Thread: Last Steelers pro bowl corner; 15 years and counting

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Last Steelers pro bowl corner; 15 years and counting

Keenan Lewis made the bold prediction that he looking to make the pro bowl this season. Now the pro bowl might not even happen but they'll still elect a pro bowl team even if they don't play.

Either way it's a bold prediction from a guy who's in a battle for the starting job. I don't know why exactly but I'm really pulling for him. He's been in some trouble but last year took some big steps towards what is hopefully a bright future.

I'd love to see a defender from the Steelers in the pro bowl, that is a cornerback. Although if Lewis makes it then Ike Taylor better make it too; which presents a rather interesting scenario to look forward too.

From the Post Gazette:
    Perhaps Keenan Lewis got ahead of himself on just the third day of spring practice for the Steelers. He has yet to win the starting job at left cornerback and has two second-year players nipping at his heels.

It did not prevent him from making a bold prediction, and he did so by blowing right past the idea that anyone other than him would be the starting left cornerback.

"Pro Bowl," Lewis predicted for himself this season. "Watch out, this is going to be a big year right here."
    Reaching his goal would be a surprise in more ways than one, including the fact that the Steelers have not had an official Pro Bowl cornerback since Rod Woodson in the 1996 season, although an asterisk should be put on that one.

Lewis, in fact, was on the right track when he answered that trivia question: "Coach Lake?"
    Indeed, Steelers secondary coach Carnell Lake split time between strong safety and cornerback in 1997 and was voted to the Pro Bowl as a safety.

Either way, the Steelers have not had a Pro Bowl cornerback for 15 years. Some of his teammates believe Ike Taylor should have made it, but he hasn't.

Lewis has the size (6 feet, 208 pounds) and talent to do so, but first he'll have to win that starting job after two years of mostly special teams play and then his move up to cornerback in the nickel defense last season.
    He said Lake has been working to help him improve, and most of that involves learning, ironic because Lewis was a four-time academic All-Pac 10 at Oregon State.

"I'm trying to find things I need to work on from last year," said Lewis, who added he wants to become "more a student of the game.
    "'I have all the athletic ability and things like that, just knowing things better will make me a step faster."

My Mood
    Manic
    I hope he does make it cause that would increase our chances at #7

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Rod Woodson, man what a great player he was, so versatile.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

My Mood
    Fight
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I hope he does make it cause that would increase our chances at #7
    What he said!!!!!!! Whoever is the better CB IDK, I just think he would make a better safety, size to tackle and enough cover skills to make a poor mans C. Lake.

Matter of fact has anyone heard any progress on Brown as #2 CB
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Cortez Allen has been running with the first team nickle in OTA's so far and based on his play last year in the dime he's probably got the inside track along with Lewis who was the starter in the nickle last year. Right now I would think it's probably a shoot out between those 2 but don't count out Brown, the 2nd round pick from last year. Being that high of a pick you would expect him to contend for a starting job sooner rather than later. Right now I would that it's a total shootout between those three and let the best man win the job.

Just glad not to having the debates of McFadden v Gay and LeGurskey v Foster anymore.......future's bright.

Veteran
    Individual stats are meaningless. There has been 1 SuperBowl played since our last appearance and 3 since our last win. Any other stat is meaningless.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Ike should have had a few by now, lack of Ints. hurt his cause.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    One of these years Ike is going to break out and have a big year for interceptions and finally get that elusive pro bowl nod he wants. He may not openly complain about it but you know it bothers him, the dude does everything that is asked of him and can't even get an alternate nod when someone bails due to injury.

Thread Information