Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why all the love for Haley?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    it's just homerism at it's finest. His track record as an OC is actually pretty small. He was the OC in Arizona for two years, but he ran Whiz's offense and didn't call plays. In 2008 he called the plays, but it was Whiz's offensive scheme. He called the plays for one year in KC, but it was Kevin Gilbride's offense. The following year Charlie Weiss was the OC and called the plays.
    So he had nothing to do with the plays as an OC because of the Head Coach, and he also had nothing to do with the plays as a HC because of the Offensive Coordinator??

Seems like quite a reach to assume both scenarios are true.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by tburg68 View Post
    So he had nothing to do with the plays as an OC because of the Head Coach, and he also had nothing to do with the plays as a HC because of the Offensive Coordinator??

Seems like quite a reach to assume both scenarios are true.
    Not really. It's far more likely that Whiz installed his offense and called the plays until he trusted his rookie OC than letting a rookie oc install an offense and then call the plays for him. Do you actually have any input about the topic?
    Last edited by strummerfan; 05-28-2012 at 11:39 AM.

I've seen him called a master, genius blah blah blah, but I honestly think it's just homerism at it's finest. His track record as an OC is actually pretty small. He was the OC in Arizona for two years, but he ran Whiz's offense and didn't call plays for the majority of 2007. In 2008 he called the plays, but it was Whiz's offensive scheme. He called the plays for one year in KC, but it was Kevin Gilbride's offense. The following year Charlie Weiss was the OC and called the plays. Basically he's got two whole seasons as an OC where he called the plays, but both of those were utilizing someone else's system. Don't get me wrong I want him to succeed, just not so sure he's everything some Steeler fans make him out to be.
    its more about him being impressive wherever hes been. he turned terry glenn into a pro bowler in dallas, they raved about him as WR coach and how he really brought out the best in their game....that got him the gig in AZ, where he used the elite talent at WR and kurt warners quick release to make a historically good passing attack, which made sense considering how terrible their personnel was for a run game. then in KC he called the plays his first year and turned jamaal charles into a pro bowler by making KCs ground game dominant...he had a rough go in his last year at KC. Berry, Moeaki, Charles all go hurt (all probably their best players) and even his painfully average QB got hurt. Pioli probably shouldnt have fired him, but whatever hes got a lot of talent to work with here, theres legit reason to be excited....espcially since we as fans cite poor play calling and game planning as the reason to holding them back, and its legit...arians was truly terrible and winning a superbowl with him calling the shots makes me wonder how good they could have been the last few years if they werent so stubborn about keeping arians.

genius and master might be premature, but hes very sound and understands the game

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    its more about him being impressive wherever hes been. he turned terry glenn into a pro bowler in dallas, they raved about him as WR coach and how he really brought out the best in their game....that got him the gig in AZ, where he used the elite talent at WR and kurt warners quick release to make a historically good passing attack, which made sense considering how terrible their personnel was for a run game. then in KC he called the plays his first year and turned jamaal charles into a pro bowler by making KCs ground game dominant...he had a rough go in his last year at KC. Berry, Moeaki, Charles all go hurt (all probably their best players) and even his painfully average QB got hurt. Pioli probably shouldnt have fired him, but whatever hes got a lot of talent to work with here, theres legit reason to be excited....espcially since we as fans cite poor play calling and game planning as the reason to holding them back, and its legit...arians was truly terrible and winning a superbowl with him calling the shots makes me wonder how good they could have been the last few years if they werent so stubborn about keeping arians.

genius and master might be premature, but hes very sound and understands the game

Terry Glenn Was rookie of the YEar with the Pats in 1996 I don't htink you can say Haley developed him during his time in Dallas.
    Dominant?Really? 11th in the league,4.4 yd per carry, 18points a game

Fans cite poor play calling, but don't know if the initial play called was actually run.
    Last edited by strummerfan; 05-28-2012 at 12:04 PM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Terry Glenn Was rookie of the YEar with the Pats in 1996 I don't htink you can say Haley developed him during his time in Dallas.

Fans cite poor play calling, but don't know if the initial play called was actually run.
    Glenn only had two 1,000 yard seasons with the Pats and two in four years with the Cowboys........He also set career highs in yards per catch and TD's in 2005 with the Cowboys...So its safe to say Todd Haley did have some kind of impact on Terry Glenn while with the Cowboys.......

its more about his body of work in working with less than spectacular talent in dallas, AZ, and KC...he maximized the talent on some bad teams, theres reason to be excited about what he can do with some talent on a good team

My Mood
    Mad
    What I like about Todd Haley he seems to work to the strengths of the talent he has......In AZ the talent centered around the passing game and the Cards were a top passing team....While with the Chiefs he had Thomas Jones/Jamaal Charles so he ran the ball.......

