Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Johnson, your new Steelers full time fullback

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    at least he hit some. unlike frank summers
    Thats Frank "The Tank" Summers to you sir!!!! DJ is the best option they have at FB on the current roster so this is no big suprise seeing the have Pope and Saunders (after suspension) for TE depth.

Draft Pick
    Didn't Redman actually say the running backs would be more involved in the passing game this year?

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    they tendered him, that doesnt usually equate to a roster spot in jeopardy

i think hes a decent lead blocker
    I agree with this sentiment ... he's not as bad a lead blocker as the perception is ... time will tell.

What I like about it is that we are going to have a mammoth offense this season ... linemen ... TE's ... RB's ... Big Ben ... The Pittsburgh Steelers are going to line up as a massive and daunting offense up front and in the running attack! ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

Frank the Tank was $$$$$! hahaha
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    To be honest, the decision came as a bit of relief for Johnson. He spent last season meeting and practicing with the tight ends all week only to be thrown into the backfield as a lead blocker in goal line situations with little preparation.

''Last year, he was just trying to hit it on the fly,'' tight end Heath Miller said.
    Now Johnson - who will keep the No. 85 - sits in meetings trying to absorb as much of new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook as he can while getting a feel for what his role will look like when the season starts in September.

''It's actually a little bit easier,'' Johnson said. ''That's all I've got to learn now is fullback. At first I had to know both tight end positions and fullback. Now I just focus on fullback and just create my better habits on that and become the best at it.''

The position, once a mainstay, has been phased out by most teams in favor of three-receiver sets even in Pittsburgh. The spot has been vacant since Dan Kreider left the team following the 2007 season as former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians opted for a more pass-heavy attack.
    While Haley still plans to let quarterback Ben Roethlisberger do his thing, he also wants to give Pittsburgh's running game a physical presence it has lacked at times since Jerome Bettis' retirement following the 2005 season.

Haley utilized a fullback expertly while head coach Kansas City from 2009-11. Tim Castille helped pave the way for the Chiefs to lead the NFL in rushing while winning an unlikely AFC West title in 2010. The team then signed Le'Ron McClain last season, with the former All-Pro keeping Kansas City productive despite a rash of injuries.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...lback/10907033

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Haley utilized a fullback expertly while head coach Kansas City from 2009-11.
    This is why 85 wont be the fullback Aug 9th

Thread Information