Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ike Taylor talks about Wallace contract situation

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ike Taylor talks about Wallace contract situation

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace hasn’t spoken publicly about his contract situation in the past four months.

The same can’t be said about cornerback Ike Taylor after spending the Memorial Day weekend in Las Vegas with his teammate.

Taylor said during his weekly show on TribLive Radio on Tuesday that Wallace is frustrated with contract negotiations and he wants to be at offseason practices but also wants what he believes he is due.

“There is a lot of frustration with Mike right now,” Taylor said. “He wants to be here. ... But at the same time he wants his paper.

“Mike feels like he outperformed his last contract. But he’s dealing with a monster, and that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers … they are not going to let you dictate to them on how you feel.”

Wallace has yet to sign his first-round restricted free agent tender that would guarantee him a $2.16 million raise for this season, bringing his salary to $2.742 million. He missed the fourth consecutive voluntary practice yesterday and isn’t expected to attend offseason workouts, including mandatory minicamp next month.

Wallace could not be reached for comment.

Taylor said he told Wallace he would like to see him show up at the practice facility mostly because new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system is being installed.

Wallace is seeking a long-term extension. He reportedly was looking for Larry Fitzgerald-type money — $120 million over eight years. He has until June 15 to sign his tender before the Steelers could reduce their offer to 110 percent of his $580,000 salary last year. Wallace also could hold out until Nov. 12 and still be credited with an accrued season, making him an unrestricted free agent next year.

“Mike is going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for years to come,” Taylor said. “(But I told him), at the end of the day: Football doesn’t need you; you need football.”

From the Pittsburgh Tribune Review

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

Ike on Wallace Situation

This is from Mark Kaboly at the Trib. He is using quotes from Ike Taylor who did his radio show yesterday.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...-football-free

By Mark Kaboly
    Tribune-Review

Steelers receiver Mike Wallace hasn’t spoken publicly about his contract situation in the past four months.
    The same can’t be said about cornerback Ike Taylor after spending the Memorial Day weekend in Las Vegas with his teammate.
    Taylor said during his weekly show on TribLive Radio on Tuesday that Wallace is frustrated with contract negotiations and he wants to be at offseason practices but also wants what he believes he is due.
    “There is a lot of frustration with Mike right now,” Taylor said. “He wants to be here. ... But at the same time he wants his paper.
    “Mike feels like he outperformed his last contract. But he’s dealing with a monster, and that’s the Pittsburgh Steelers … they are not going to let you dictate to them on how you feel.”
    Wallace has yet to sign his first-round restricted free agent tender that would guarantee him a $2.16 million raise for this season, bringing his salary to $2.742 million. He missed the fourth consecutive voluntary practice yesterday and isn’t expected to attend offseason workouts, including mandatory minicamp next month.
    Wallace could not be reached for comment.
    Taylor said he told Wallace he would like to see him show up at the practice facility mostly because new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system is being installed.
    Wallace is seeking a long-term extension. He reportedly was looking for Larry Fitzgerald-type money — $120 million over eight years. He has until June 15 to sign his tender before the Steelers could reduce their offer to 110 percent of his $580,000 salary last year. Wallace also could hold out until Nov. 12 and still be credited with an accrued season, making him an unrestricted free agent next year.
    “Mike is going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler for years to come,” Taylor said. “(But I told him), at the end of the day: Football doesn’t need you; you need football.”

Published: Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 7:22 p.m.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Clowns
    I'm so tired of hearing about Mike Wallace I could just vomit! "Oh I want to be in camp but I have to get my money" BS!! Just get to camp and learn the offense, you'll get your payday when the time comes already!

Quote Originally Posted by CowherPower View Post
    I'm so tired of hearing about Mike Wallace I could just vomit! "Oh I want to be in camp but I have to get my money" BS!! Just get to camp and learn the offense, you'll get your payday when the time comes already!
    i just dont get where we get off thinking this is how it works, its how we would like it to work but thats just not the way business is done.

kudos to woodley for handling his contract the way he did, but hes an exception definitely not the rule

So Ike is now his agent?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think when you play for the Steelers, you have to know how it works. They just don't give out new deals before the draft or just after it, very often. They prefer to wait until training camp to get that stuff done.

How he doesn't realize that or why he can't wait is beyond me.

My Mood
    Manic
    Anyone with Wallace's skills would do the same thing and if they say other wise there are A STUPID OR B NOT AGOOD BUSINESS PERSON

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Those tactics don't work with organazations like the Steelers. And Wallace has been here long enough to know that.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's not the fact that he doesn't deserve a new deal, of course he does. His long term upside is through the roof. I'm just completely sick of hearing about it. Besides, multiple teammates have told him to get his butt to camp and let the money take care of itself but he still refuses to show up. Missing a few OTA's is not the end of the world but you'd like to see him in there working out with the guys getting the gameplan down.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    So Ike is now his agent?
    If not he should be. Ike is 100% correct that football doesn't Mike Wallace and Wallace would be wise to heed that advise.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Thread Information