Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kordell Stewart wants to retire as a Steeler

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Kordell Stewart wants to retire as a Steeler

Just browsing through Steelers insider Ed Bouchette's blog and came across this tidbit, also announced via twitter in his morning links segment...This is part of his paid blog so I won't post up the entire article but here is the link.

--- Kordell Stewart will attend Steelers practice today and I'm told will have some kind of announcement. Here's a guess: He will "retire a Steeler.'' With all due respect to these guys who do this, it's a little hokey.

Years ago Mike Tomczak asked the Steelers if they would sign him to a one-day contract so he could "retire a Steeler.'' The Steelers declined, but offered him the press room at St. Vincent College during training camp to announce he would "retire a Steeler.'' Colbert told me that to sign him to a one-day contract would mess up their salary cap. He did not laugh when he said that.

Others around the league have done this as well and some actually did sign a one-day contract. The only other Steelers player I can remember making such an announcement at the team's facility was former tackle John Jackson years ago. He did not sign a one-day contract and neither, I suspect, will Stewart.

Stewart did not leave the Steelers voluntarily. He was basically shown the door. I thought he was treated shabbily by the former coaching staff at the height of his effectiveness, getting benched a few games into the 2002 season – his last here -- after he made the Pro Bowl in 2001 and was voted the team's MVP.

Stewart was and is a good person who did not deserve the sometimes vile treatment he received from some fans while he was playing for the Steelers. I have no idea why he now wants to "retire a Steeler,'' if my guess is correct. He will always be considered a Steeler because that is where he made his mark in the NFL, helping the team to an AFC championship game at home in 1997 and some good quarterback play, even if others do not want to remember that.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I wonder if he'll want his #10 retired? If this is even the case, that he wants to retire a Steeler, I'd be curious to see if the team allows him to have a press conference.

My Mood
    Addicted
    is this a joke? or is kordell the joke?
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Fine
    I was a fan of Kordell Stewart and he helped get us to a couple AFC championships as Slash or The QB. He never got the respect he earned. I dont know why he's waited this long to retire or why we need a press conference because he hadn't played for years.
    James Farrior is looking to retire and thats something to Honor and I'd wish Aaron Smith(it's not his style) would do the same and on the same day.
    JAmes Farrior & Aaron Smith STEELERS FOR LIFE.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's official, he was in Pittsburgh today to retire a Steeler

One of the most popular yet polarizing local sports figures of the 1990's and early 2000's, Kordell Stewart returned to Pittsburgh today to "retire" as a Steeler, nearly a decade after he last played for the team.

A second round draft pick in 1995, Stewart played eight seasons in Pittsburgh. He rose to fame during his first two seasons when he saw game action as a wide receiver, a quarterback, a running back and even a punter, earning him the nickname "Slash."
    He became the team's starting quarterback in 1997, leading the team to the AFC Championship. In 2001, he was the AFC Offensive Player of the Year, the team MVP and a Pro Bowl selection.

Stewart also was a target of rumors about his personal life and, according to him, death threats during seasons in which he struggled.

Of returning to Pittsburgh today for his "retirement," Stewart said: "It's not closure in a negative way, it's closure in a positive way ... I had a great time doing it. It's about the experience."

After leaving the Steelers, Stewart signed as a free-agent with Chicago in 2003 and played a season there before finishing his career with two seasons as a member of the Baltimore Ravens. He has since worked as an NFL analyst on ESPN. He resides in Atlanta with his wife and son.Former quarterback Mike Tomczak and tackle John Jackson also returned to "retire" as Steelers years after their playing careers ended.

From Dan Gigler, PG

I don't understand, in my mind he retired years ago as a Raven.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    This is a joke. The clown has been retired. In that period, all he brought was dissapointment and embarrasement. That is a period I'd like to forget.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    97 and 01 AFC title losses were big disappointments and I still don't forgive Kordell for them....lol Don't get me wrong he didn't lose those games himself....It was team effort in both losses but Kordell did play poorly in both losses......Still remember Romanowski taunting Kordell after an INT against the Broncos.....lol

Kordell was a terrible quarterback and only had some value as a gimmick. Yes he had occaisional flashes of brilliance as a quarterback but overall he stunk. The Steelers made it to the playoffs on a strong running game and stellar defense. Anytime they went up against a better QB they lost. That's not a coincidence.

I tried to support him as much as I could when he was "our" QB but even at my homer best I never thought he was a good QB.

Like someone else said, those are times I'd rather forget as a Steeler fan.
    Host of Power Pregame and Panther Primer on TribLive Radio
    Contributing Writer for Pittsburgh Sporting News
    Owner of "The Voice Says...." Blog
    Follow me on Twitter: @SteelCityVoice
    "Like" My Sports Page on Facebook

My Mood
    Addicted
    Is it really retirement or is it hey no one wants me? I saw this on Twitter and thought it was a joke.

Thread Information