denver.

• Linebacker James Farrior, a mainstay on the defense for years, has been cut.

• Harrison, 34, Casey Hampton, 34, Brett Keisel, 33, Ike Taylor, 32, Ryan Clark, 32, Larry Foote, 31, and Troy Polamalu, 31, are projected starters on an aging defense.

• Running back Rashard Mendenhall might lose 2012 to a knee injury.

• Roethlisberger’s new blind-side protector, Mike Adams, enters the league amid checkered reviews that made him available late in Round 2.

• Whereas Pittsburgh was one of those established teams that could get by without a 2011 offseason, developing teams such as Cleveland won’t be crippled by a lockout in 2012.

THE DRAFT LINEUP

If a team builds through the draft, and the building superintendent has a clue ...

Picking higher in drafts should make a difference.

The overall draft position of the Browns’ projected starters on offense and the Steelers’ projected starters on defense (by original overall draft position; asterisk denotes a Heckert acquisition):

No. 3: Browns LT Joe Thomas

No. 3: Browns RB Trent Richardson*

No. 16: Steelers SS Troy Polamalu

No. 15: Steelers ILB Lawrence Timmons

No. 19: Steelers NT Casey Hampton

No. 21: Browns C Alex Mack

No. 22: Browns QB Brandon Weeden*

No. 32: Browns TE Ben Watson*

No. 32: Steelers DE Ziggy Hood

No. 37: Browns RT Mitchell Schwartz*

No. 46: Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley

No. 50: Browns WR Mohamed Massaquoi

No. 59: Browns WR Greg Little*

No. 92: Browns RG Shawn Lauvao*

No. 96: Steelers CB Keenan Lewis

No. 124: Browns FB Owen Marecic*

No. 125: Steelers CB Ike Taylor

No. 128: Steelers ILB Larry Foote

No. 150: Browns LG Jason Pinkston*

No. 242: Steelers DE Brett Keisel

Undrafted: Steelers OLB James Harrison

Undrafted: Steelers FS Ryan Clark

Push the button on the calculator: Of the 14 highest picks, nine are Browns; five are Steelers.

FLIPPING THE ORDER

Let’s do the same exercise the other way around.

The original draft position of the projected Browns’ starting defense and Pittsburgh’s No. 1 offense (asterisk denotes a player acquired by Heckert):

No. 7: Browns CB Joe Haden*

No. 11: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger

No. 18: Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey

No. 24: Steelers RG David DeCastro

No. 30: Steelers TE Heath Miller

No. 34: Browns LB D’Qwell Jackson

No. 37: Browns DE Jabaal Sheard*

No. 38: Browns SS T.J. Ward*

No. 56: Steelers LT Mike Adams

No. 59: Browns CB Sheldon Brown*

No. 63: Steelers RT Marcus Gilbert

No. 66: Browns FS Usama Young*

No. 71: Browns OLB Chris Gocong*

No. 84: Steelers WR Mike Wallace

No. 87: Browns DT John Hughes*

No. 91: Browns DE Frostee Rucker*

No. 120: Browns OLB James-Michael Johnson*

No. 131: Steelers LG Willie Colon

No. 190: Browns DT Ahtyba Rubin

No. 195: Steelers WR Antonio Brown

No. 241: Steelers FB David Johnson

Undrafted: Steelers RB Isaac Redman

WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

In the case of the defense, the Steelers own four of the five highest picks, most notably Roethlisberger.

Yet, Pittsburgh also has four of the five lowest picks, including the non-pick, Redman, who is a candidate to carry the ball while Rashard Mendenhall’s knee heals.

Obviously, the Browns won’t get very far rolling up their depth chart into a spit wad and throwing it toward Heinz Field.

On the other hand, more and more, Tom Heckert’s picks are showing up at the top of the roster. And there is a certain level of enthusiasm building as to what they might do as they grow up together.

Losing 2011 No. 21 overall pick Phil Taylor hurts the Browns more than losing 2008 No. 23 overall pick Rashard Mendenhall hurts Pittsburgh.

The scouting types question whether Mendenhall even has a future with the Steelers.

Taylor is squarely in the middle of the Browns blueprint for 2013 and ’14.

Fewer Heckert draft picks than one might think — 11 — are projected 2012 starters.

Even an aggressive general manager who moves like a tidal wave can rock the boat only so much in three years.

On the other hand, counting trades and free agency pick-ups, 17 of the 22 projected starters are Heckert acquisitions.

That’s some serious rocking.
    Last edited by scudmissile29; 06-03-2012 at 11:39 AM.

After reading this it is clear that the browns will be AFC north champions next season! :P

My Mood
    Addicted
    All hail the Browns!

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I have to hand it to Brownie fans, they are eternally optomistic.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

My Mood
    Addicted
    oh no...the browns have Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden and Mitchell Schwartz!!!!!!!

run up the white flag coach T. how can we contend with that vaunted trio. why brandon weeden alone is enough to give steelers players/coaches/fans sleepless nights.

oh well, it's time to take a page out of the browns' fans' playbook...there's always next year.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Addicted
    Who the f**K is Mitchell Schwartz?

Brandon Weeden is a year younger than Ben.

Trent Richardson is a good back, but I don't think I would have used the #3 pick in round 1 on a RB.

C-town

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Browns are clearly the worst team in the division.....They have some nice young players but they're clearly years away from competing for the division crown......

My Mood
    Ornery
    Damn it's good to be a Steeler fan!!!
    The Tradition Continues!!!

With all the 1st round picks and second round picks. the Browns and Bengals should be catching up ....

But, we have been holding most of our players and filling in holes each draft year building depth.

The Bengals and Browns have lost a lot of top picks over the past few years.

Did this idiot really try to say that having more high draft picks equals more talent? Only an idiot franchise (see Cleveland) would draft Weeden with a first round pick.

Give me Troy Polamalu over ANY of the high end draft picks the Browns have taken recently. I'm sure James Harrison is worthless because he was an undrafted FA right?

Morons drinking the Browns Kool-aid
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

Thread Information