Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Max Starks updates; no contact with Steelers so far

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    If LT comes down to Scott, Essex and Adams and Adams isnt ready, Starks better get a call, or Colon back to RT and Gilbert over to LT. Otherwise this line will still be terrible.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
    This line won't be terrible again for a while ... dominating? ... not sure I prefer to go there yet ... but this line will be far improved over the past few seasons ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

Rookie Free Agent
    [QUOTE=cmerrifield;496240]If LT comes down to Scott, Essex and Adams and Adams isnt ready, Starks better get a call, or Colon back to RT and Gilbert over to LT. Otherwise this line will still be terrible.

Pretty much agree with that assessment and will comment later. But first, -----

Who am I talking about here? He was drafted in 2004. He did not start day 1 as some expected him to. In 2005 he started all 20 games and led the Steelers to the world championship. Uhh he is one of the only two starters remaining with the team from the 04 draft blah blah blah. Okay, enough of the nonsense. Of course I am referring to Max Starks who happens to be one of my favorite players. Whether or not he is now finally and realistically expendable is possible. But thinking Max Starks is a backup caliber player makes me laugh.

I don't usually get into OL stuff it isn't my thing. Most of us casual fans just watch the ball but this one has really got me baffled. Now either the Steelers are the most clever of all NFL teams or the luckiest as far as Max Starks goes--- I'm not sure. But one thing is for sure it is confirming my opinion that just about all these other NFL teams are run by a bunch of morons.

Besides the fact that Starks has been a very valuable player for the Steelers the past 8 years, last years events certainly confirmed that fact. A lot of fans were predicting disaster for the Steelers going into the season with all those question marks on the O line [Me too]. And can anyone argue that things did not look good after the first five games. I mean like 2 and 3 with no real quality wins. To say that was getting off to a rocky start would be polite. It looked like a 6-10 type team with a plenty of luck needed to get the six. Anyway the Steelers managed to turn things around a bit after Starks came back and stabilized the O line. My point is Starks is not a backup OT.

Now the drafting of Adams was certainly a good move. The possibility of getting a long time solid player could not be passed up. But that does not change the value of a healthy Max Starks. If Adams can do the job then of course Starks will have to move on. I would like to see that for him since I believe that if he goes to a team that was at least a 9-7 sort they will then contend for the championship. That's how good I think Max Starks is.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Max Starks has played his last game as a Steeler .They wanted to release him last year but was brought in cause of injuries only because he new the offense now things are different with Haley
    It wasn't just because of injuries! It was because the kid they thought could take the spot sucked azz! What's the other Scott's name? That's right, he's long gone!

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    If LT comes down to Scott, Essex and Adams and Adams isnt ready, Starks better get a call, or Colon back to RT and Gilbert over to LT. Otherwise this line will still be terrible.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
    ^^^^ exactly...

Max is a soft flexi LT, put a fork in him!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

I would not be against bringing him back, but preferably as a back up. He is a strange player to follow. One day he'll absolutely dominate the likes of Freeney and Dumervile, only to get dominated by a no-name backup LB or DE. He does have a ton of experience and I would not at all mind having him to help coach Adams and Gilbert a little. I don't see him as a permanent starter in the NFL anymore though.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There's no way I want Colon back at Left Tackle. The dude hasn't played in 2 years and before that he was adequate but nothing spectacular. If Adams isn't ready then I'd be content with J. Scott on the right and Gilbert on the left. I'm still not convinced that Adams can't be a franchise RT and Gilbert on the left. OTA's and mini camps are not a definite sign of things to come, it's a learning process to see who's going to work out where.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Colon is a guard or cut. His days at tackle are gone.

C-town

I don't know. Starks pulled their chestnuts out of the fire last season. Ben was getting killed more than ever because of oline.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Last year we didn't have Adams and Gilbert was an unknown commodity. We have seen the last of Max Starks.

Time to move forward.

C-town

Thread Information