Its a shame Mendenhall is coming off an ACL tear I could see Haley really turn Mendenhall in the RB he should have been instead of being wasted under BA......Mendenhall has the talent to be a very good weapon in the passing game and I do think Haley would have used Mendenhall in the passing game......Hopefully Mendenhall has a quick recovery......I could see Mendenhall as a monster in a Todd Haley offense.....

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
    I Am not excited over Haley per se, but a change is nice. Especially since things seemed so stale.
    For me it's just this ... I got tired of all the BA bashing ... BA would get bashed after a game where Hines and Heath both dropped passes inside the red zone ... HINES and HEATH!!!!! ... both sure handed pass catchers! ...

I got tired of all the BA hate!

Now it's put up or shut up for Steelers fans ... they got rid of their scapegoat ... now let's see how much bashing happens to Haley ...

Steelers fans expect success on every play ... on every drive ... in every situation ... it's way too rediculously high around here when it comes to expectations ...

Arians had two 1,000 yard WR's in the same season TWICE! ... and it was entirely different sets both times! ... in just 6 seasons! ...

I got so sick of the BA bashing that I was relieved that BA was let go ... even though I liked what his offense was doing ... we had open WR's all over the field on any given drive under BA ... his WR's were aggressive blockers too ...

Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace are NFL stars because of the plays they made in BA's playbook ...

Ben and Santonio won a Super Bowl on a drive that Santonio was the entire offense ... and they weren't drawing those plays in the huddle dirt ... those plays were BA plays from BA's playbook! ...

Arians had his faults ... but innovation and passing attack weren't part of them! ...

Haley will be praised to Kingdom Come if he re-established smash mouthed 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football in Pittsburgh ... even if Big Ben reverts back to throwing it 38% of the time while we are running it 62% ... because that's what the Steelers fans love! ...

As for me ... I hope Halians throws it 65% of the time ... because that's our strength now and THAT's the NFL! ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
    For me it's just this ... I got tired of all the BA bashing ... BA would get bashed after a game where Hines and Heath both dropped passes inside the red zone ... HINES and HEATH!!!!! ... both sure handed pass catchers! ...

I got tired of all the BA hate!

Now it's put up or shut up for Steelers fans ... they got rid of their scapegoat ... now let's see how much bashing happens to Haley ...

Steelers fans expect success on every play ... on every drive ... in every situation ... it's way too rediculously high around here when it comes to expectations ...

Arians had two 1,000 yard WR's in the same season TWICE! ... and it was entirely different sets both times! ... in just 6 seasons! ...

I got so sick of the BA bashing that I was relieved that BA was let go ... even though I liked what his offense was doing ... we had open WR's all over the field on any given drive under BA ... his WR's were aggressive blockers too ...

Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace are NFL stars because of the plays they made in BA's playbook ...

Ben and Santonio won a Super Bowl on a drive that Santonio was the entire offense ... and they weren't drawing those plays in the huddle dirt ... those plays were BA plays from BA's playbook! ...

Arians had his faults ... but innovation and passing attack weren't part of them! ...

Haley will be praised to Kingdom Come if he re-established smash mouthed 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust football in Pittsburgh ... even if Big Ben reverts back to throwing it 38% of the time while we are running it 62% ... because that's what the Steelers fans love! ...

As for me ... I hope Halians throws it 65% of the time ... because that's our strength now and THAT's the NFL! ...
    I use to say all the time that poor execution by the players on offense were a factor to and that isn't BA's fault......But the Steelers were inconsistent in the red zone and really should have scored more with the talent they had offense....That is why BA is gone.....As for Haley if he turns the Steelers offense into a running offense I hope he is fired quick......Its a passing league and the Steelers have the talent on offense to throw the ball....I'm sure Haley realizes that.....

My Mood
    Mellow
    it doesn't matter if we are a running team, a passing team, a well-balanced team...it doesn't matter if we have a 5000 yard passer, (5) 1000 yard receivers, and (2) 1000 yard rushers...if we put up 20 or less per game those stats or philosophies don't mean jack ****.

if we run the ball 99% of the time and score 35 a game...i'll be happy. if we throw 99% of the time and score 35 a game, i'll be happy. stats are for losers...the only stat that matters is points scored for and against.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Thread Information