Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which scenario unfolds for the Steelers in 2012?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Question Which scenario unfolds for the Steelers in 2012?

I came across this 2 fold scenario that could unfold for the Steelers this season. The AFC North Blog takes one extreme or the other with this topic, so which do you think happens..or maybe it's a combination of the two?

Dream scenario (13-3): Losing a handful of veterans this offseason won't impact the Steelers' play on the field. The Steelers show last year's division champion (the Ravens) and the division's upstart team (the Bengals) that they still own the division as long as Ben Roethlisberger is healthy and the defense is at full strength. A return trip to the Super Bowl would follow their pattern (Pittsburgh went in the 2008 and 2010 seasons).

Roethlisberger thrives in Todd Haley's offense much like Kurt Warner did. The biggest change is a quicker release, which will allow Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders to show off their elusiveness and make yards after the catch. The offensive line becomes the best in the AFC North with center Maurkice Pouncey staying healthy, right tackle Marcus Gilbert continuing to develop and rookies David DeCastro and Mike Adams living up to expectations.

The Steelers' pass rush is even stronger this season because James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley will be on the field together for more than a handful of games this year. The run defense is bolstered by the return of nose tackle Casey Hampton, who is able to start the season despite having knee surgery in January. The combination of Larry Foote and Stevenson Sylvester makes up for the loss of inside linebacker James Farrior.

Nightmare scenario (7-9): Pittsburgh underestimates the loss of leadership after parting ways with Farrior, Hines Ward, Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke. The Steelers also struggle more than expected with the injuries to Hampton and running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee surgery in January). It's tough to win in one of the top divisions in football when you're not at full strength.

The key to any Steelers season is the health of Roethlisberger. While the Steelers' offensive line has the potential to rank among the best, this year could be a transitional one as well. Roethlisberger could take a good number of hits behind a line that starts two rookies and moves tackle Willie Colon to guard. Losing Roethlisberger will result in a losing season. Pittsburgh would then have to depend more on a running game without Mendenhall. Isaac Redman has shown flashes, but he is a question mark as a featured back.

Defensively, the run defense becomes vulnerable in the middle with the injury to Hampton and the loss of Farrior. Hampton starts the season on the physically unable to perform list, and Steve McLendon and rookie Alameda Ta'amu can't fill the void. The pass defense takes a step back if one of the young cornerbacks (Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown) can't replace William Gay.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Under the nightmare scenario, I'm anxious to see just how the team responds in critical situations on the field.

No more Farrior to help get everyone together in the huddle and make a last minute call to stop a big play.

Basically more on defense I'm thinking because Ward wasn't on the field last year hardly at all so the offensive leadership has already swung towards Big Ben.

both scenerios really over value casey hampton

Im going homer all the way...

Ben and the Offense gel and destroy the league.

The defense keeps up with AFCN standards.

We go 15-1

Ben is Back!

My Mood
    Cool
    I'm thinking it's going to be right in the middle of those two. Going to have a few hiccups to start the season off with, everyone getting used to each other and whatnot, but come the mid-point and the end they should be in natural Steelers form.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    both scenerios really over value casey hampton
    Agreed, look at early last season when teams were 2-man cutting hampton to the point where they had to bring in Hokie. Big snack got ATE ALIVE by the Ravens and Texans (i believe). He's a staple in that D no doubt... But with McCleandon adding 30-40 lbs and Ta'Amu hopefully contributing early i dont see Casey being a "make-or-break" guy in this defense anymore!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    Agreed, look at early last season when teams were 2-man cutting hampton to the point where they had to bring in Hokie. Big snack got ATE ALIVE by the Ravens and Texans (i believe). He's a staple in that D no doubt... But with McCleandon adding 30-40 lbs and Ta'Amu hopefully contributing early i dont see Casey being a "make-or-break" guy in this defense anymore!
    Totally agree. There will be a better rotation up front. Atleast initially.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm with TJ on this one, I think it's a combination of the two. The offense is going to struggle a bit to begin with just because it's new. The offensive line is going to have some new faces that will take time to develop and get experience.

By mid season I expect them to really start rolling.

Defense I'm not too concerned about really. I like the speed in the middle of the defense now with Foote back out there and possibly SYlvester seeing an increased role.

I'm not worried about the other CB spot too much at this point, all 3 prospects are very capable.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Blitz, but if the offense doesn't struggle in the beginning..a 13-3 season is well within reach.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Blitz, but if the offense doesn't struggle in the beginning..a 13-3 season is well within reach.
    If the offense can keep the other teams defense on the field for an extra several minutes a game. that is gold in itself.

Thread Information