Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why all the love for Haley?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's a fresh start, that's a big thing. BA's offensive game plans were predictable and stale. His redzone play calling was beyond inefficient and he never placed a premium on working with the offensive line. It was always, get me this weapon and that weapon, well he had the weapons but nobody to protect Ben.

Haley's offenses adapt to the talent on the team. If it has a strong running game, he'll utilize it. If they have a strong passing game, same thing. This is the first time in his career that he's got talent and balance on the offense so I'm excited to see what he can do.

That being said, I wasn't too keen on the hiring at first because of his reputation as a hot head, but the Steelers run their organization so that they surround themselves with quality at every position possible. It's a team first attitude and I Haley can take that passion and channel it into a great gameplan.......I hope.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
    For me it's just this ... I got tired of all the BA bashing ... BA would get bashed after a game where Hines and Heath both dropped passes inside the red zone ... HINES and HEATH!!!!! ... both sure handed pass catchers! ...

I got tired of all the BA hate!

Now it's put up or shut up for Steelers fans ... they got rid of their scapegoat ... now let's see how much bashing happens to Haley ...

Steelers fans expect success on every play ... on every drive ... in every situation ... it's way too rediculously high around here when it comes to expectations ...

Arians had two 1,000 yard WR's in the same season TWICE! ... and it was entirely different sets both times! ... in just 6 seasons! ...

I got so sick of the BA bashing that I was relieved that BA was let go ... even though I liked what his offense was doing ... we had open WR's all over the field on any given drive under BA ... his WR's were aggressive blockers too ...

Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace are NFL stars because of the plays they made in BA's playbook ...

Ben and Santonio won a Super Bowl on a drive that Santonio was the entire offense ... and they weren't drawing those plays in the huddle dirt ... those plays were BA plays from BA's playbook! ...

Arians had his faults ... but innovation and passing attack weren't part of them! ...

Haley will be praised to Kingdom Come if he re-established smash mouthed 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football in Pittsburgh ... even if Big Ben reverts back to throwing it 38% of the time while we are running it 62% ... because that's what the Steelers fans love! ...

As for me ... I hope Halians throws it 65% of the time ... because that's our strength now and THAT's the NFL! ...
    All of those things are nice but how many points did they score? From 20-20, BA was fantastic and I too believe that he received a lot of criticism that was unfair. For instance, the WR bubble screen was a very successful play for the offense though you hear nothing but condemnation for it (Hint to the haters: It is used as a running play and 4 yards is successful.). However, their ability to score points was far below their ability to rack up yards and the talent on the field. Heath Miller had 2 touchdowns in 2010 and another 2 in 2011. TWO! The guy is a HUGE red zone threat and was virtually ignored in the RZ. The guy should be putting up Gronk type numbers (maybe an overstatement, but not by much).

I would love to see and compare the touchdown percentages of first and goal inside the 5 for the Steelers, Packers, Patriots, even the despicable Ravens. We would not even be close. I puke in my mouth a little at the thought of another 20 yard field goal.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I use to say all the time that poor execution by the players on offense were a factor to and that isn't BA's fault......But the Steelers were inconsistent in the red zone and really should have scored more with the talent they had offense....That is why BA is gone.....As for Haley if he turns the Steelers offense into a running offense I hope he is fired quick......Its a passing league and the Steelers have the talent on offense to throw the ball....I'm sure Haley realizes that.....
    Here's the thing, our redzone problems go back to long before Arians was the OC.

2003: 50%, 2004: 49.23%, 2005: 62.5%, 2006: 50%, 2007: 59.32%, 2008: 55.93%, 2009: 48.21%, 2010: 52.46%

I saw on another forum where someone broke down our redzone offense over the year and also into 4 game sets. In games 1-4 we were awful in the redzone, games 5-8 and 9-12 we were outstanding, and then 13-16 were back to awful.
    Last edited by strummerfan; 05-28-2012 at 02:29 PM.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    and [Arians] never placed a premium on working with the offensive line. It was always, get me this weapon and that weapon, well he had the weapons but nobody to protect Ben.
    With all due respect, we have no way of knowing this. Unless you have access to Steelers' practices, we do not know if he worked with the OL more, less, or the same as your average OC. We also do not know what he had as his draft priorities. He did not fill out the cards and send them to the commish every April.

As a global statement to everyone posting, we need to remember that comparisons between the two OCs will be done continuously but will also be unfair to a degree. The 2012 offense will be different than the 2011 offense. For instance, if Decastro, Gilbert, and Adams grow into the beasts we would like very early in the season, it will be unfair to use it as a hammer against BA, who was forced to have Kemo, an injured Pouncey, a rookie Gilbert, etc.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    Here's the thing, our redzone problems go back to long before Arians was the OC.

2003: 50%, 2004: 49.23%, 2005: 62.5%, 2006: 50%, 2007: 59.32%, 2008: 55.93%, 2009: 48.21%, 2010: 52.46%
    And part of an OC's job is to fix that. For whatever reason, BA did not. It is not all his fault, but he is far from blameless as well.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    It's a fresh start, that's a big thing. BA's offensive game plans were predictable and stale. His redzone play calling was beyond inefficient and he never placed a premium on working with the offensive line. It was always, get me this weapon and that weapon, well he had the weapons but nobody to protect Ben.

Haley's offenses adapt to the talent on the team. If it has a strong running game, he'll utilize it. If they have a strong passing game, same thing. This is the first time in his career that he's got talent and balance on the offense so I'm excited to see what he can do.

That being said, I wasn't too keen on the hiring at first because of his reputation as a hot head, but the Steelers run their organization so that they surround themselves with quality at every position possible. It's a team first attitude and I Haley can take that passion and channel it into a great gameplan.......I hope.
    In BA's defense he didn't have talents like DeCastro and Adams just fall into his lap on draft day....The Steelers usually picking at the end of the first round missed on the top OL talent......

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post

I saw on another forum where someone broke down our redzone offense over the year and also into 4 game sets. In games 1-4 we were awful in the redzone, games 5-8 and 9-12 we were outstanding, and then 13-16 were back to awful.
    The Steelers offense didn't even average 21 points a game last year....With the talent on offense that is a joke.......I didn't hate BA like most in Stiller Nation....Some things I thought he was very good at as OC......But I do think his play-calling was stale at times and to predictable......

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Lets remember that while BA may not have been OC in his years prior to his assuming that position, the offense was still very much the same.

Also with Haley... Kurt Warner was given up for dead before he played for Haley. Imagine the possibilities with Ben...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Addicted
    My fear with Haley is he will use this as a stepping stone back to a HC position. Nothing wrong with that, but if he is here in 3 years I would be surprised. Hate to see us move forward, only to move back again.

I like to promote from within and thought Randy Fitchner should have gotten the job. Who knows, if and when Haley is offered a HC position, Fitchner my be the next OC.

C-town

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    My fear with Haley is he will use this as a stepping stone back to a HC position. Nothing wrong with that, but if he is here in 3 years I would be surprised. Hate to see us move forward, only to move back again.

I like to promote from within and thought Randy Fitchner should have gotten the job. Who knows, if and when Haley is offered a HC position, Fitchner my be the next OC.

C-town
    Yea that is the fear I have that he might not be here long after he shows success with the Steelers. Being a hometown boy and this being a dream for him though makes me think he will stay for awhile and enjoy the ride.

Thread Information