Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Steelers game that you remember watching?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Question First Steelers game that you remember watching?

For some of you old timers the first game you remember might be in the 60's or 70's, for the younger generation it might be a game in the 80's or even 90's.

I remember the first time I saw them play was in the playoffs leading up to the Rams Super Win in SB XIV. I was still young but I remember seeing these larger than life legendary names (to us now) wearing black and gold like it was yesterday.

I was hooked ever since then but one of the things that initially drove me to become a Steelers fan was just how hard these guys played and the intimidation factor they carried with them every game.

There was a time where Shiner was the QB, but i dont remember those games vividly. Sideburns and Hanratty in 1969... But really when your not winning championships and sb's or many games at all, you dont remember those days, you really try to forget. My favorite from back in the day was Earl Campbell and the media saying he was unstoppable.. Until the Steelers / Houston games were over then the media would hide for a week after earl would get under 50 yards.. Those were some great playoff games.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Rams super bowl was the first time I can remember actually watching a game as a kid. I know I watched before that, according to my parents, but that's the first one I actually remember. I thought they had cool uniforms and that Mean Joe was just the toughest guy ever!

My Mood
    Mellow
    i can remember super bowl X because we were all at my parents' friends' house having a big party. those were the years where i thought the steelers never lost. i remember a game that we didn't get to watch and found out they had lost to the rams and i asked my dad how did that happen? the steelers aren't supposed to lose? he laughed and said, you can't win 'em all, but they win most of them.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm sure I watched games when I was even younger but the one game that I really remember was the 89 play-off loss to the Broncos in Denver........I was 10 years old and that game was really when I started to get into football......I was more into baseball when I was that young.....Now 1992 (Cowhers first year) I was 13 and football became my favorite sport.....Ever since then the Steelers have trumped the Pirates for me....But I will say this I want a Pirates World Series win more then a Steelers Super Bowl win right now...lol I have seen the Steelers win it all twice......I just would love to see the Pirates good again....lol

The 1993 AFC Wild Card Playoff at Kansas City. The Steelers lost in overtime.

I remember before the game started, Salt-N-Pepa rewrote the lyrics to "Whatta Man," with Salt wearing a Chiefs shirt and rapping a verse about Joe Montana, and Pepa wearing a Steelers shirt and rapping a verse about Bill Cowher.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    I don't have a friggin' clue. It seems like I've always been watching them. Dad bled Black & Gold and he passed that on to me. My first game was probably pre-Noll. The first one I ever attended was in Cowher's rookie year. It was against the Bengal's at Three Rivers. I remember seeing the field in person for the first time felt almost like a religious experience.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    There was a time where Shiner was the QB, but i dont remember those games vividly. Sideburns and Hanratty in 1969... But really when your not winning championships and sb's or many games at all, you dont remember those days, you really try to forget. My favorite from back in the day was Earl Campbell and the media saying he was unstoppable.. Until the Steelers / Houston games were over then the media would hide for a week after earl would get under 50 yards.. Those were some great playoff games.
    Who
    could forget Dick Shiner.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Steelers VS Clowns errrr Browns in 72, in the old municipal stadium, i've been hooked every since...

Super Bowl XIII.

Thread Information