Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3/4 vs. 4/3

Bookmark and Share
    Reppin' 724

3/4 vs. 4/3

Well with all of the thread hi-jacking going on about the 3/4 D and the 4/3 D, I figured I wouls search to see if there was an actual thread where the two were being compared, Mod's if I am wrong please combine this thread with that one, but I couldn't find one.

Anyways, I seriously think we could run a 4/3 right now. The only thing we would need to pick up is another good DT. This would eliminate LB depth issues right away, and we already have two very solid DT's with Hoke being number 2. The secondary wouldn't change much, but I really think a 4/3 would help us out with our depth issues at LB. Farrior is a natural OLB anyways, and Foote is proving he is a beast at MLB IMO.

What do you guys thinks?

3-4>4-3 nufced

I dont quite understand the hostility torwards the 4-3, it did win us 4 superbowls
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

Yeah, but there's something about the 3-4 that just seems better. There's more blitzing, more complexity, and to a certain extent more aggressiveness. Plus I like the fact that for a long time we were the only team that used a 3-4, and now everybody's copying off of us, lol.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerDan43 View Post
    I dont quite understand the hostility torwards the 4-3, it did win us 4 superbowls
    Ok well, i think that athletes are miles ahead of where they were in the 70s and when you have the right personel (like we do) the more athletic linebackers and corners make for a more effective defensive scheme. With the 3-4, you still rush that 4th guy, its just a mystery from where and it can be hell for the opposing offense to pick up. I would rather have the 4 linebackers that can blitz as well as cover than a basic 4 pass rushers on every play....jmo

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This team is not built to run a 4-3 it would take years of drafting players and FA aquisitions to make the change effectively. LB's in a 43 a different than a 34. They are asked to do different things in different ways and are generally bigger than our LB's are. the 43 defense of the 70's faced a much different league than it does now.

43 defensive lineman are BIG guys. In otherwords we would really need 4 Casey hamptons to run it effectively. Aaron Smith, Hoke, are too small. Keisel is borderline but could work. We'd need to draft all new DL and change our LB's too.

It's a whole new ball game when you run a 43 the majority of the time. It just a different style of defense. We run a 43 at times during games but its only for a few plays here and there or a series or too just to confuse the opposing offense.

The zoneblitz defense that we run, is a defense that when it's run right and firing on all cylinders it's VERY hard to stop. This team is a 34 team and from what Ive been reading and the fact that Lebeau and his staff are staying on, Tomlin knows we're built for it and that's what we're going to be the majority of the time. I dont want a 43 defense, the 34 is a wickedly aggressive scheme that we are very good at.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
    ... With the 3-4, you still rush that 4th guy, its just a mystery from where and it can be hell for the opposing offense to pick up. I would rather have the 4 linebackers that can blitz as well as cover than a basic 4 pass rushers on every play....jmo
    Exactly!!!! Very flexible scheme.
    Last edited by 58Lambert; 01-26-2007 at 11:54 AM.

A ton of thanks goes to both HouseOfSteel and TopGun for my cool avatar and sig!!
    Thanks also to BlacknGoldBleeder for referring me to this site.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    . In otherwords we would really need 4 Casey hamptons to run it effectively.
    ummm not quite lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Dude, look at all the 43 teams in the league, the majority of them have a TON of beer on their front line. It's the way the defense is made because the majority of the pressure in a 43 comes from the front 4 as opposed to a 34 where the LB's get the most pressure.

There's no way our front 3 plus even Hoke or any of our guys could run a consistent 43 defense and be effective.

Yeah but 4 hamtoms would be hard to block....but a very slow pass rush lol, how about 2 hamptoms, a peppers, and a stahan lol

Thread Information